Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Randall Renshaw Restorations

Mighty44

One Too Many
It's about time @Randall Renshaw got his own thread here, now that he is starting to take on projects from other loungers. We've all admired the work he's posted of his own hats, but I'm telling you this guy is one of the greats and a fantastic resource for anyone that needs a hat restored.

I reached out to Randall last month because he'd posted a hat he had successfully sized up while keeping the original sweatband intact. I had just bought a beat-up Stetsonian on Ebay for cheap, the only problem was that it was a size too small for me.

I asked if he thought he'd be able to size it up and keep the original sweat and told him I wouldn't mind losing some width from the 2 3/4 brim as I'm much more comfortable with a 2 1/2". He said "not a problem," gave me a price and told me to send it south.

It was a process--it turned out both the ribbon and the binding needed to be replaced. Randall and I both thought the hat would look great with a dark purple ribbon--only trouble was he didn't have any ribbon that color. In the end, he mixed up purple and black fabric dye and experimented on strips of white ribbon until he achieved the perfect color.

He also had to go through an epic undertaking to source the binding ribbon--a long story probably not worth the blow by blow but suffice to say he did an incredible job on this thing, including the fancy extra rows of stitching. He says he is also now set up with a bunch of vintage binding ribbon for future projects.

He sized the hat up, put it back together, gave it some stiffener and a rough diamond crease and sent it back to me. It's like a brand new 1940s Stetson Stetsonian--absolutely beautiful.

I could not be happier with how this thing turned out and am just hugely impressed with how Randall pulled this thing off. Apparently he has big plans for the future restoring hats and even making "new" hats using vintage bodies he's stockpiled. I can't wait to see the results.

David

82487CB9-DD6F-46C0-9A8A-18C53794701A.jpeg
ee7cc1b4-4255-4e4d-a97f-f72112dbf8ba-jpeg.547241
6E0C66F1-5796-4A1E-949E-B9D7BBD05FA0.jpeg
1695152650138.jpeg
409A19F1-2EBD-4D6E-9DCE-380D758BD362.jpeg

Attachments

• EE7CC1B4-4255-4E4D-A97F-F72112DBF8BA.jpeg
    EE7CC1B4-4255-4E4D-A97F-F72112DBF8BA.jpeg
    575.7 KB · Views: 614

hambone71

Practically Family
It's about time @Randall Renshaw got his own thread here, now that he is starting to take on projects from other loungers. We've all admired the work he's posted of his own hats, but I'm telling you this guy is one of the greats and a fantastic resource for anyone that needs a hat restored.

I reached out to Randall last month because he'd posted a hat he had successfully sized up while keeping the original sweatband intact. I had just bought a beat-up Stetsonian on Ebay for cheap, the only problem was that it was a size too small for me.

I asked if he thought he'd be able to size it up and keep the original sweat and told him I wouldn't mind losing some width from the 2 3/4 brim as I'm much more comfortable with a 2 1/2". He said "not a problem," gave me a price and told me to send it south.

It was a process--it turned out both the ribbon and the binding needed to be replaced. Randall and I both thought the hat would look great with a dark purple ribbon--only trouble was he didn't have any ribbon that color. In the end, he mixed up purple and black fabric dye and experimented on strips of white ribbon until he achieved the perfect color.

He also had to go through an epic undertaking to source the binding ribbon--a long story probably not worth the blow by blow but suffice to say he did an incredible job on this thing, including the fancy extra rows of stitching. He says he is also now set up with a bunch of vintage binding ribbon for future projects.

He sized the hat up, put it back together, gave it some stiffener and a rough diamond crease and sent it back to me. It's like a brand new 1940s Stetson Stetsonian--absolutely beautiful.

I could not be happier with how this thing turned out and am just hugely impressed with how Randall pulled this thing off. Apparently he has big plans for the future restoring hats and even making "new" hats using vintage bodies he's stockpiled. I can't wait to see the results.

David

View attachment 547239
View attachment 547242 View attachment 547243 View attachment 547244
Man, that is an awesome job! That purple sets it off, too!

Randall Renshaw

Call Me a Cab
Thanks for all the kind words, David.
And the Stetsonian looks fantastic on you!
Professional looking photos.
It’s a great fedora and tried my best to keep it as it was when new. Took some serious searching to find the right color binding, but it paid off.
You was a pleasure to work for, even though there were time setbacks from the long hunt for the very elusive silver/gray binding ribbon and the purple hatband ribbon that, as you’ve stated, had to eventually be created from vintage white.
Another good thing that came from the arduous search was finding someone who had plenty of hard to find vintage colors and widths—that I was able to add to my stockpile.

David

View attachment 547239
View attachment 547242 View attachment 547243 View attachment 547244
That is one striking hat, David. Wonderful job Randall.

Mighty44

One Too Many
Designed and Drew up a logo that’ll be made into a sweatband stamp and liner tip silk screen.
Taking it to Staples tomorrow so they “digitize” it where they will clean up all my imperfections and straighten lines/letters.

Let me know what you guys think. View attachment 555172
Holy smokes that’s amazing Randall. Did you go to school for graphic design or illustration? Super impressive and perfect for a vintage hat business.

Randall Renshaw

Call Me a Cab
Thanks, David!
Naw, didn’t make it to art college, though I did try. Ended up doing seven years in the Air Force because my recruiter said, “Heck yeah the military pays for art school through the VEEP program. All you gotta do is raise your right and and take this oath!”
And the branches do pay for college, but not for art schools.
Oh well, I enjoyed my two terms experiencing The Force. :cool:

Mighty44

One Too Many
Thanks, David!
Naw, didn’t make it to art college, though I did try. Ended up doing seven years in the Air Force because my recruiter said, “Heck yeah the military pays for art school through the VEEP program. All you gotta do is raise your right and and take this oath!”
And the branches do pay for college, but not for art schools.
Oh well, I enjoyed my two terms experiencing The Force. :cool:
Well you are clearly just a talented dude! When you get to the recreations phase of your operation let me know if you have any gray 7 1/8 stock that needs a customer attached. ;)

Mighty44

One Too Many
Thanks, @RBH and @Mighty44 !
Made final changes this morning. You could see if you can note them.

I thank Randy @Rmccamey for guiding me toward the Art Deco motif.

I happen to have 4 hat bodies in 4 colors, David, and one is medium gray!
Walnut, black and brown are the others.
I’ll be buying a few in the color bone, soon. View attachment 555264
Whoops—sorry I meant a vintage body, more of a restoration than a recreation! ;)

Randall Renshaw

Call Me a Cab
Actually, “Re-creations” fall in with what we done on your Stetsonian. It was an upsized Stetsonian with a new ribbon and bow.
And just for clarification, a Restoration project is reusing all the original components, or at least using new stuff that is just like what was original.
I mistakenly assumed you were talking about a new custom. Which, doesn’t fall into any category in my slogan—unfortunately.
Would’ve liked to included that in my sub-title but thought it would make it too long. :)

As for a re-creation or restoration I’m ready for you anytime! :)

Mighty44

One Too Many
Haha—gotcha! I’ll email ya!
Actually, “Re-creations” fall in with what we done on your Stetsonian. It was an upsized Stetsonian with a new ribbon and bow.
And just for clarification, a Restoration project is reusing all the original components, or at least using new stuff that is just like what was original.
I mistakenly assumed you were talking about a new custom. Which, doesn’t fall into any category in my slogan—unfortunately.
Would’ve liked to included that in my sub-title but thought it would make it too long. :)

As for a re-creation or restoration I’m ready for you anytime!

hambone71

Practically Family
A fresh custom Champ done today.
Gray belly Civil war style slouch to be shipped to Minnesotaian.

Sewed on a ribbon and bow, sewed on a yellow cord that I lightly “antiqued”, hand made a sweat bow, sewed in an old sweatband and liner. You’ll notice I went ahead and sewed in my signature rows of stitching on the top of the sweat. View attachment 556961 View attachment 556960 View attachment 556957 View attachment 556956
Craftsmanship right there!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner