Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

BRIM RESHAPING

Havana Joe

Familiar Face
Hopefully I'm not asking an already answered question, but the search did me no good.

I want to reshape the brim on an Akubra, probably a Cattleman, with a sort of curl similar to Hugh Jackman's hat in Australia. I really like that brim.
I read that the Jackman's hat was made from an Akubra.

Ahat1.jpg

Ahat3.jpg

Ahat5.jpg

Ahat4.jpg

Ahat6.jpg

I am thinking that by taking my time and steaming it/working the brim, I may be able to do it. I also thought of wetting it or steaming it and somehow folding the brim edge up around a shape, like a section of tubing/hose. After that, I can work on the overall brim shape.

Suggestions will be appreciated.

Does this sound feasible or like the pipe-dream of someone on hallucinogenic substances on Mr. Toad's Wild Ride?

Havana Joe

Familiar Face
Pencil

RobFedoraField said:
I know this isn't much help, but you might want to do some searches on a pencil role brim

Thanks. It was helpful, and I appreciate that you took the time!

I've been doing that search but on the forum I find nothing (could be my search incompetence) and on the web I just get examples.

Back in 2005 I bought a Sunbody Palm Leaf hat on Whiskey Row in Prescott, AZ. It was a Gus with a 4" brim, low crown, and a pencil roll.

Like this one:

https://ssl.webwize.com/Sunbody/moreinfo.cfm?Product_ID=86

I got a lot of positive comments on that hat. I still have it, although it has a tear on the front of the crown. I can and will get another, but when I saw Jackman's hat in Australia I thought "Holy Cow! That's it!" I just really like the combination of the western flare with the fedora type crown. I'm moving back to really rural N.E. AZ and I tend to dress rugged much more than I do spiffy, so I want a hat like Jackman's because it isn't the typical "cowboy" look.

J.T.Marcus

Call Me a Cab
When you have a bound brim edge, putting that much curl in it is usually quite easy. The edge binding, like the ribbon, is a cotton/rayon blend which shrinks when it gets wet and then dries. This is what fits the ribbon to the taper of the hat's crown, and what causes a slight pencil curl. By allowing the hat to soak in cold water (about 30 minutes); then shaping it, as you desire and allowing it to dry, you will get that much curl on just about any hat with a bound edge. :)

Here's one I did.

P1070175.jpg

And another.

P1060809.jpg

And one more.

P1050171.jpg

In none of those cases did I deliberately try to put the curl in. It just happened as the edge binding shrank. The upside is that the curl is not so severe that you can't still snap the brim down. This is the same hat as the first picture, above.

P1070179.jpg

Havana Joe

Familiar Face
J.T.Marcus said:
When you have a bound brim edge, putting that much curl in it is usually quite easy. The edge binding, like the ribbon, is a cotton/rayon blend which shrinks when it gets wet and then dries. This is what fits the ribbon to the taper of the hat's crown, and what causes a slight pencil curl. By allowing the hat to soak in cold water (about 30 minutes); then shaping it, as you desire and allowing it to dry, you will get that much curl on just about any hat with a bound edge. :)

Wow! THANKS!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akubraacornfawn