Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Randall Renshaw Restorations

Mighty44

One Too Many
Fellow forum members: I find myself in the difficult position of having to make an unhappy announcement.

I have been forced to the conclusion that my fledgling hat business is not going to prove financially practical in the long run. I already have a post-retirement, work-from-home job, and the amount of time and energy that I have to put into working on any one hat, much less many, is detrimentally impacting that primary job. I am realizing that refurbishing and recreating hats is too time consuming to allow me any time to do anything else. It’s also proving costlier than I had originally estimated it would be. To compensate for the cost of materials, AND charge a reasonable rate for my labor, I would have to raise my rates to what I am certain would be unacceptable levels for any potential clients.

Additionally, I’m finding that working on hats full-time simply hasn’t proven to be very enjoyable. Working on a project now and again was fun, but doing it all the time has robbed me of any pleasure I was getting from the work. So, after I finish a couple of hats I have already contracted to do, I’m going to cease operation of Triple R Hattery , and go back to just being a collector.

This was not an easy decision to make, especially in light of all the wonderful feedback I have received from people here in the Lounge. To have had so many of you say such kind and complimentary things about my work, and then to be forced to pull the plug on that work, just adds to the sting.

For all of you who supported and encouraged me, thank you, from the bottom of my heart.

We live, learn, and move on.

Be well, all.
So sorry to hear this Randall but fully appreciate the decision—I’m sure it wasn’t an easy one. Best of luck to you!

Randall Renshaw

Call Me a Cab
Thanks, David!
I enjoyed the work and working with the clients, just wish I could’ve found a way to make it work out.
Especially FL clients. Some really honorable, gracious, helpful and fun people hang out here.
Adding what Brent, good friend, told me after I explained to him the financial and the few other hazards, he said something like: He would have a better appreciation for all hatters.
I have also talked this over, at length, with Mark @VoodooSan .
He helped me IMMENSELY in making my decision and in other helpful ways.
As I said, lots of really good folks here at The FL.

So sorry to hear this Randall but fully appreciate the decision—I’m sure it wasn’t an easy one. Best of luck to you!
I can readily attest being a hatter (custom and restorations) is a tough way to earn a buck. To build in efficiencies it requires multiple tens of thousands of dollars or surrender to the huge time involved. Randall, take the win on this as you at least got to scratch that itch and cross it off your list from a position of knowing....... not a theoretical position.

Randall Renshaw

Call Me a Cab
I can readily attest being a hatter (custom and restorations) is a tough way to earn a buck. To build in efficiencies it requires multiple tens of thousands of dollars or surrender to the huge time involved. Randall, take the win on this as you at least got to scratch that itch and cross it off your list from a position of knowing....... not a theoretical position.

Very well said, Robert. Thanks.
You’ve been very helpful, and I appreciate you a lot.

TimmyV

New in Town
I hate to see you get out of the hat business but I understand where you're coming from Randall. Was nice working with you on my old hat. Glad I was able to get in while the "getting was good !"
Thanks

Randall, it sounds like you have put much thought into your decision. I completely agree…. When the business aspect and grind takes the enjoyment out of something you love… it makes sense to take a step back and realign.

T Jones

I'll Lock Up
You could probably still do your hat business without giving it up entirely. You've been on the Lounge long enough to know the hat styles and block shapes that most here like, and you know the average sizes that most on the Lounge wear. Go back to enjoy hat making. When the urge hits do a couple of hats, your own creations, rather than rushing to finish up refurbs and rebuilds for others, and put those up for sale on the Lounge. That way you won't be overwhelmed with the rush to get things done. It was your creations that attracted people to your hats in the first place.

Randall Renshaw

Call Me a Cab
Randall, it sounds like you have put much thought into your decision. I completely agree…. When the business aspect and grind takes the enjoyment out of something you love… it makes sense to take a step back and realign.
Thanks, Joe.
Once Mark figured it up and told me how much I was making by the hour on hats, that really done me in. It was embarrassingly low.
I’d have to charge more and figure out how to speed up. Both seemed an impossibility to me.

