Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Brim Cutters {Home made}

thespoiler

One of the Regulars
For a good while I have seemed to have a hard time getting brims cut for conversions. I don't have a Western Store nearby and the most excellent Rounding Jack made by Mark DeCou never fit my budget. I looked at the M&T brim trimmer but never got around to getting one. I know some guys use scissors very successfully but I probably wouldn't have the skills and would hurry it up and make a mess....

Anyway, I fooled around a little bit and constructed a pretty good brim cutter for less than $6 with stuff from Lowes. Below is a picture of it and how it worked on my first try. It got quite a smooth cut once made a few adjustments and learned how to use it. I put a stretcher in the hat to have something firm inside the hat to work against. I cut the brim to 2 7/8", ie the 7/8 block. I made blocks form 2 3/8" to 2 7/8" in i/8 " increments which I figure will take care of my needs.

The construction of the cutter is self explanatory, but I took more photos as I made it and will post them with dimensions and a parts list if anybody is interested..One caution: Unless you want to go to the emergency room for stitches and get blood all over your hat and tool, respect the other end of the cutting blade....I wrapped mine in duct tape.

Good luck if you want to go this route.

13.jpg

14.jpg

15.jpg

16.jpg

17.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

randooch

I'll Lock Up
That looks well-constructed and accurate to boot. I'm a dense fellow, though, and wonder how it works. Does the hat move? Do you move the wooden part with the arc cut around the hat? What does the stick in photo #15 do? Do you have plans to put a how-to video on youtube?

Seth Hawkins

One of the Regulars
I'm guessing the wood part with the arc lays on top of the brim, with the arc against the crown. It looks like you could adjust the brim width by replacing the wood block being held by the clamp. The razor blade obviously does the cutting as the wood piece is moved around the hat keeping the arc against the crown. Not sure about the stick, though.

navarre

Vendor
Way to take things into your own hands. Looks more like a real hat making tool than I think the majority realize. Hat makers are one of the "necessity is the mother of invention" types. Or so I have found. Kudos!

thespoiler

One of the Regulars
Thanks for the comments......The stick is just to separate the felt to show the smooth cut for the photo. It doesn't have anything to do with the cutting.....I think a video is beyond me but my cutter operates on the same principal as the "Rounding Jack" shown here, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M3Fpgp4Ml1Q,.... anyway it gets the job done that I needed doing...

DJH

I'll Lock Up
Thanks for the comments......The stick is just to separate the felt to show the smooth cut for the photo. It doesn't have anything to do with the cutting.....I think a video is beyond me but my cutter operates on the same principal as the "Rounding Jack" shown here, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M3Fpgp4Ml1Q,.... anyway it gets the job done that I needed doing...

I'd really like that Rounding Jack in the video - even though I'll almost certainly never have to trim a brim in my lifetime! :D:D

Harry Jones

New in Town
Very impressive interpretation of the more elaborate brim trimmers! Have been thinking about trying a conversion, and as an amature woodworker, I love this tool. I will be trying my own version as soon as I find a suitable cowboy hat. Thanks for your contribution.

Harry Jones

New in Town
Finally had a chance to work on a conversion. My homemade hat jack worked fine. Only one size choice, but if I want another size in the future, I'll make another.

p10002722.jpg

I tried to edit and bring up your photo.
I had no luck, please try again.
RBH

Last edited by a moderator:

Harry Jones

New in Town
Yea, I didn't need it to be adjustable. I have my favorite brim size, so if I convert any other hats, I will probably want it the same size. Simple to make (for an amateur woodworker with some tools: table saw, drill press band saw) so if I ever want a different size brim, I'll just make another. Mostly just wanted to see if it would work. The cut came out near perfect, no adjustment or sanding necessary.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
direfulzealot