Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

British Colonial Decor

Mojave Jack

One Too Many
Rather than hi-jack Nick's thread on British Colonialism to talk about British COlonial decor, I thought I'd start a new thread. I'm slowly bringing my living room around to British Colonial, and have started with overstuffed leather furniture. Now I need some good lamps to replace our current wrought iron ones, and other items. I've got a pretty big mantle, too, though currently I have a great big time zone clock which takes up pretty much the whole area over the fireplace (otherwise I'd try to find a good Martini-Henry to mount there!).

I'd really like to pull up the carpeting and put in Pergo, then throw down one of those faux zebra rugs that are made from cowhides. That may have to wait, since the carpeting is only two years old (came new with the house).

What are others that like this style doing?

Hemingway Jones

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Jack, I have a few items of this style in my room.
Here is my desk:
The desk is from Pier One. I'm not sure where I got the fan. The bookends are in that style.

Here's another picture showing my Serengeti print, rustic tv stand, cartridge case for storage, and shelves. (Sorry that I'm in it; it is discarded from another thread!)
IKEA has a neat sheepskin throw and a rather convincing zebra skin I would like to pick up.
You're lucky; right now your aesthetic is pretty much in vogue. ;)

Nick Charles

Practically Family
As far a furniture goes have you taken a look at this. Its pretty cool and great looking stuff.
104-9027050-1347952

Mojave Jack

One Too Many
HJ, I have that same fan! A hunter, isn't it? I hate spending time, energy, and money on a particular look, only to have it ruined by my modern television, stereo, or other modern contrivances. I hunted high and low for a fan just like that instead of a plastic Wal-Mart fan. Your bookends are a great idea, too. I have a set of antique vellum-bound books on my mantle that would look great with those kinds of bookends.

Nick, I'm searching for a copy of that book as I type! I really like that term "under canvas." That reminds, me, too, that I saw some decent bamboo folding chairs at Bed, Bath, and Beyond or one of those.

Topcat, what a great site. I see a replica Ming Dynasty lamp in the background of a shot of the Cricket Club Chair that would go great in my living room. Even if I can't afford their furniture, the setups they show are a great source of inspiration.

Mojave Jack

One Too Many
JDCrockett said:
Check out this link:
http://www.bombaycompany.com/gp/node/n/14096131/103-4054753-6463035?_encoding=UTF8&bmBrand=core

I've always enjoyed browsing their stores in the Malls. I've often thought that their stuff had a "British Colonial" feel to it and indeed some seems to be made in India etc. They often have in store sales and prices generally seem
ok.

Bombay Co. is great! I keep going back every day to try to win my Dream Room. Hmm, what do you suppose that would look like?!

Nick, is that a BR hat? I like that hat band.

Mojave Jack

One Too Many
Nick Charles said:
Jack its actually from Abercrombie. The band is cool, don't know what it is though.

Abercrombie? Really?! Must be vintage from when Abercombie & Fitch was a real outfitters, eh? It looks like some of the zebra bands I've seen. I think MK or maybe Feraud has a similar one, if I'm not mistaken. I actually changed my puggaree out for the plain wool band on my slouch so I could wear it in more situations, but I'd like to be able to pull that band off.

Zemke and MysteryGal, did you check out the link to Bauer International that TopCat posted?! Wow, some really great stuff very similar to the pics you posted. The fold out trunk bed is really something, though I think the Commodore Steamer Desk is my favorite piece. I think that chair you posted is actually from Bauer, Zemke.

Nick Charles

Practically Family
I haven't worn the hat yet, I just got it about a week ago. Maybe this week. What did your do with the pug, I'm actually looking to dye that hat from the WWII shorts thread and make it into a Pattersonesque hat.

Mojave Jack

One Too Many
Nick Charles said:
I haven't worn the hat yet, I just got it about a week ago. Maybe this week. What did your do with the pug, I'm actually looking to dye that hat from the WWII shorts thread and make it into a Pattersonesque hat.

I keep it around so I can change it out for a late-war correct slouch. They just slide on and off, and the folds are permanantly sewn in. The wool band is good for anyhting pre-1941ish, I think. I'm not certain on the dates.

Lawrance Ordnance has a great selection of puggarees, though, and great prces. I was astounded at how quickly I got my stuff. Really great customer service, too. (No, I don't get a commission! I was just really impressed with their service.) I'd really like to get one of their 1896 New South Wales Mounted Rifles slouches. It is tan instead of green, and really reminds me of Christopher George's hat on Rat Patrol.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
green_entrails