Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Bronson N-1 Deck Jacket sheds tons of fibres from pile liner!

CatsCan

Practically Family
The force will break fine threads. The friction caused by the spin is not without harm to coarse material like wool too.
I can pull single strands out of the matrix, as if they are not longer fixed. As I understand it, the wool is fixed to a matrix made of something else, most likely polyester. I imagine that in better quality liners the knit or weave is such, that there is a locking loop that physically locks the threads in place. But here it seems that in the production process some kind of adhesive was used, maybe a spray-on adhesive to the back of the matrix, to hold the threads in place. This is at least my theory now.

CatsCan

Practically Family
I have a reply from my original seller. He is very engaged and passed on my pictures to Bronson, not sure, if they take the time to inspect the issue. Key takeaway for us here may be: Be extra careful when you wash your Bronson N-1 of the second highest price category (80% wool liner). Either the spinning or some kinds of detergents can obviously affect the integrity of the liner. So far it seems that I am the first and only case at the moment to have made or reported this experience while others have sucessfully washed their Jackets without any problems.

CatsCan

Practically Family
Of course, Dry Clean Only makes it clear that any experiment in washing is at your own risk. Nevertheless did I wash sucessfully all of my Deck Jackets as did others. And others have done exactly the same with their Bronson Deck Jackets as I did with mine. Never had any problems. And the seller agrees with me, this jacket must not fall apart just by washing it.
I bet it is some kind of glue involved that is dissolved by certain detergents. If a jacket this price tag should be made with a liner of this kind of fragile (i.e. cheaper) quality, where the "fur" is fixated with glue (if this is the case here), is another question. I know for Pike Brothers, that the weave (it is more a kind of knit) is solid without any glue. It is just a different way to produce "teddy", "Plush" or whatever you call them, liners. Should I decide to remove the liner altogether, I will take the oportunity to inspect the rear of the liner to find out. Maybe sew another better liner in. I can't sell it as it is neither can I wear it, so this is maybe the route from where I am now. Responsibility? Perhaps I am responsible, since I washed it.

CatsCan

Practically Family
By the way: I also have a cheapish N-1 (like 90,- Euro) which label says "wash at 30°". It is not too bad looking and warm enough for our typical winters. It is my go to jacket at the moment. Never washed it, though LOL.

Harris HTM

One Too Many
so this is maybe the route from where I am now
Yeah, since it is not wearable maybe this is an option. Have you checked how much it will cost? It really sucks what happened.
By the way I checked my b10 that I washed last week, obviously I can wash it up to 40degrees according to the tab, probably that’s why it worked for me.
AD06B630-6A5A-4330-9101-C3C68C7718F5.jpeg
C39C38FA-2EC2-4857-AEF9-2A39E01E77D8.jpeg

CatsCan

Practically Family
Now you got me! Crazy, it should be the same liner material according to the % given...
Miracously there is no tab on my Bronson Deck Jacket, and now I really wonder where I have the Dry Clean only info from.

Is there anyone with a Bronson N-1 with 80% wool liner where the tab is still existing? It is starting to get interesting!

Edit: The info "Dry Clean Only" is on their website...
Edit 2: For their B-10 they say 75% wool 25% Polyester and Machine Wash Cold.... They seem to change things from time to time.

Last edited:

CatsCan

Practically Family
Have you checked how much it will cost?
My seemstress (actually a man, who sews all the uniforms for our local shooting assosiation) says, it depends on the cost for the fabric. Common quality wool sherpa like liner fabrics can go up to 75 Euro per meter, best qualities even up to 150. The sewing itself is cheap, ca. 25 - 30 Euro if I remove the old liner myself. But in total too expensive, unfortunately. I can wait until I find a coat with an appropriate liner in our local second hand store and ripp it out. Or I turn this jacket into a summer version, this might be another interesting option. Who knows what it was good for in the end :)

Worf

I'll Lock Up
Wow... What a saga!. Has me looking at my Pike Bros. B-10 a little cross-eyed now. I always thought that the pile in that jacket was too thick. Thought about shaving it down with an electric razor... After reading this.. perhaps just a wash would do. Back to the OP, no, that's NOT normal. Don't know if you'll hear back from the company but if you do get an "official" answer... please let us know.

Worf

58panheadfan

One Too Many
OK, said I. Dry Clean Only. But if THIS is the reason for them to state Dry Clean Only, then they must have done something very wrong.
This is the Bronson N-1 Deck Jacket in their blue version with 80% wool 20% Acryl liner.
I washed it for the first time after three years. Note, that I wash ALL my clothes sooner or later. Note also, that I am NO NOVICE when it comes to fabrics, care, laundry.... I would claim that I am experienced.

Setting: hand wash, cold, low speed spin. Liquid wool soap.

Outcome: Jacket did not shrink much, I could pull it to old form and size without effort.
BUT: All was full of fibres shed from the pile liner.
How much the pile liner is shedding? ALOT! First I tried my vacuum cleaner. Then I turned to combing. Did it stop at one point? No. As long as you comb, there are fibres coming off. Until all liner is gone. I already have enough material combed off that I could knit socks from.

The following fotos hopefully show what I am talkting about.

View attachment 477848 View attachment 477849 View attachment 477850 View attachment 477851 View attachment 477852 View attachment 477853 View attachment 477854 View attachment 477855 View attachment 477856

I mean.... this is NOT normal! Not only will I ruin everything I would wear underneath, I spoil my car's seats, my furnitures, worst of all: my lungs! I really don't want the smaller of the fibres entering my lungs.

Can this be the reason for Bronson to say: Dry Clean Only? If so, then they must have done something deliberately wrong, knowing about the issue. But I doubt that. Even the cheap Jacket of my daughter with a real thick teddy pile liner of a wool/acryl mix is getting washed regularely and has no problems after years of usage. And when I think how often I washed my good old German Bundeswehr Parka with it's acrylic pile liner, even at 60°C sometimes... no issues.

So my conclusion is not "don't ever wash a Bronson Deck Jacket". I'd rather say: Don't buy it in the first place. Of course I can have received a dud. Will ask the seller, what he says. I will give them a chance. But for 180,- Euro (most recent price) paid directly to China I can expect a better quality. I should add, that I have washed my Pike Brothers Deck Jacket several times. No issue.

Angry.

Cats

Update: Asked the seller, currently waiting for his answer.
Perhaps the Chinese processed a panda bear fur when changing their coat in spring... :)

TooManyHatsOnlyOneHead

Call Me a Cab
I just double checked. I have the Khaki one I think, and it has machine wash cold label. Was purchased about a year ago. They either changed the construction and you have an older model or there's something in particular about the blue one that has different construction.

CatsCan

Practically Family
Thank you! It helps to know what the washing instructions on similar Bronson N-1s are like. They don't seem to be very consistent in their use of materials. Have not heard something from the company yet. Maybe I will write them directly even if my seller said he had passed my message on to them.

mihai

A-List Customer
I wouldn't bother with the knock-offs from Chinese and other country likes. I bet there is no precise traceability of fabric batches, suppliers standards and such. It's whoever can quickly and cheaply produce something resembling to what they need.
I've come across their listings on ebay. Things looked nice but never pulled the trigger. Yes the prices look nice but there are too many buts and ifs.
I simply prefer to save up and get a higher quality thing.
Not to mention it can be a health hazard through the chemicals and materials used. For example if the lint gets into the lungs (especially synthetic fibers).

PS: in the end you realize that you accumulated a lot of cheaply meh... clothes that you seldom wear, have a hard time selling and for which you spent on a considerable amount.

Last edited:

CatsCan

Practically Family
Not to mention it can be a health hazard through the chemicals and materials used. For example if the lint gets into the lungs (especially synthetic fibers).
...this is my concern as well! I am contemplating about getting rid of the liner altogether and leave the jacket unlined to be worn over a sweater on warmer days. I have another N-1 Deck jacket which is good for every day use in the colder months, so this might be the best option.

CatsCan

Practically Family
PS: in the end you realize that you accumulated a lot of cheaply meh... clothes that you seldom wear, have a hard time selling and for which you spent on a considerable amount.
Bronson is not regarded as cheaply made hovever. Their quality use(d) to be reasonable. I still believe I have a dud. Not heard from the Company yet, though.

Bushman

I'll Lock Up
Might be a fluke. I just got my A-2 deck jacket in this week, and have yet to encounter any shedding from the lining.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy