Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Buster Keaton's "The General"

ITG

Call Me a Cab
Last night I had the pleasure of going to watch the 1920s Buster Keaton silent film "The General" on a large screen with a live soundtrack provided by the Fort Worth Symphony Orchestra and a pianist who improved on the piano throughout the movie. I must say I thoroughly enjoyed it and it was lots more funny than any Chaplin film I've seen. I would highly recommend this film to anyone, as I found myself laughing more than I would during an I LOVE LUCY episode.

shamus

Suspended
I think it's one of his best. Especially the picture of train in his house cracks me up even today just thinking about it.

A side note: The locomotive that goes over the bridge was a real one, not a miniature! Talk about a one take on that one.

shamus

Suspended
The scene in which The Texas crashes through the bridge was the single most expensive shot of the entire silent movie era. The Texas itself remained in the river until WWII, when it was salvaged for scrap iron.

Just saw this on IMDB

ITG

Call Me a Cab
Thanks for the info. Wow! Enviromentalists today would have a cow with that if it happened today. Well, I'm glad the train wasn't a total waist since it was used for scrap metal.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jusa80