Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Brim up or brim down

GHT

I'll Lock Up
Wearing the brim in the upright,
just like a Homburg hat,
exposes me to the elements
and makes my face look fat.

Advancing years have taken their toll
with elephant skin and multiple chins.
That's why my fedora, is worn brim down.
It hides a multitude of sins.

fedora-png-clip-art-29.png

Winston Carter

Practically Family
Wearing the brim in the upright,
just like a Homburg hat,
exposes me to the elements
and makes my face look fat.

Advancing years have taken their toll
with elephant skin and multiple chins.
That's why my fedora, is worn brim down.
It hides a multitude of sins.

View attachment 132206
I guess the reason I like my hats curled up is because I have an oblonged oval face. I have to steam every hat to fit my head. Usually making them longer and higher hump on crown.

The only hat I currently own that I wear brim up is a Winston Fedora made in Haifa, Israel, that I got from fellow Lounger Matt (a.k.a. @Historyteach24). It originally came with a Center Dent crease, but Matt had given it a Telescope crease to convert it into a Pork Pie. I loved the look, but it didn't quite fit on my head so I re-creased it and ended up with a C-Crown with a Tugboat rake. Before shots on the left, after shots on the right:

No6UkTO.jpg

That was the best I could do because the crown is so low and comically tapered, but the hat now fits my head like a fur felt watch cap. And here are the obligatory head shots:

8UUp98t.jpg

The colors of the felt and ribbon are more accurate in these photos. I think the crown is too short and too tapered for me, but I like the hat so much that I wear it anyway, especially since it seems to annoy all of the right people. :cool:

Except from western's that I steam down a little in front most all my fedoras I prefer a brim steamed curled up all the way around. I know i'm not the only one.:):)

Bob Roberts was famous for his brim up photos, but he wasn’t an exclusively brim up guy. Bob rocked the look but it’s just not for me. As a tribute to MIA Bob I’ll occasionally post a “brims up for Bob” photo but I like my fedoras with the brim snapped down. I don’t wear pork pies so lords hats and homburgs are the only hats I wear brim up. To my eye, brims down look better on everyone regardless of face shape or body type, but vive la différence.

Winston Carter

Practically Family
The only hat I currently own that I wear brim up is a Winston Fedora made in Haifa, Israel, that I got from fellow Lounger Matt (a.k.a. @Historyteach24). It originally came with a Center Dent crease, but Matt had given it a Telescope crease to convert it into a Pork Pie. I loved the look, but it didn't quite fit on my head so I re-creased it and ended up with a C-Crown with a Tugboat rake. Before shots on the left, after shots on the right:

No6UkTO.jpg

That was the best I could do because the crown is so low and comically tapered, but the hat now fits my head like a fur felt watch cap. And here are the obligatory head shots:

8UUp98t.jpg

The colors of the felt and ribbon are more accurate in these photos. I think the crown is too short and too tapered for me, but I like the hat so much that I wear it anyway, especially since it seems to annoy all of the right people. :cool:
Now that's what i'm talkin' about. A little attitude. Looks good you got an oval face like me.

msoliday

One of the Regulars
I tend to wear my hats brim up about 50% of the time. For me it's more about being formal (primarily brim down on medium to wide brim fedoras) or informal (brim up and stingy to medium wide brims). I like wearing them both ways equally! :)

And Zombie, that pork is killer!

-Mike

8408443d7a353cfb44e387275b8d45a9.jpg

IMG_5418.jpg

Winston Carter

Practically Family
I tend to wear my hats brim up about 50% of the time. For me it's more about being formal (primarily brim down on medium to wide brim fedoras) or informal (brim up and stingy to medium wide brims). I like wearing them both ways equally! :)

And Zombie, that pork is killer!

-Mike

View attachment 132327
View attachment 132328
Excellent. Stetson make a dam good snap brim for the Curl Up Gang.:):)

Winston Carter

Practically Family
Bob Roberts was famous for his brim up photos, but he wasn’t an exclusively brim up guy. Bob rocked the look but it’s just not for me. As a tribute to MIA Bob I’ll occasionally post a “brims up for Bob” photo but I like my fedoras with the brim snapped down. I don’t wear pork pies so lords hats and homburgs are the only hats I wear brim up. To my eye, brims down look better on everyone regardless of face shape or body type, but vive la différence.
Rodney Crowell has been rockin' the style for about 15 years. Looks good on
him.
gettyimages-649066500-f01d0719-8d43-48b5-aedc-8e4270cf3077.jpg
154345310.jpg
la-et-ms-emmylou-harris-rodney-crowell-hollywo-001.jpg
maxresdefault.jpg
oie_H1iDbFpDpkXt.png

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner