Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Brylcreem

avedwards

Call Me a Cab
I'm just curious, with this gel, is it comfortable enough to wear a hat with? A part of the reason I switched from L.A. Looks gel to Brylcreem was for better comfort, as I did not want my hair to be hard feeling. Does this cause that effect, or is it actually rather soft? Thank you.
Once it dries it's stiff, but it just needs combing through once and it becomes soft whilst maintaining its style. It is definitely comfortable enough to wear with a hat. It's also completely odourless once dry, so it lacks the nostalgia of regular Brylcream but is completely unoffensive.

It comes in 150ml containers (similar to tooth paste tubes) and one lasts me about a week and a half.

Dapper Dave

Familiar Face
I remember Dax when I was in High School. I liked it a lot, its just hard to washout. It stays on your pillows at night. In my rockabilly days thats all I used in my hair. I did not like the way Murrys pomade sat in my hair, and if you leave it in long enough during the summer it will melt in your hair.

What do you guys think aobut DAX Short and Neat? I personally love it, though many people seem to hate it. It keeps my hair in place nicely, but I wouldn't use it when I do a pompadour or something like that. It also has a nice shine and the can lasts pretty long as you don't need so much of it. Also washes out pretty nicely, though everyone says that they needed to wash their hair like 6 times and there was still some left. I can wash my hair once with shampoo and it's all out...
Is it something about my hair that makes it wash out so easily?

TrenchGuy

One of the Regulars
Does anyone else have the same problem with people's opinions on pomade? People usually tell me my hair looks disgusting and really greasy. Some people even think I really haven't washed my hair in 2 weeks. Some people ask what product I use on my hair and I answer "hair grease"(because I live in Finland, where pomade is called hiusrasva which translates to "hair grease") and their reactions are like "What? I wash my hair 2 times a day so it wouldn't get greasy and you just want more grease?"

It's not like I would use it alot at once. Only like a dime size, it's not much. I think the problem is that people these days aren't used to hair that is really shiny and has a wet look. I've only heard a couple positive comments.

Last edited:

filfoster

One Too Many
Before I got my present flat top, I used Score because it seemed less 'greasy' than Brylcream, which I last used when my Score ran out. I am interested to see that Brilliantine is evidently still around, although it seems to have become a 'generic' term. The ubiquitous Wikipedia credits Pinaud as inventor of this goop.

Last edited:

floatinjoe

Familiar Face
Just found this thread. I've been using Brylcreem on and off for years. The funny part is, I think I may be using the same tube. I have found that the trick for me is to follow these steps:

1. Wash hair
  2. Do NOT dry hair
  3. Squeeze tube while sliding comb over tube top (one pass). This creates an even amount on the teeth of the comb (really not that much).
  4. Comb wet hair.

Using this method, I find that my hair stays managable all day long. I can recomb as necessary. It doesn't stay stiff, but it does restore all of the natural oils that the shampoo washed out. It does keep my hair shining all day too. Also, it doesn't feel greesy.

I had tried other products (my barber even had me try Clubman), but I didn't like how my hair got hard.

Hope this might help some folks.

Mike

I put a dab in my hands, work it into my scalp and do the comb work. Seems to do the trick for me. Been using it for years, but have been through more tubes than Carter's got Liver Pills. Pomps take a lot of the stuff.

brylcreem boy

One of the Regulars
Does anyone else have the same problem with people's opinions on pomade? People usually tell me my hair looks disgusting and really greasy. Some people even think I really haven't washed my hair in 2 weeks. Some people ask what product I use on my hair and I answer "hair grease"(because I live in Finland, where pomade is called hiusrasva which translates to "hair grease") and their reactions are like "What? I wash my hair 2 times a day so it wouldn't get greasy and you just want more grease?"

It's not like I would use it alot at once. Only like a dime size, it's not much. I think the problem is that people these days aren't used to hair that is really shiny and has a wet look. I've only heard a couple positive comments.

TrenchGuy it took my friends and family quite awhile to getting used to seeing me with slicked/down, slicked back hair but in time they became accustomed to it being my style. I still catch strangers occasionally staring at me and the occasional greaser comment. But I love my 50's style side part- its clean and classic. When i do occasionally not put anything in it my hair just looks dull to me. I figure I'm just comfortable with it

brylcreem boy

One of the Regulars
I've been using Royal Crown for about 15 years. Don't know what I'd do without it.

Did it take you awhile to get used to the smell? I'm assuming your talking about the Royal Crown hairdressing right? I have tried the Royal Crown pomade too, to me it smells better

brylcreem boy

One of the Regulars
Who is the person in your avatar? When you say quiff, did you mean you were trying to go for a front "wave" like he has? That's actually a look I tend to do myself quite frequently.

Don't know the name of the guy in my avatar... he modeled for some pictures in a barbershop I used to go to. I just liked the pic and the trench coat and of course the hair cut, yes when I say quiff I mean the wave just like that. My hair does that very well, especially when you put pomade or any kind of product in it. My hair is very straight, but if flips back nicely as long as I have product in it. My cut is almost exactly like that, only mine flips up a bit higher in front and I keep mine tapered tighter down low.

Alex

Practically Family
TrenchGuy it took my friends and family quite awhile to getting used to seeing me with slicked/down, slicked back hair but in time they became accustomed to it being my style. I still catch strangers occasionally staring at me and the occasional greaser comment. But I love my 50's style side part- its clean and classic. When i do occasionally not put anything in it my hair just looks dull to me. I figure I'm just comfortable with it

That's exactly how it is for me. It gets kind of annoying though people always have some comment on it. It's such a rare thing to do anymore so it stands out. Especially if I use RC Hair Dressing.. that is the shiniest I've found.

The Good

Call Me a Cab
I don't really get comments on my hair, although I do remember getting the greaser comment at my campus a couple of times. I was also wearing my leather jacket and jeans at the time too. If being a greaser actually means liking 1950s rock and roll, wearing leather often (and jeans), and styling one's hair with pomade or Brylcreem, then maybe I am? I'm not really a rebellious person though, I'm very straight-laced compared to '50s greasers... I do remember it took my dad a little getting used to of my "wet looking" hair (he suggested I go for a dryer look or something), although the Brylcreem does dry a bit in appearance as the day goes on, at least for me. I tend to only use "a little dab," although I know that's not enough for really slick hair, as I do on occasion.

Last edited:

Alex

Practically Family
Also, people always ask me what I use. They're like "Let me touch your hair". And then they're surprised it isn't hard like gel would be. I just tell them I use pomade, and they don't even know what that is. (These people are usually acquaintances from school or work.) If they do know, they say, "Do you use Dapper Dan?" From the movie O'brother, Where Art Thou? of which I was never the biggest fan. I tell them that brand isn't real, because it isn't haha.
People, my age especially, are not familiar at all with classic mens hairstyles or products.

I used to have that in Middle and High school as well. I think 2 people my age in all the years I've been using Pomade, Brylcreem, or Hair Tonic in my hair have known what the heck it was.

Also, people always ask me what I use. They're like "Let me touch your hair". And then they're surprised it isn't hard like gel would be. I just tell them I use pomade, and they don't even know what that is. (These people are usually acquaintance at school or work.) If they do know, they say, "Do you use Dapper Dan?" From the movie O'brother, Where Art Thou? of which I was never the biggest fan. I tell them that brand isn't real, because it isn't haha.
People, my age especially, are not familiar at all with classic mens hairstyles or products.

Alex

Practically Family
I used to have that in Middle and High school as well. I think 2 people my age in all the years I've been using Pomade, Brylcreem, or Hair Tonic in my hair have known what the heck it was.

Well, what can ya expect from people who weren't born in the wrong generation like we were?:p

Haha, you ain't just whistlin' Dixie. I actually had a co-worker who's a year older than me refer to that age group as 'our generation' as though I'm not part of it. I told him, don't forget I'm about your age to which he replied "Yeah, but not really."

Well, what can ya expect from people who weren't born in the wrong generation like we were?:p

Alex

Practically Family
Haha, you ain't just whistlin' Dixie. I actually had a co-worker who's a year older than me refer to that age group as 'our generation' as though I'm not part of it. I told him, don't forget I'm about your age to which he replied "Yeah, but not really."

I'd take that as a compliment haha.

Machine Ager

Familiar Face
Anyone Tried Murray's Super Light?

Of all the pomades I've tried as well as Brylcreem.... I like it best as it has control, shine, and washes out easily.

Depending on how much you use.. it does not need look greasy.

Groom and Clean is a close 2nd to me and is easier on my Fedora sweatbands... than Pomade.

MA

Solid Citizen

Practically Family
Ahh G & C

For me Groom & Clean is the best, inexpensive, easy to find & holds for me. Tried Brylcreem seemed like you had to use a lot to get strong hold. Solid Citizen :cool:

Where did you find the Super Light? Was it locally or online?
I find Brylcreem works best under a hat, when you have to comb your hair back into place after taking it off.

Anyone Tried Murray's Super Light?

Of all the pomades I've tried as well as Brylcreem.... I like it best as it has control, shine, and washes out easily.

Depending on how much you use.. it does not need look greasy.

Groom and Clean is a close 2nd to me and is easier on my Fedora sweatbands... than Pomade.

MA

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner