Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

British/Eurozone vintage suit identification

Well, chaps, this one's for the Brits & Eurozoneans, mainly. Others are welcomed to add their knowledge.

With this (cross fingers) being my last year in the USA, i realise that when i return to blighty i know next to nothing about identifying (era-wise) vintage European suits - other than obvious style and fabric information. This will make it rather difficult to keep on purchasing high quality garments to bulk out the old wardrobe.

Information is requested. What should i look for? I know about CC41 labels, but that's about the extent of my knowledge. What other stand out features should i look for? For example, when i see a skeleton lined jacket with seams finished with grossgrain ribbon in a thrift store in the USA, i begin drooling - this being a sure indicator of the period i'm interested in. Are there any such features that will direct me to a european suit? Will i be confined to fabric/style peculiarities?

Many thanks
bk

BellyTank

I'll Lock Up
Biltmore Bob said:
Now why would anyone in his right mind want to leave the good old USA.

He's maybe not as Right-minded as you Mr. Bob... hehe...he

Baron- you're probably right about dating the European and British gear, although some Tailors dated their work. Label styles can be a hint but a man of your oblivious talents should be able to get a handle on the cloth and style-
lapel size/style/notch height, cut, number and type of buttons, etc. and of course , as you rightly mentioned, the Pacman (men) label for Home Front wartime kit.

Here's a Burger>:hamburger

B
T

herringbonekid

I'll Lock Up
you pick up a suit in an English vintage store, look at the tag, it says "1940s suit ?Ǭ£150". the end.

Baron, if you're thinking of finding 40s suits in oxfam then dream on my friend, dream on.

I know. I can dream. It's pretty thin on the ground in thrifts over here, too.

I'm thinking i'll pick more up in Eurozone. Anyone been in Paris recently? I remember those street markets. My word! Those places were brimming with small 40s-50s stuff not 6 years ago.

Ah yes, that's a pretty addendum to the original thread title. I'm also interested in this: what are the best places in Euroland to find good cheap golden era vintage?

bk

BellyTank

I'll Lock Up
Baron- I think the taped seams/1/4 lining thing is purely an American standard- I've never seen it on a British job. Perhaps the belt/pleat back Eropean jackets have it though- for a functioning back- but they may have a better system...

Herringbone- it can be done... some of the London shops still have some good old clobber but you really have to look. Notting Hill, Chelsea and Knightsbride are good- I'll be checking them out in only a few days... hehe...he...

B
T

herringbonekid

I'll Lock Up
Belly T....it's hard enough to find men's vintage clothing in vintage shops never mind in charity shops. but if you've got time to kill why not ?

Baron, i've never been vintage shopping in paris. i wouldn't know where to start. i know one guy who's had success there. funny thing....french ebay has zero vintage.

i've never seen taped seams over here either. except on a linen summer jacket perhaps. i think that style came about due to warm weather, so you can see why it never caught on here. i'm sure you know what to look for...it's just like american but heavier. i only really know about London shops, not the whole of UK. i'll PM you a list if you like.

Saw a bunch of stuff on eBay Uk recently. 45 quid three peice pac man. I picked up a pac man Db for 20 quid. Can't be so rare as all that if it's only fetching these crappy prices. (though, saying that, i saw a pac man go for about 300 bucks on blighty bay about a month and ahalf ago. eBay is so random). I reckon out in the sticks there's some good stuff to be had. The US truly is the place to pick up cheap-ola excellent wintage, though.

I recall a store in Aberdeen that was inundated with 50s, and a smattering of 40s vintage. He couldn't give it away. But that was 9 years ago, almost ...

The european scene i think will prove quite fruitful. You're right, eBay fr is pretty bad for vintage (probably means there's quite a stock of stuff in the smaller stores). But it's really pretty bad for everything. eBay Italy and Spain are rather miserable too. eBay Germany ain't too shabby if you're after vintage leather. Other than that relatively useless ...

The Baroness mentioned a large vintage marketplace in Barcelona that i've never been to. Anyone have any info?

bk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner