Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Briefcase strap repair

Benzadmiral

Call Me a Cab
Hello, all,

Did a search on this, and the only post I found didn't really apply to my problem. Since 1994 I've been relying on a leather saddlebag-like briefcase with shoulder strap from Eddie Bauer. The bag itself suits me in a way nothing else I've seen on line or in stores could, unless I go custom from the Custom Hide people. The briefcase and shoulder strap are both in fine condition.

However, the issue is with the hardware holding the shoulder strap to the bag. I wear it on my left shoulder, and so the rear connection, which gets less wear, is fine. But the brass hardware in the front is worn, and every so often the strap pulls free of its moorings.

I've been to one old-time shoemaker in town (and there aren't very many left at all), and he has no idea where he could obtain similar hardware. Does anybody know of a supplier, or a repair shop, who can deal with this sort of thing? I see a few "briefcase repair" places on line; any recommendations?

AEH

One of the Regulars
I'm not sure I understand exactly what you are looking for, but Google "leather hardware", and you probably will find something your shoemaker can use for this repair.

Benzadmiral

Call Me a Cab
AEH, I did that, and this handbag hardware supplies site, http://www.iasltd.com/, shows a pic of exactly what I'm thinking of. A search on that site brings up "swivel snaps" and D-rings. All of them have to be made to order -- and the company is in Hong Kong. But the terminology will give me something to search with!

Edward

Bartender
AEH, I did that, and this handbag hardware supplies site, http://www.iasltd.com/, shows a pic of exactly what I'm thinking of. A search on that site brings up "swivel snaps" and D-rings. All of them have to be made to order -- and the company is in Hong Kong. But the terminology will give me something to search with!

Not sure where you are, but if there is a yachting supplier within easy reach (or online), check out that, they might well have something that would do.

Benzadmiral

Call Me a Cab
AEH, I saw that LeatherSmithDesigns page first, but I got the impression, probably silly, that those prices were for bulk purchases. I sure don't need hundreds of the little devils.

I stopped at another shoe repair shop near my work yesterday evening, armed with my bag and with pics of the D-rings and swivel snaps. The proprietor there will check with his hardware supplier, but if worse comes to worst, he says he can surely use the ones I spotted on www.buckleguy.com.

It'll be nice not to have to spend over $300 for a new briefcase that I'd have to have customized anyway!

Last edited:

AEH

One of the Regulars
Hi Benzadmiral, You can save 1 of each item to the shopping cart at LeatherSmithDesigns, but as you have found there is a lot of suppliers out there :)

Stanley Doble

Call Me a Cab
There must be a harness shop around somewhere, horses are everywhere these days. A harness maker will put a strap on there you won't wear out.

Fifty150

One Too Many
TandyLeatherFactory.gif

Benzadmiral

Call Me a Cab
Update, all,

I ordered the D-rings and swivel snaps from Buckleguy.com, and had a local shoe repair place do the installation. Cost: about $70. Since the bag originally cost me about $110 18 years ago, I figure my cost-to-own on the briefcase comes out to $10 a year!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner