Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

King’s Umbrella Hat Company

hambone71

Practically Family
That is a darn good looking hat. You and Alan put that together brilliantly! Can’t wait to see it on your head brother.

The ribbon was a particular good choice in every regard - color, style and width all perfectly blend into the felt color, size and block. “Serpent” oooh! That’s good medicine in some cultures!
Another beauty!
Thank you, gentlemen! I should have it in hand and on head maybe this time next week.

Mighty44

One Too Many
Looks like I'm up now. This will ship Friday.

And for anyone interested:
Handmade Custom Fedora
Felt; Beaver blend in color "Hickory"
Size; 7-1/8 Custom
Crown; Full, 5.5" Open Height
Brim; 2-5/8" raw with a 501520 flange
Trim; 1-11/16" vintage grosgrain in color "Serpent" with frayed offset double bow and wind cord with vintage button
Liner; pure silk in color "Straw"
Sweatband; vegetable tanned goat skin with silk sweat guard and silk reeding in color "Chocolate", vintage style rayon lacing in color "Stark White" and matching hand tied bow

View attachment 592568 View attachment 592569 View attachment 592570
Beautiful!

The Lost Cowboy

One Too Many
Friends, it is here!! And what a hat!!!

There is a bunch of good to talk about, but also a few criticisms. Here's a photo of the specifics, a lovely little plaque like Brent and Randy both got plus a card with the hat specifics.

This is super nice and the box.... the box is unbelievable good quality. The smell fills my front room with woody scent.

The green around the box is velvet - the box is a piece of art in itself.

Please pardon the messy photos - I was in the middle of a wardrobe change when the hat arrived.
Plaque.JPG

IMG_0657.jpeg

Box top.JPG

Box 1.JPG

Box handle.JPG

Here is the hat in the sun open crown:
hat side in the sun.JPG

hat open crown on head 2.JPG

Last edited:

The Lost Cowboy

One Too Many
I like this hat so much I am almost tempted to leave it with only a center dent. I did add two little side dents and I'm still not sure if I will keep them.

This hat is VERY nice. I thought it would be a work hat but it is way too special for that. @hambone71 and I were chatting about how it's a hat to wear to the horse races, so I threw on an initial outfit with that in mind. First photos without the side dent and then a few with the side dents.

The ribbon is lighter than I anticipated and I don't know if a blue jacket is the right choice, but it's what I've got right now.

No side dent.JPG

No side dent 2.JPG

No side dent 3.JPG

And here with side dent:
Side dent sunnies 2.JPG

Side dent sunnies 1.JPG

Straight on side.JPG

portrait.jpg

The Lost Cowboy

One Too Many
The good: the felt is incredible, but since every felt that Alan has right now is different this won't matter much to anybody else. As @deadlyhandsome has already said, the sweatband is unbelievable soft. The inside is immaculate, in fact, and my only issue here is that Alan doesn't yet have a stamp for the inside.

The brim binding is fantastic - I know Alan worked particularly hard to get that right and it shows. But the bow work, unfortunately, is not as top notch. I actually saw in the photos that Alan sent me that the back bow looked slightly smaller than the front bow. I gave Alan the benefit of the doubt and accepted that it might be a trick of the photo. But I also accepted that I might have to live with it since I didn't say anything and okayed the hat.

Turns out, I should have said something, because not only is the back bow a little bit smaller but the front bow is misaligned with the ribbon. You can see the ribbon peaking out from the bottom of the front bow.

Bow one longer.JPG

Bow misalignment.JPG

These mistakes aren't going to make me send the hat back to Alan, but I include them here just as advice to go ahead and ask Alan if you have any doubts about the final photos before accepting the hat. If I had asked, Alan probably would've caught the misalignment.

This is only Alan's 6th or 7th hat and everything else about it is SO AMAZING that these little quirks in the ribbon work fade into the shadows for me.

Last edited:

The Lost Cowboy

One Too Many
Finally, the hat is heavy - it is noticeably heavier than my Akubra Campdraft with a campaign cord around it. The weight gives the hat even more substantial effect to me so I don't mind it; but if you don't want a heavy hat, then I recommend you discuss weight with Alan.

I have not manipulated this felt very much so I don't know how it will take to recreasing. It is very very soft felt but it won't hold a crease without steam.

Last critical point is the flange: I like a very sharp brim break and that's what I saw in the initial block photos, but I guess when it was flanged it came out with a slight slope (I call it a "duck bill" and I personally don't prefer it); so maybe make sure to talk with Alan about what you want for a brim break.

I could for sure say more but thanks for reading all this. This is one heck of a hat, I am exceedingly happy with it. It is a proper STEAL at $250.00.

