Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Van Dyke Hatters

prober996

New in Town
Hi Folks, I recently found a Van Dyke Hatters hat while cleaning out my mother's house. It is in the original box and appears unworn. I have no idea who this hat was purchased for, but I assume that is was for my grandfather, who was born in 1898 and passed in 1984. I have many photos of him back in the day, wearing similar hats. I also assume that my mother, whom recently passed at age 92, had saved it as a reminder of her father. But I could be wrong about all of this, and unfortunately my mother was the last person who could tell the real story. I don't expect the hat to have any monetary value, but it has sentimental value to me.

Can anyone share knowledge about this hat or its maker? For instance, is this hat from the 1940s? 1950s? 1960s? 1970s? Is it made to be worn as it is, or would it normally be shaped? etc. I know nothing about hats and am hoping to learn about this interesting discovery!

Thanks in advance.

IMG_7333.JPEG IMG_7334.JPEG IMG_7335.JPEG IMG_7328.JPEG IMG_7325.JPEG IMG_7324.JPEG IMG_7329.JPEG IMG_7323.JPEG IMG_7322.JPEG

Attachments

• IMG_7327.JPEG
    IMG_7327.JPEG
    91.3 KB · Views: 24

prober996

New in Town
I just noticed that the phone number on the box doesn't have an area code, so I believe that that dates this hat to the 1950s.

Rmccamey

I'll Lock Up
A very nice hat. The size tag suggests it is a Langenberg/Beaver Brand hat. It appears to be a Lord's hat (or Homburg variation), based on the styling and model name, although Lord's hats typically don't have a bound brim edge. With the black sweatband, I might say 1960s. The laced sweat, wind trolley and being a "Twenty Five" also suggest this is a fairly high end hat. It looks to be in perfect shape. I hope you enjoy your legacy hat.

Hi Folks, I recently found a Van Dyke Hatters hat while cleaning out my mother's house. It is in the original box and appears unworn. I have no idea who this hat was purchased for, but I assume that is was for my grandfather, who was born in 1898 and passed in 1984. I have many photos of him back in the day, wearing similar hats. I also assume that my mother, whom recently passed at age 92, had saved it as a reminder of her father. But I could be wrong about all of this, and unfortunately my mother was the last person who could tell the real story. I don't expect the hat to have any monetary value, but it has sentimental value to me.

Can anyone share knowledge about this hat or its maker? For instance, is this hat from the 1940s? 1950s? 1960s? 1970s? Is it made to be worn as it is, or would it normally be shaped? etc. I know nothing about hats and am hoping to learn about this interesting discovery!

Thanks in advance.

View attachment 603649 View attachment 603650 View attachment 603651 View attachment 603647 View attachment 603645 View attachment 603644 View attachment 603648 View attachment 603643 View attachment 603642

prober996

New in Town
Randy, thanks so much for the insight and knowledge. I will look under the sweatband tonight when I get home from the office and post a pic of what I find.

Rmccamey

I'll Lock Up
Sometimes it is the size, shape and colors of the inner tag that give clues as to age. I still think this is a Langenberg hat. Perhaps Brent @deadlyhandsome can give his thoughts. He has seen several Langenberg hats in recent years.

I encourage you to get out and wear your hat. It certainly deserves some head time!

I found one label under the sweatband, but it doesn't convey a lot of info.

View attachment 604780

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner