Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Buyer's Remorse or "What do we do with our failures?"

trapp

Practically Family
Sloan, the shell on that A2 looks amazing. And the knits look good as well. Seems to me the only variable is fit - and that's always a question. Nice score.

I've taken three eBay risks on leather jackets and, amazingly, each one has worked out fantastic. In two of the cases it involved half-arsed grainy photos, poor descriptions, and low BINs. The photo quality was so bad that it was like peering desperately through fogged glass to see the jacket underneath. Yet suspecting something good, I held my breath and pulled the trigger. Buying this way I pulled in a amazing old Buco, an early Vanson Enfield that I LOVE, and most recently, a Langlitz cascade for my daughter (have a thread on that one).

As it turns out, the Vanson and the Langlitz have been my most pleasant experiences buying leather ever. I know I will get a dud sooner or later but this kind of low-risk / high-reward buying suits me. I'm not interested in custom; I'm too fickle to ever settle on custom details and I truly can't stand to wait. I like knowing within a week if a gamble paid off. And I like not having a ton of accumulated emotional, financial, and time invested in a jacket so that when I open the box I have a ton of pressure to really like the jacket. I tried that once with boots (very expensive, long wait) and I didn't like the experience. In fact, I felt like I paid a lot of money for an experience (and pair of boots) that I felt, at best, ambivalent about.

Last edited:

Sloan1874

I'll Lock Up
Sloan, the shell on that A2 looks amazing. And the knits look good as well. Seems to me the only variable is fit - and that's always a question. Nice score.

Sadly, the size was out - once again, I'm the victim of someone who can't use a tape measure. It's a shame, as I'd gathered together a set of knits from Aero and lining and label from Good Wear, but I'm going to put together as a package and stick it online - I've spoken to Denny at Aero and they said that the jacket is workable, and it's apparently quite a rare longer body A-2, so hopefully it'll attract some interest and I'll get something close to my money back.

Fanch

I'll Lock Up
Craig, how does it not fit? Too big or too small? Fortunately it is an original, and as such has an intrinsic value that nothing else does.

Sloan1874

I'll Lock Up
I will need to check them. One of the problems was the the lining is shorter than the shell, so it causes the back to 'bag' slightly. It's over at my other half's, but I'll do some measurements tomorrow and let you know. Jacket's pretty worn, but definitely wearable.

Sloan1874

I'll Lock Up
Craig, how does it not fit? Too big or too small? Fortunately it is an original, and as such has an intrinsic value that nothing else does.

It's just too big. I tried on an original A-2 today at Aero, an Aero A-2 no-less, and it looked great. The Cable was just hung on me. It's a big 38, rather than a 36.

nick123

I'll Lock Up
It's just too big. I tried on an original A-2 today at Aero, an Aero A-2 no-less, and it looked great. The Cable was just hung on me. It's a big 38, rather than a 36.

You are the most geographically fortunate person on this planet, do you realize??

Sloan1874

I'll Lock Up
:D And yet it always seems to rain when I drive over there - I swear, I think I've seen Gala in the sunshine, at the most, twice!

pipvh

Practically Family
I've got a horrible feeling that I'm more a 'thrill of the chase' guy and that I may never actually be satisfied. I flip most of my acquisitions very quickly - too quickly, probably. I really ought to live with them for a bit to see if they're better than I think they are but... Anyway, this realisation is making me nervous about shelling out for a new jacket. All the nail-biting, just to find that the result is horrible or - worse - just meh.

Fastuni

Call Me a Cab
Buyer's remorse can't be worse than seller's remorse... money you can always come by one way or the other... but something rare you sold won't come back.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Antonio925