Randall Renshaw

Call Me a Cab
You could probably still do your hat business without giving it up entirely. You've been on the Lounge long enough to know the hat styles and block shapes that most here like, and you know the average sizes that most on the Lounge wear. Go back to enjoy hat making. When the urge hits do a couple of hats, your own creations, rather than rushing to finish up refurbs and rebuilds for others, and put those up for sale on the Lounge. That way you won't be overwhelmed with the rush to get things done. It was your creations that attracted people to your hats in the first place.
Thanks, Terry.
Not giving it up completely. I’ll still be fixing up my flip hats and my own collector hats, and I might take on a job or two here and there in the distant future.
Selling spec hats here on the Lounge would be great if one could sell it for a worthy price.
Shortly, I will be forwarding a series of short vids of Robert’s wife doing that binding style with blind stitching we talked about.
Shout out to @belfastboy for avidly sharing skillz.

Fellow forum members: I find myself in the difficult position of having to make an unhappy announcement.

I have been forced to the conclusion that my fledgling hat business is not going to prove financially practical in the long run. I already have a post-retirement, work-from-home job, and the amount of time and energy that I have to put into working on any one hat, much less many, is detrimentally impacting that primary job. I am realizing that refurbishing and recreating hats is too time consuming to allow me any time to do anything else. It’s also proving costlier than I had originally estimated it would be. To compensate for the cost of materials, AND charge a reasonable rate for my labor, I would have to raise my rates to what I am certain would be unacceptable levels for any potential clients.

Additionally, I’m finding that working on hats full-time simply hasn’t proven to be very enjoyable. Working on a project now and again was fun, but doing it all the time has robbed me of any pleasure I was getting from the work. So, after I finish a couple of hats I have already contracted to do, I’m going to cease operation of Triple R Hattery , and go back to just being a collector.

This was not an easy decision to make, especially in light of all the wonderful feedback I have received from people here in the Lounge. To have had so many of you say such kind and complimentary things about my work, and then to be forced to pull the plug on that work, just adds to the sting.

For all of you who supported and encouraged me, thank you, from the bottom of my heart.

We live, learn, and move on.

Be well, all.

I really like nice hats, but nothing is worth your peace and your happiness. You have an incredible amount of skill your hats are right up there with the best. If folks knew what they were getting you would have all the business you could handle at twice your prices. I’m honored to have both custom and refurbished hats from you, and those hats will be treasured for years to come. Even more than the hats, your kindness and friendship will always be appreciated.

We all wish you every success in whatever you pursue…and I know I can expect some serous competition from you for vintage hats. :)

T Jones

I'll Lock Up
Thanks, Terry.
Not giving it up completely. I’ll still be fixing up my flip hats and my own collector hats, and I might take on a job or two here and there in the distant future.
Selling spec hats here on the Lounge would be great if one could sell it for a worthy price.
Shortly, I will be forwarding a series of short vids of Robert’s wife doing that binding style with blind stitching we talked about.
Sounds great buddy. Can't wait to see it. Good luck with everything. Hope you're enjoying retirement.

Thanks, Terry.
Let me know how it goes loading the video. If this site can accept them I could attempt to load the other longer ones that I could not email to you.

Randall Renshaw

Call Me a Cab
I really like nice hats, but nothing is worth your peace and your happiness. You have an incredible amount of skill your hats are right up there with the best. If folks knew what they were getting you would have all the business you could handle at twice your prices. I’m honored to have both custom and refurbished hats from you, and those hats will be treasured for years to come. Even more than the hats, your kindness and friendship will always be appreciated.

We all wish you every success in whatever you pursue…and I know I can expect some serous competition from you for vintage hats. :)
Wow, thanks for the great comments, Brent! With that you’re not helping me feel any better about my decision. :)

Shoot, I’m no competition to you, dude.
Most of my flips come from scanning eBay, practically 24/7.
I’m thinking you get most of yours in places that produce more and cheaper hats.
If wrong, let me think I’m right.
Helps me cope. Lol.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
apachepass