Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Burgundy wingtips?

TheBronze

New in Town
I'm a police officer and have been working in uniform for 22 years. I will be transferring to detectives in July and have started putting together my suits and shoes. I've never had a job wear I have needed to dress in business attire before so this is all very new to me. I'm wondering if burgundy wingtips are still in style and if it would be alright to wear them with a gray pinstripe suit? I already have a pair of Bostonian wingtips in black and I really like the classic styling. What brands should I be looking at?

Thanks in advance for any ideas, suggestions or tips!

Brian
Montebello CA

Undertow

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Cordovan wingtips are a timeless classic. They look good with grays, blues, browns, greens and pretty much anything other than black.

Bostonians are a fair brand on par with Johnston&Murphy. Just below those is Cole Haan, then Florsheim. This is all assuming we're talking the $150-180 price range.

You will find this thread helpful:
Wing tip shoes

If you're planning on wearing these every other day, or at least fairly often, you might consider springing for a pair of either Alden or Allen Edmonds. They price around $400 for Alden and $300 for AE. They are superior to the other brands and easily found at fine clothing stores. Whereas you may pay $250 for a pair of J&M's that can be refurbished, you'll pay $300 for AE's that can also be refurbished and will still be better quality.

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
Is it the Atlanta PD where when they make detective they all start wearing fedoras? Someone has posted here with images.
Anyhow, congrats on the promotion, and if people start calling you Joe Friday, I hope you take it as a compliment.

Whislerm

New in Town
If you're really looking for shoes that will last, go with Alden or Allen Edmonds and then go with Shell Cordovan Color 8 which is a burgundy. They are up around $600 compared to calf-skin. I bought one pair of them and have since bought 3 more and simply sold all my other calf-skin and different colored shoes. They go great with everything and the Shell Cordovan is so easy to maintain, mostly brushing, and a little cream every few months.

So that's another option for you...

TheBronze

New in Town
Wow! Those Alden's look amazing! That's what I had in my mind when I thought of burgundy colored wingtips. Maybe after I sell one of the kids....

Chaps

One of the Regulars
Congrats on your new position and thank you for your service. My Dad was Air Police in the Air Force, my brother is a Detective here and I served as a Police Chaplain a few years back. Law Enforcement is very important in our family. I second the suggestion regarding Cole Haan. I have several pairs and they are a good shoe at an affordable price. Being in Atlanta, you may want to check out Sid Mashburn or even Macy's.

1911 Man

A-List Customer
Although I own wingtip shoes, and will always own and wear wingtip shoes, I would humbly suggest a good pair of cap toe shoes. I think they are just as dressy, but can also be worn with more casual (Dockers style) cotton trousers a little easier than wingtips. I also suggest the Allen Edmonds or Aldens, if feasable. I'm also in Law Enforcement, and I know a cop's salary sometimes limits choices.

I like AE's Park Avenue, 5th Avenue, and Strand models. My favorite is the Alden Medallion cap toe model 911 (tan).

But if those aren't your cup of tea, wingtips are great, timeless classics, and burgundy is a great color.

Pappyb23

New in Town
I wore wingtips when I was assigned to dicks, as 1911 said they are timeless classics. I always went the extra mile when dressing for work especially since a lot of guys did the dress pants and black gym shoes look in investigations, looked awful.

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
The irony, of course, is that wing tips have assumed a status of being more dressy here in the US, but they originated as outdoors shoes. The purpose of the broguing, or the little holes punched in the toes, was to let water escape after the wearer had been stomping through the swamps and bogs of the British boondocks.

Edward

Bartender
The irony, of course, is that wing tips have assumed a status of being more dressy here in the US, but they originated as outdoors shoes. The purpose of the broguing, or the little holes punched in the toes, was to let water escape after the wearer had been stomping through the swamps and bogs of the British boondocks.

Interesting - for the few of us that care, over here they're still considered to be the more casual option as compared to a plain captoe.

TheBronze

New in Town
Well Gentlemen, thank you all for your insights. I have recently aquired a pair of previously owned, but never worn, pair of Bostonians from Ebay. They are the ones with the leather soles and fit me perfectly. I got them for only $60 so it was kind of a no brainer bargain. Still keeping the others in my sights for down the road!

Matt Deckard

Man of Action
I'd say go with shell.
http://www.thefedoralounge.com/showthread.php?61171-Why-Shell-Cordovan&

Better and better looking with age...
photo.JPG

D

Deleted member 16736

Matt, do you dance in your shells or are they too heavy?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DPR