IMG_0652.JPG

IMG_0653.JPG

Last edited:

Rmccamey

I'll Lock Up
Looks like a very special hat, Nathan. The color choice is pretty incredible, too! It took a few weeks with a few creases to get mine where I wanted it. Some of the old hat ads show similar side dents but with more depth. Something to think about anyway.

498212-ffa08232caf8b2aef867a2b202d00c11.jpg 498213-e3c87c7b9783097c99b77349fdcebd72.jpg
Friends, it is here!! And what a hat!!!

There is a bunch of good to talk about, but also a few criticisms. Here's a photo of the specifics, a lovely little plaque like Brent and Randy both got plus a card with the hat specifics.

This is super nice and the box.... the box is unbelievable good quality. The smell fills my front room with woody scent.

The green around the box is velvet - the box is a piece of art in itself.

Please pardon the messy photos - I was in the middle of a wardrobe change when the hat arrived.
View attachment 593562
View attachment 593566
View attachment 593563
View attachment 593564
View attachment 593565

Here is the hat in the sun open crown:
View attachment 593567
View attachment 593568

I like this hat so much I am almost tempted to leave it with only a center dent. I did add two little side dents and I'm still not sure if I will keep them.

This hat is VERY nice. I thought it would be a work hat but it is way too special for that. @hambone71 and I were chatting about how it's a hat to wear to the horse races, so I threw on an initial outfit with that in mind. First photos without the side dent and then a few with the side dents.

The ribbon is lighter than I anticipated and I don't know if a blue jacket is the right choice, but it's what I've got right now.

View attachment 593569
View attachment 593570
View attachment 593574

And here with side dent:
View attachment 593579

View attachment 593576
View attachment 593575
View attachment 593581

The Lost Cowboy

One Too Many
Looks like a very special hat, Nathan. The color choice is pretty incredible, too! It took a few weeks with a few creases to get mine where I wanted it. Some of the old hat ads show similar side dents but with more depth. Something to think about anyway.

View attachment 593618 View attachment 593607
Yes, thank you for the ads, Randy, they are useful indeed. This for sure wants to have a 1930s feel so I might try to deepen the side dents as you point out.

Yeah, the colors are special but also hard to find the right outfit. Dressing around the hat will be a fun adventure.

hambone71

Practically Family

View attachment 593569
View attachment 593570
View attachment 593574

And here with side dent:
View attachment 593579

View attachment 593576
View attachment 593575
View attachment 593581
I'm going to dub this one 'The High Roller'!
Beautiful hat! Great review!

TimmyV

New in Town
Just looking at all these wonderful hats gets me excited !! I got word from Alan yesterday that my hat is blocked. Time for decisions about brim binding, ribbon color and wind cord . This is the Mushroom Drab felt in a size 7 Regular Oval (in case y'all were wondering where that felt got off to.lol.)
Screenshot_20240303-073039_Etsy.jpg
Screenshot_20240303-073035_Etsy.jpg
Screenshot_20240303-073032_Etsy.jpg

Last edited:
They no longer show anything for sale on Etsy and there was a message that they are not accepting new orders as the catch up and decide on their way forward. I think one of their problems is the supply of felt. They told me after my last hat that they were out of felt large enough to make me more hats.
Yes, they could not accommodate my modest 7 3/8 head. At their current pricing, with the elaborate boxes, & postage buying felts in today's market they will barely break even,,,,at best. I am sorry I didn't get one as they were the best bargain in the hatting world.

Rmccamey

I'll Lock Up
I hope they resurface soon. As you well know, Robert, running a small business takes a lot of time and involves a lot of moving parts.

Yes, they could not accommodate my modest 7 3/8 head. At their current pricing, with the elaborate boxes, & postage buying felts in today's market they will barely break even,,,,at best. I am sorry I didn't get one as they were the best bargain in the hatting world.

I hope they resurface soon. As you well know, Robert, running a small business takes a lot of time and involves a lot of moving parts.
The capital outlay is a huge impediment. First three years I poured every cent of revenue into tools, equipment and stock. And I still have items to buy and that is without the purchase of any real machinery. It is a tough way to make a buck if you have a family to feed and rent to pay..

TimmyV

New in Town
I got word from Alan yesterday that it was time for final approval. I thought the wind cord was too bright so I had him change it to a tan cord. Hat should ship tomorrow and with any luck I should have it on my head by the weekend !
Screenshot_20240310-163303_Etsy.jpg
Screenshot_20240310-163327_Etsy.jpg
Screenshot_20240311-193935_Etsy.jpg
Screenshot_20240311-193938_Etsy.jpg

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner