Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Burns documentary and Latino veterans

Feraud

Bartender
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20070408/ap_en_tv/ap_on_tv_protesting_the_war
An interesting article on the excluded veterans of WWII.

By DAVID BAUDER, AP Television Writer
Sun Apr 8, 12:34 PM ET

Activists who believe Latinos deserve more recognition for their contributions during World War II have created an agonizing political problem for PBS and filmmaking star Ken Burns.

Several Latino leaders and military veterans, angry that Burns' high-profile documentary series "The War" includes no conversations with Latinos who fought, are demanding changes. PBS and Burns want to satisfy an important constituency, without the precedent of a filmmaker forced to change his vision due to a protest.

PBS chief executive Paula Kerger, after meetings with leaders including Congress' Hispanic caucus, has promised suggested solutions as early as this week.

Burns' 14-hour documentary is scheduled to premiere in September. PBS hopes it becomes as definitive a record of the World War II experience as Burns' "The Civil War" was for that conflict, and as popular. Kerger has already described it as Burns' greatest work.

Even though the film hasn't been seen publicly, its lack of Latino representation was sniffed out by Maggie Rivas-Rodriguez, a former newspaper reporter who runs an oral history project about Latino World War II veterans at the University of Texas.

Rivas-Rodriguez and her staff police projects about World War II all over the country — books, films, conferences and the like — to make sure Latinos are represented. Last November, when Burns previewed his film at a museum, her project manager asked whether Latino veterans were interviewed in the documentary. She was told no, and immediately set about trying to raise awareness.

Anger over "The War" has deep roots.

Rivas-Rodriguez has stories from Latino Medal of Honor winners who came home to Texas only to be denied service at restaurants. She thinks few Americans are aware of the experiences, and the lack of attention it received in Tom Brokaw's best-selling book "The Greatest Generation" didn't help.

"It's a real sore spot to say to someone that your experience wasn't unique in this country," she said. "Our people weren't valued. Not only were they not valued then, they are not being valued today."

The large Latino presence among the armed forces fighting the Iraq War deepens the sensitivity toward this issue, said Marta Garcia, head of the New York chapter of the National Hispanic Media Coalition.

Burns' film focuses on the wartime experiences of people from four communities across the country — Waterbury, Conn.; Mobile, Ala.; Sacramento, Calif.; and Luverne, Minn. He weaves their individual stories about combat together to tell how the war changed lives, and changed the world.

Since he's spent his career trying to tell overlooked stories in American history, Burns said he can appreciate the Latino community's concerns.

"We did not set out to exclude Latinos, or any other group for that matter," he told The Associated Press. "In fact, thousands of stories have not been included. We set out to explore the human experience of war and combat based on a handful of stories told by individuals in only four American towns."

Still, it hasn't escaped the Latino groups' notice that blacks are talked to in the film about segregated forces, and Japanese-Americans about their internment.

Burns' stature makes the issue so crucial. "A lot of people regard Ken Burns as the country's documentarian," Rivas-Rodriguez said.

She would like to see the project expanded to include the Latino experience, perhaps even by a couple of hours. A separate film has little appeal, because few beyond those directly involved would care, she said.

"It has to be something substantive," she said. "It can't be simply inserting someone with a (Latin) last name and saying, `Oh, yeah, he was there, too.'"

To Burns, the film is done. He's already traveling to promote it, and showed a segment to cadets at West Point two weeks ago. PBS wanted to finish early to allow for ancillary products, including a book. PBS affiliates are making films about local wartime experiences.

Even if they were to entertain the idea, Burns' representatives argue that substantial changes would be difficult. To fit the narrative, Burns would have to find Latino veterans from one of the four communities, and seek out footage from the specific battles they talk about. The time-consuming process is why it took six years to make the film.

Imagine PBS' predicament. Its executives are loath to impose upon someone's creative vision, particularly the system's biggest star. If PBS changes a film because of one group's complaint, what happens the next time?

Yet PBS, of course, gets a big chunk of its funding from the federal government. The Hispanic caucus is much more important than it was five months ago, when the election put Congress under Democratic control. The National Hispanic Media Coalition is also well known to PBS for its challenges to TV station license renewals, and has criticized PBS for not hiring enough Latinos.

"PBS takes this situation very seriously," said PBS spokeswoman Lea Sloan. "The stories of all the diverse communities in this country, including the Latinos, are of critical importance and while PBS has been a leading forum for these voices to be heard, there is more that needs to be done."

Michael Getler, PBS' ombudsman, has looked into the issue. He wondered whether anyone had even thought about Latino veterans during the film's six-year gestation. If nothing else, it shows how new thinking is always necessary in a diverse country, he said.

He did not, however, offer ideas to satisfy the protesters.

___

On the Net:

http://www.pbs.org

http://www.defendthehonor.org

Nick Charles

Practically Family
you nknow its just too bad they need to use scare tactics and hair pulling to get what they want. Its not their film its Kens, he does great work and It isn't right to make him change it. They should be ashamed of themseleves If you read their comments, this inparticular[She would like to see the project expanded to include the Latino experience, perhaps even by a couple of hours. A separate film has little appeal, because few beyond those directly involved would care, she said"-- So by her own admission it isn't going to make a big difference.

resortes805

Call Me a Cab
In the last couple of months, the phrase "The Ken Burns effect" has become a popular way to refer to people or institutions that ignore Latinos. I thought it was hilarious when I first heard it.

Lincsong

I'll Lock Up
Just what exactly do the films detractors want said????? It's not enough for the producers to interview a person with a Spanish last name, they want something else. Sounds political and agenda driven to me.

Martinis at 8

Practically Family
This is political agenda BS. I am not a WW2 veteran, but I am a Latino, a West Point grad, an Airborne Ranger, and had five years of active duty and eight years of reserve duty. CMH winner Roy Benavides was also a personal freind of mine. There is no such outrage in the Latino community, military or civilian.

Just let us fight. When a bullfighter gets in the ring he expects only one of two possible outcomes, and noting else. Viva Manolete!

Cheers,

M8

Martinis at 8

Practically Family
Lincsong said:
Just what exactly do the films detractors want said????? It's not enough for the producers to interview a person with a Spanish last name, they want something else. Sounds political and agenda driven to me.

Hey Lincsong,

I like your avatar. Here's me, a young Latino US Army captain in my 007, and my boss is wearing his 007 also. Guess who? ;)

http://i112.photobucket.com/albums/n169/auto447019/63725dab.jpg

Cheers,

M8

Martinis at 8

Practically Family
Lincsong said:
Awesome.:eusa_clap Is that you in the middle? Best picture I've see today.:D

Yeppers. That's me facing President Reagan. As you can see, he's shaking my hand and also grabbing my other arm. I gotta say he was very appreciative of the American serviceman. I met with him twice. This was circa 1985.

Cheers,

M8

P.S. I'll take the pic down now, as I really meant to send that to you as a PM.

Sefton

Call Me a Cab
Maybe her group should put it's time and resources into making their own film. If they were being denied the right to make their own documentary that would certainly be outrageous and unjust,but to probe around the country looking for and (in my opinion) manufacturing offense where none exists is a waste of time.

Martinis at 8

Practically Family
resortes805 said:
Some may not care about their history, but I care about mine. I'll just leave it at that.

Nope, can't let you go just like that.

Actually most do care about their history. However, I would add that most don't need it paraded around in order to be recognized, or so that they may feel they have accomplished something either individually or collectively. This is what Patton called "confidence", and the confident KNOW what they have done. There is no need of validation/recognition by others.

As I said before, when a bullfighter steps into the ring he expects only one of two outcomes. He doesn't care about the audience.

Saludos,

M8

Feraud

Bartender
Martinis at 8 said:
Nope, can't let you go just like that.

Actually most do care about their history. However, I would add that most don't needed it paraded around in order to be recognized, or so that they may feel they have accomplished something either individually or collectively. This is what Patton called "confidence", and the confident KNOW what they have done. There is no need of validation/recognition by others.

As I said before, when a bullfighter steps into the ring he expects only one of two outcomes. He doesn't care about the audience.

Saludos,

M8
I agree everyone cares about their history. I disagree that people do not want to be recognized. Recognition is not parade but an acknowledgement.

The majority of people are not warrior soldiers or bullfighters. They are regular hard working folks with families who contributed their blood and sweat to make this country what it is.

A few minutes of recognition in a ponderous documentary is not too much to ask, it it?

Zemke Fan

Call Me a Cab
I have tried since this thread started...

to find the words to adequately articulate my feelings, but I am still unable to do so. All I can say at the moment is that this controversy seems to represent -- for me at least -- why the phrase *freedom of expression* has about as much meaning in contemporary America as it did during Stalin's rule in the Soviet Union. The only difference is that today people don't fear that the GOVERNMENT will hang them for what they say (or in this case DON'T say)... they fear that they will be publicly drawn-and-quartered by self-annointed vigilante organizations (and the mobs they incite) until their careers and reputations are in ruins.

