Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

British Royal Navy Tin Helmet

paul007

New in Town
Hi everyone,

I'm new to the Lounge so just to say firstly 'Hi to you all'

Can anyone help please?

What's the colour name of the Blueish Paint used on British Royal Navy Tin Helmets used during WW2 please.
Do you know where i might get some please?

Bye for now,
Paul

Cobden

Practically Family
The Royal Navy ones were usually a battleship grey. Rover tempest Grey undercoat is a pretty good colour

paul007

New in Town
Hi Steve,

Thank you for your reply.

I saw one on Fox Commando site a guy had one on, so i thought it was a blue colour colour.

I had hoped you would reply as you would certainly know! Thank you.

British Rover grey undercoat i assume? will this need sealing or paint as it is?

Regards,
Paul

Cobden

Practically Family
Yes, it's an undercoat. My helmet in the colour hasn't needed sealing - though I freely admit I haven't worn it in particularly adverse conditions!

paul007

New in Town
Hi Steve,

Did you spray or hand paint please?

I take it that you've not worn it in the Ferocious North Atlanic Seas then, ha ha!

Regards,
Paul

DNO

One Too Many
Don't know if this will help, but:

I'm sure that blue or grey helmets were used in naval service but army green was as well. The RCN centennial site at the Canadian War Museum (http://www.warmuseum.ca/cwm/exhibitions/navy/objects_photos_search-e.aspx?section=4-C&id=30&page=1) has photos of two helmets, one RCN and one RN. Both are standard army colour.

Here's a couple of screen grabs...the site has more info.

naval1.png

naval2.png

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shiny hats