Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Building a 1950's Wardrobe: The Basics FOR MEN?

David Conwill

Call Me a Cab
I've been following with great interest the thread in the Powder Room. Anyone care to elaborate on what Mr. Middle Class was wearing in the '46 to '54 period for my edification?

-Dave

resortes805

Call Me a Cab
Well, I usually stick to a working class aesthetic but here's what I would consider staples for the post war look.

Start with some nice drapey gabardine shirts in a variety of colors. Most have two flap pockets and a tab closure at the neck. The shape and length of the collar will dictate what end of the '45-'55 spectrum your look will achieve.

Pick up some nice high waisted slacks with a full cut, pleats and nice wide cuffs. Once again, gabardine is a preferred fabric.

Grab a nice sport coat or leisure jacket with broad shoulders and patch pockets, throw on some white bucks and then mix accordingly!

David Conwill

Call Me a Cab
resortes805 said:
Well, I usually stick to a working class aesthetic but here's what I would consider staples for the post war look.

Start with some nice drapey gabardine shirts in a variety of colors. Most have two flap pockets and a tab closure at the neck. The shape and length of the collar will dictate what end of the '45-'55 spectrum your look will achieve.

Pick up some nice high waisted slacks with a full cut, pleats and nice wide cuffs. Once again, gabardine is a preferred fabric.

Grab a nice sport coat or leisure jacket with broad shoulders and patch pockets, throw on some white bucks and then mix accordingly!

Sounds comfy and stylish. My local Pennys has some pretty nice Gab trousers at the moment, but any tips as to where to pick up Gab shirts? I love the feel of that stuff.

-Dave

Marzipan

One of the Regulars
My husband is the decidedly modern half of our mixed-marriage (ha, ha), but I would love to point him to this thread!

marineabilly

A-List Customer
I agree with resortes805.

I say:

• Gabardine Flap pocket Ricky Jacket (fleck printed, slash printed, atomic printed, solid or two tone)
  • Drapey Gab Sport coat with patch pocket (non-vented back for that streamlined look)
  • High waisted Hollywood slacks (seamless waist, small drop belt loops, v-notched back - saddle stitching along sides)
  • Printed/Argyle socks
  • Solid colored vintage shoes with wide, white-stitched welt
  • Thin leather belt (1")
  • Flap pocket drapey gabardine shirt button loop collar and saddle-stitched collar and flap pockets
mjt133.jpg

OldSoul

Familiar Face
I will keep an eye on this thread, I think the early 50's had some awesome styles.

I really like this jacket, is there a specific name for this style? Kind of like a mechanics jacket but with chest pockets, cool.

marineabilly said:

Flitcraft

One Too Many
You need to watch L.A. Confidential and Roman Holiday...
you can pick up a ton of visuals just from those 2 films...

YETI

A-List Customer
OldSoul said:
I will keep an eye on this thread, I think the early 50's had some awesome styles.

I really like this jacket, is there a specific name for this style? Kind of like a mechanics jacket but with chest pockets, cool.
It's called an "Ike" jacket after Gen. Eisenhower.

Lance Uppercut

Familiar Face
You can go this 1950's route pretty easily but the real hazard is coming off too "costumey". Those Rickey jackets cross that line IMO and really only work when you're at a club or some type of genre-themed gathering.

Guttersnipe

One Too Many
Lance Uppercut said:
You can go this 1950's route pretty easily but the real hazard is coming off too "costumey". Those Rickey jackets cross that line IMO and really only work when you're at a club or some type of genre-themed gathering.

I totally disagree. Jeans and a t-shirt matched with a cool ricky jacket is a timeless combo for casual. yet snappy. wear.

case in point:
HSBday2.jpg

marineabilly

A-List Customer
Lance Uppercut said:

Huh? I whole-heartedly disagree. Ricky's are so versitile - jeans, slacks, etc. Visit any department store and you'll find a variety of "Ricky" jacket style look-a-likes. "Costumey?" Wow - that's a first. $800 dollars for a "costumey" vintage two-tone atomic print Eton Hall gabardine jacket? Hardley a costume.

Lance Uppercut

Familiar Face
Well, "costumey" is a relative term for sure. To each his own.

I have no idea where the issue of the price/value of a garment enters into it. Contemporary runway couture is quite expensive but looks laughable when seen on the street.

Guttersnipe

One Too Many
Hold on a second and consider this...

Lance Uppercut said:
Well, "costumey" is a relative term for sure. To each his own.

I don't think "costumey" is a relative term really, it comes of as slightly condescending.

The bottom line is, this is a thread about 50's mens wear, and the ricky jacket is quintessential 50's wear.

Would you go into a thread about Adventurebilt Hats on the "hats" forum and declare "You guys are silly for paying so much money to dress up like Indiana Jones, other then a movie fan convention, those hats look out of place?" I know I never would - even though I might think it.

OldSoul

Familiar Face
Everyone is entitled to their oppinion, I don't think he ment to be condescending?

I like those jackets a lot...I think I'll start looking for one that will fit me. I'm a big guy (6'4" 240lbs) so finding clothes to fit can be a challenge, I think my best bet is getting one off of a site like My Baby Jo so I have the best chance of getting something that fits.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy