Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

BRITISH COLONIALISM

Story

I'll Lock Up
What about Bollywood's offerings?

Was poking around IMDB and found this -

Lagaan: Once Upon a Time in India (2001)
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0169102/
The rains have failed, and the people of a small Indian village in Victorian India hope that they will be excused from paying the crippling land tax that their British rulers have imposed. Instead, the capricious British officer in charge challenges them to a game of cricket, a game totally alien and unknown to them. If they win, they get their wish; if they lose, however, the increased tax burden will destroy their lives. The people are terrified, but one man thinks the challenge is worth staking their entire future on. Will he convince the villagers to give it their best shot?

HEAT & DUST
http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00004R68V/026-7145018-7790801?v=glance&n=573398

One story is that of Olivia (Greta Scacchi), the young and beautiful wife of Douglas Rivers (Christopher Casenove), a minor district official in colonial India. The film tells of her arrival in India, newly wed and in love with her husband, her subsequent boredom with the staid, British Colonial community, and her blossoming infatuation with the Nawab (Shashi Kapoor), a very handsome and charming, local Indian prince. It is her romance with the Nawab that is to result in a life changing action, one that would forever cause a permanent rift with Douglas, changing her life forever.

The second story is that of Anne (Julie Christie), a beautiful and independent woman, a descendant of Olivia's sister. Nearly sixty years after Olivia's transgression, fascinated by the story of the deceased Olivia, Anne goes to India, visiting those locations where Olivia had lived and those which would have been a part of her existence at the time. As did Olivia, she falls under India's spell. As did Olivia, she, too, has an Anglo-Indian love affair. Hers is with her landlord, Inder Lal (Zakir Hussain). Anne's life essentially picks up where the thread of Olivia's life left off, giving the reader a powerful sense of de-ja vu, bringing reincarnation to mind.

This film is a beguiling story of two women from two different generations who come under the spell of India. It is evocative of British colonial India, as well as of India of the early nineteen eighties. During both eras, Anglo-Indian relations are pivotal to the budding romances, and the film is evocative of the rhythms of Indian life in all its richness and tumultuousness, as well as its lingering poverty and superstitions. Redolent of a time gone by, it is also an interesting dichotomy of the good and bad in both cultures, Anglo and Indian, and the influence that both cultures have on these two women, who are so different, yet so alike.

WATER
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0240200/
Set in the 1930s during the rise of the independence struggles against British colonial rule, the film examines the plight of a group of widows forced into poverty at a temple in the holy city of Varanasi. It focuses on a relationship between one of the widows, who wants to escape the social restrictions imposed on widows, and a man who is from a lower caste and a follower of Mahatma Gandhi.

Story

I'll Lock Up
And from Kenya...

Home grown Mau Mau movie gets premiere date
KENYA INDEZ

A Kenyan cinematic account of the Mau Mau rising against the British colonial authorities in the 1950s will be released on June 1 Madaraka Day, the anniversary of the day the country became self-governing.

Enough Is Enough
by director Kibaara Nto Kaugi is Kenya's first home-grown feature film about the Mau Mau, a divisive subject for Kenyans that still occupies an ambiguous place in their history. Kaugi's film about the forest fighters who launched an uprising against white colonists in Kenya in the 1950s was shot on a shoestring budget of one million Kenyan shillings ($12,290), with many of the cast and crew agreeing to work for nothing.

Kaugi said the film’s release had been delayed by is in its second preview after two edits. "This is a film about the freedom struggle and it is appropriate they release it on a day that symbolises the struggle for independence," said Kaugi. A 30 minute short film about the uprising, The Oath, has also been made by Nathan Collett and Leslie Khadondi of Kenya’s Hot Sun Films company.

See also
http://www.nationaudio.com/News/DailyNation/Supplements/lifestyle/09112003/story091112.htm

carebear

My Mail is Forwarded Here
A bit of trivia, Denys Hatton was flying to see (the married) Lady June Carberry for an assignation when he died in the plane crash at the end of "Out of Africa".

Lady Carberry and her husband (an Irish lord) also figure in the true murder case that "White Mischief" is about.

Apparently she was quite the wild woman and perhaps a bit insane. Her father once bet her some large amount to swim across the shark-filled bay at Durban. She took it and made the swim.

I only wish I was actually related, I'm pretty sure my people just worked on their estates.

Nick Charles

Practically Family
I've got a new one,, The Sleeping Dictionary.

B00007LB4B.01._SS500_SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

An eager young Englishman is dispatched to Sarawak to become part of the British colonial government, encounters some unorthodox local traditions, and finds himself faced with tough decisions of the heart involving the beautiful young Selima, the unwitting object of his affections.

SPIKE

New in Town
Pith Helmet Adventure Films

Ridley & Tony Scott are getting ready to Produce a film called "Churchill At War" starring Brendan Gleeson. I don't know if the story is about Churchill's early days or not.

The Pith Helmet Adventure Film is probably my favorite category. The films mentioned earlier are all good ( When "The Ghost and the Darkness" was about to be made, Kevin Costner lobbied hard for Michael Douglas's part, but M.D. was also producer so that did not happen,) I would also reccomend "Red Dust" with Jean Harlow and Clark Gable, "The Wind and the Lion", "The African Queen" and only for the clothes the most recent "The Mummy" and it's sequel. Lee Marvin and Roger Moore did a film together in the 70's set in Africa (sorry,I can't remember the title) It was OK but not great....but the costumes are fantastic.I also love the scenes in "Legends of the Fall" when Brad Pitt's character goes hunting in Africa and Southeast Asia.

I wore a pith helmet in one of the films I did...."The Rough Riders", but only for a couple of days while playing an Officer in a background shot. Most of the time I was training extras how to march!

BegintheBeguine

Nick Charles said:
I'm getting ready to watch these two movies

3522_8_AllTheKingsMen_W.jpg

All the King's Men
On August 15, 1915, while marching into battle against the Turks in Gallipoli, a British Army unit vanished into the fog. What became of this battalion led by Captain Frank Beck, a favorite agent of King George V? Wrap yourself in a compelling mystery and watch as powerhouse performances reveal the story of a haunting riddle shrouded for nearly a century.
As stated elsewhere in the Lounge, I loved this movie. I actually found it because I enjoyed David Jason's voice as Mister Toad's in The Wind in the Willows and wanted to see him in a movie, not knowing he is considered a figure of fun by some of the English people here. This is an unforgettable movie with great performances. You may need to keep your handkerchief at the ready. I'm intrigued by Gallipoli anyway and this movie did a marvelous job.

carebear

SPIKE,

You were in Rough Riders? Sweet.

Begin and Nick,

H. John Poole gives an excellent account of the particular tactics used by the Turks in their elimination of the Sandringham Company at Suvla Bay in his book "Tactics of the Crescent Moon".

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ALittleBitOfCompany