Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Brim Width and Head Size

scottyrocks

I'll Lock Up
A hat does not have to be a style thing. It just is for a lot of people. You, Joe, do not look like the type of person who deliberately goes after a style. That hat just plain works for you.

danofarlington

My Mail is Forwarded Here
My concern is that the 3" brim might be too small for me - any thoughts or suggestions on that ?

Try the 3", you might like it. At least it'll be style variety. I think I know which dimensions are best on me, but I like to push them and go for variety. On different days, feel different, wear different stuff, have different places to go, it just expands your toolbox.

Buggnkat

Familiar Face
Joe I like the straw in the pic, it really works for you. 3 inch might still work on a fedora with your shoulders and not look too small.

One thing to keep in mind is the Cowboy hats need the bigger brims because of the tall crowns, but that balances the hat and makes things symetrical. A 3 inch brim with a not so tall crown will work I think with you face and build.

Joe Rotax

Familiar Face
Try the 3", you might like it. At least it'll be style variety.

I think that's what I'm going do - it's the only way to find out and, yeah if nothing else it'll be a bit of a variation.

Going to get this one from Callister's in Utah as they seem to have the best price:
SF04116130-2_52410994_large.jpg

Joe Rotax

Familiar Face
Joe I like the straw in the pic ...

Yeah, that's a Stetson Grant. They also make a Grant model in 4X beaver and I have one of those as well - it's the same profile as the straw near enough and pretty comfortable.

I think the crown on the Range that I'm looking at is 4&5/8 same as the Grant so we'll see how it works with that crown height and the 3" brim. Only way is to try it and maybe the smaller brim won't hit the headrest in my truck so much...lol

Joao Encarnado

I'll Lock Up
I wear westerns with a 3 1/2 to 4" brim, on a Country were this kind of hat is not common.
I do get some compliments like "Hi cowboy" or "yeeeee haw".
I do see more people using fedoras with short brim not more wide than 2".

The Good

Call Me a Cab
I think lately I'm still preferring a width of around 2 inches to 2 3/8 inches for a fedora. Moderate brims that are slightly narrow. My favorite fedora is 2 1/8 inches wide, although I cut it that way myself, it was originally bound and curled up (a homburg) at about 2 1/2 inches or more.

MCGMB

New in Town
IMHO, the taller and straighter the crown, the "bigger" the entire hat looks. Think about a typical cowboy hat. Those are tall, straight crowns.

Yeah, that's true, and another issue to consider how "big" of a hat you want. The width and color of the ribbon can affect the "bigness" of the entire hat too, and by association the brim.

As has been suggested, the best route is to try on a bunch of hats, and see what looks good. But when you factor in the huge number of combinations of:

-Brim Width
-Crown height
-Crown shape
-Hat color
-Ribbon width
-Ribbon color

It's hard to find a place that has all variances. That's why I was looking for examples of hats that have wide brims, but just don't look like they're as wide as they measure. That's an independent quality of percpetion as I see it. Open Road type hats seem to fit that order very well, just wondering if there are others.

jlee562

I'll Lock Up
There's just too many variables to really say definitively. What achieves the effect you're describing is going to be different from person to person because of their own build and face shape.

BriarWolf

One of the Regulars
I am possessed of a rather sizable noggin, and am aware this affects what sort of lids and brim width look good on one's head. I own a panama with a 2 1/2 inch brim, and am desirous of a fedora, but have been harangued by certain members of the family who insist it looks rubbish on my head and beg me to stick to flat caps. Now I love a flatcap as much as the next man but the sun demands a brim. So I'm seeking a bit of advice. Is there a certain formula for determining the right crown and brim for large heads on short fellows?

EDIT: Noticed a bartender folded this into the proper thread, good show.

Last edited:

tommyK

One Too Many
As others have stated BriarWolf, make a pilgrimage to your local hat shop, try on some things. Don't bring anyone with you, decide for yourself. You may find over time that your taste in dimensions may change, mine did. I once thought that a 5 1/2 (open) crown with 2 1/2 brim was perfect for me. I still think they look good. But I have come to decide that I look better in a taller crown and bigger brim, more in the 2 3/4 area. I'm a moderately big guy with a big head. Has anyone ever looked bad in a vintage Stetson Open Road? I think a good looking hat looks good on anyone.

barrowjh

One Too Many
2 1/2" brims seem to be the most common fedora brim width before the stingy-brim trend took over. I think 2 3/8" is the recommended minimum (dermatologists? I forget which organization) for sun protection. I believe the 'sweet spot' brim width is a combination of head size and shoulder width, a proportionality, but I don't think anyone has ever proposed a formula for determining the best brim width (or I missed that thread). The folks at Optimo advised me that 2 1/4" was right for me, maybe 2 3/8", but in practice I rarely wear anything less than 2 1/2" for a fedora, sliding up to 2 5/8' for the Strat/OR/San Antonio fedora/westerns, and 3" - 3 1/4" for westerns. I wear one 3 1/2" only because it is a 'Beaver 100' and I cannot bring myself to cut that brim down, but 3 1/8th is probably the preferred western width for me.

HamilcarBarca3

One of the Regulars
Depends on how your built. Personally I think something with a 2 1/4 to 2 1/2 is best for my built. If I wear a jacket with built up and slightly expended shoulders I'll wear a 2 3/4 brim. Anything more and I think it can look comedic on me :p Best to go to a hat shop and ask for advice or ask for a second opinion from someone you trust.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran