Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Burgandy Brogues

The Shooman

Practically Family
When people see that tinge of red down there, they are going to want to check out what it is. lf they see nice unusual redish coloured shoos they may get distracted from the important business at hand i.e, they may not listen to you properly because they are still thinking of the burgundy shoos on your feet. lol

That being said, l still do like burgundy shoos, they look nice, but l prefer to wear other colours.

davestlouis

Practically Family
I tend to polish mine with black polish to darken the finish and give it some patina, instead of a solid maroon color. I just got a pair of British Walkers gunboats in a nice burgundy color, and they'll look great with a charcoal gray suit, as long as my boss doesn't see me wearing something other than black shoes.

French

Familiar Face
I agree with Edward's thoughts

I think Edward hit the nail on the head, we live in a time where very few men are dressing in business formal for work, and even fewer men understand the difference between business casual and casual. I'm a customer facing employee of a biotech company, and I am amazed by the difference in reception I recieve when I dress business casual as compared to a couple of years ago when my business casual was more casual than business.

If I hadn't lived this myself, I never would have thought that wearing proper trousers, pants and shoes would give the customer a greater sense of trust and comfort in my ability to either train them on their application or to solve their application problem they haven't been able to solve on their own.

All of that being said, it seems that since most men now own one "funeral/wedding" suit, they only have the need for shoes that match, and black, as many have already stated, is a safer choice. I imagine, but have no proof that in the Golden Age, a man would purchase a couple of pair of dress shoes that would last him the better part of his career (with proper maintenance/resoling etc). Today, most people may not look at the true cost of ownership for purchasing the disposable item that will need to be replaced every 2-3 years.

Hopefully this made some sense.

French

davestlouis

Practically Family
French, now that I've invested $8.99 in these brogues, they had better last a lifetime!

My grandfather was born in 1900, and didn't even own a suit when I was a kid...he would wear an ironed white short sleeve shirt and dark colored trousers, with black lace-up shoes if he had to dress-up. My point is, not everyone had a white collar job years ago, and not everybody felt the need to wear a suit. He finally bought a suit for his 80th birthday because he had several fancy parties to attend. He also never wore anything but black shoes, as far as I recall.

I got several compliments on the burgundy colored shoes today, even from coworkers. I did spend a long time giving hem a good shine last night, and that was what several comments hinged on...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy