Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Bringing back the boater+Introduction

Bertie.Wooster

One of the Regulars
Hello,

I don't think I did a formal introduction when I joined so here is a short background about myself.

I am a 13 year old Korean studying in New Zealand (marking my 5th year this year), at St Andrew's College. I really respect the past and I am a fan of morse code, music and hats.

It wasn't until early 2016, my mother bought me a 'Gentlemen' book and as I was going through the hat section, I found 'my' chosen hat. A boater. I immediately fell in love with it.
That well-made and rigid straw hat with a striking ribbon was a stunner!

(Mean-while somewhere through 2016), In our inquiry subject, we were to investigate the history of our college and do an extension research if possible. I did a specific report on the founders and our uniform. (Our college was started in 1917, marking 100th year anniversary next year). What I discovered in delight was that a boater was part of our uniform. Of course, most British public schools and New Zealand being a British-influenced country must've had a boater.

Here is a picture of students from circa 1940.
x27xHBy.png

Boaters in our college existed until 2007 and when terminated out of the views and our fashionable boater of navy/white ribbon and cross of St Andrews disappeared from New Zealand.

Chapter 2

As we celebrate our centennial year, I will write a email to the Rector to bring back our boaters!

Is that a good idea?

1961MJS

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Hi Bertie

All the best in getting the traditions back on track, but have you ever worn a boater? The reason I asked is that 5-10 years ago, when I started buying hats, I thought boaters were great looking. I tried one on at Levine's in Saint Louis. Boaters are stiff, rock hard hats with no give, at least the ones Levine's had were.

All the best.

Hi Bertie

All the best in getting the traditions back on track, but have you ever worn a boater? The reason I asked is that 5-10 years ago, when I started buying hats, I thought boaters were great looking. I tried one on at Levine's in Saint Louis. Boaters are stiff, rock hard hats with no give, at least the ones Levine's had were.

All the best.
Yes they are, but they are cool!
Dobbs 50s Boater 20Aug16 mug.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
direfulzealot