Martinis at 8

Practically Family
Feraud said:
I agree everyone cares about their history. I disagree that people do not want to be recognized. Recognition is not parade but an acknowledgement.

The majority of people are not warrior soldiers or bullfighters. They are regular hard working folks with families who contributed their blood and sweat to make this country what it is.

A few minutes of recognition in a ponderous documentary is not too much to ask, it it?

The recognition is there and the history is there. What's not there is the instant gratification wanted by those who seek "group" recognition from sound bites or from the lazier aspects of having the history and recognition brought to them by television and other such media that require no investigation on the part of the viewer/listener. These are the types who simply whine and snivel that they haven't gotten "equal time". History is written and is there for those who read it.

As an example, I mentioned Roy Benavides, a personal friend of mine who died a few years ago. Benavides was the last Medal of Honor winner in Vietnam. There's even a GI Joe doll that was made in his honor by the Hasbro toy company. I have one sitting on my shelf.

Another example is that the first female graduate from West Point to die in combat was a Latina and a Black. This is all known, and the history is there.

What the whiners & snivellers want is "consumer" history, i.e., drop it at my doorstep and make me feel good about my "group".

Cheers,

M8

Lincsong

I'll Lock Up
American history is all our history. I have an great uncle who was killed in the Phillippines during the last days of the war. He's buried at Golden Gate National Cemetary in San Bruno, CA. On his tombstone it's carved; Juan Rodrigues 1945, nothing else. Not; Juan Rodrigues; Spanaird, Puerto Rican, Andalusian etc. His younger brother, who served in the Coast Guard in the 1950's has a standard bronze military headstone that reads; Cecilio Rodrigues U.S. Coast Guard and his birthdate and deathdate.

My Dad served in World War II as did many of his cousins. One cousin was MIA at Chosin during the Korean War. I know about my family history and I know about this nation's history. I'm quite familiar about the bar fights my Dad and others of his generation had in Texas while on leave and I could really care less. This documentary didn't overlook anyone and the professor from Texas exposed her agenda; "it's not enough to have a person with a Spanish last name".

I can't speak for American soldiers of Italian ancestry, but I know a couple WWII soldiers whose are of Portuguese ancestry and they weren't exactly welcomed with open arms in the American South or Texas either. Are any of them highlighted in the documentary? That's all in the past. Another point; "latino" soldiers weren't segregated in the Army like Black and Oriental soldiers nor were they separated in the Census counts.

Martinis at 8

Practically Family
Lincsong said:
American history is all our history. I have an great uncle who was killed in the Phillippines during the last days of the war. He's buried at Golden Gate National Cemetary in San Bruno, CA. On his tombstone it's carved; Juan Rodrigues 1945, nothing else. Not Juan Rodrigues; Spaniaird, Puerto Rican, Andalusian etc. My Dad also served in World War II as did many of his cousins. One cousin was MIA at Chosin during the Korean War. I know about my family history and I know about this nation's history. I'm quite familiar about the bar fights my Dad and others of his generation had in Texas and I could really care less. This documentary didn't overlook anyone and the professor from Texas exposed her agenda; "it's not enough to have a person with a Spanish last name".

Well said.

MrBern

I'll Lock Up
Actually I would love to see more projects about latino vets.
I saw an interview w/ a pilot who expressed his profound dismay when told that a mexican should be a cook, not a pilot. But he went back & made it thru.
If you dont ask for these stories, they will be lost.
And frankly, in BandofBrothers, the Latino paratroops were glossed over. I think its interesting that there werent any african-american paratroopers, but there were latinos in combat.
Isnt Battleground a better movie for its inclusion of RicardoMontalban?

Lincsong

I'll Lock Up
MrBern said:
Actually I would love to see more projects about latino vets.
I saw an interview w/ a pilot who expressed his profound dismay when told that a mexican should be a cook, not a pilot. But he went back & made it thru.
If you dont ask for these stories, they will be lost.
And frankly, in BandofBrothers, the Latino paratroops were glossed over. I think its interesting that there werent any african-american paratroopers, but there were latinos in combat.
Isnt Battleground a better movie for its inclusion of RicardoMontalban?

The film Guadalcanal Diary also had Anthony Quinn and Desi Arnaz.

In the hospital scene in Patton, there was a wounded soldier, I believe his name was Gomez, General Patton asked him where was he from and Gomez' reply was; "California, sir". Patton told Gomez that he too was from California.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
green_entrails