Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Buyer's Remorse or "What do we do with our failures?"

Stanley Doble

Call Me a Cab
Normal human nature. We all think we will be happy if we just get the right job, the right car, the right clothes, the right wife, if we can get rid of the wrong wife (made a mistake on that one) etc etc etc.

Then we get some of these things and we are disappointed. It turns out they don't make us happy, or if they do, it is only for a short time.

So we run out to get something else that will make us happy, and on and on.

You can drive yourself into a heart attack or worse, if you don't get wise to yourself and realize what is going on. That getting more stuff, beyond a certain point, is not going to make you happy, or the happiness is not worth the time, money, and effort involved.

Where you go from there I do not know. I only got wise to myself a few years ago (age nearly sixty) and can only say, you will buy a lot less stuff, and be more discriminating whether you will use it or not, and be a lot more relaxed and have more time to yourself.

Last edited:
Yeah, this thread is so utterly relevant to the situation I am in right now, and yes, I too am guilty on all counts but at least I've learned something from it all... Before I'd optimistically delude myself and stick my failures for months before finally accepting the fact that it just ain't working for me. I'm smarter now. I can tell right away if there's any chance of a romance and if not, I box it up and send it back. Provided that's an option, of course! If not, eBay, classifieds, etc. Thankfully, in the mean time, an even better idea of what I want dawned on me, so maybe it's better things turned out this way, eh? Either way, can't stand having it in the house, reminding me of how naive and stupid I was to even hope for the grail! Yes, I know that obtaining the grail is impossible, but there's that damn hope...

Frankly, I'm a little tired of it. I've near given up on it all, and am just hoping for a decent MC jacket, which that J106 of mine shoulda been. Unfortunately, I still care enough not to settle with a jacket made for a person twice my size.

I wish there was another hobby I could find? Don't seem to care for anything else but jackets... How odd it all is.

nick123

I'll Lock Up
Normal human nature. We all think we will be happy if we just get the right car, the right clothes, the right wife, if we can get rid of the wrong wife (made a mistake on that one) etc etc etc.

Then we get some of these things and we are disappointed. It turns out they don't make us happy, or if they do, it is only for a short time.

You can drive yourself into a heart attack or worse, if you don't get wise to yourself and realize what is going on. That getting more stuff, beyond a certain point, is not going to make you happy, or the happiness is not worth the time, money, and effort involved.

Where you go from there I do not know. I only got wise to myself a few years ago (age nearly sixty) and can only say, you will buy a lot less stuff, and be more discriminating whether you will use it or not, and be a lot more relaxed and have more time to yourself.

^Brilliant. That makes a lot of sense.

Big J

Call Me a Cab
Normal human nature. We all think we will be happy if we just get the right job, the right car, the right clothes, the right wife, if we can get rid of the wrong wife (made a mistake on that one) etc etc etc.

Yeah, I agree with that. I spent the last 6 months trying to find the right mistress.

Worf

I'll Lock Up

THAT sir... sounds like hard won wisdom. Thanks for sharing!

Worf

technovox

One Too Many
Good topic. Like many others here, I’ve certainly had my share of “failures.” But after the initial disappointment and hand ringing passes, I try to look at failure as part of the inevitable learning process associated with collecting anything worthwhile. With each purchase, I incrementally add one more piece to the puzzle about what style, measurements, leather, and color works, or more importantly, doesn’t work for me. Failure is just part of the fun. Consequently, lured by the blinding beauty of a vintage leather patina, or a “must-have” rare and obscure brand, I have slowly and methodically acquired a leather jacket “graveyard” littered with the sad carcasses of mistakes and impulse buys.
As long as a jacket fits well, I tend to keep it. A good fit is so hard to find, and I’ve come to value anything that comes close, despite imperfections. Anything that falls short on fit, comfort, and/or quality… thank god for craigslist and ebay. Better to let it go and move on as quickly as possible. Meanwhile, the quest for that “ perfect one”, that grail, that quintessential leather jacket for all seasons continues. It’s already on order and should be arriving next month.

nick123

I'll Lock Up
Just for the heck of it:
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg

Big J

Call Me a Cab
After thinking seriously about it, I think I can honestly say that in respect to jackets, I've never had buyers remorse.
I was a little worried about my recent G-1, but now I really like how crappy it is- it's a real 70's issue crappy:)

I think the key is that when I wanted to buy an A-2, G-1, or whatever, I read EVERYTHING that other members had posted here first. That's why FL is great!

Fanch

I'll Lock Up
Generally the only time I have buyer's remorse is when something doesn't fit properly, particulary shoes. It seems like I wore ill fitting shoes and clothes for most of my adult life, and earlier. "Too soon old; too late smart." :(

Brettafett

One Too Many
Yeah, this thread is so utterly relevant to the situation I am in right now...
Frankly, I'm a little tired of it.

+1

Feeling you guys. My last few jackets have been duds, tired of wasting $ and waiting months only to be disappointed. I am in serious need of a 'win' for a change. I am still waiting for one crew to refund me since April this year! A couple of things in the pipeline that I am holding hopes on, but, alas, I too have learned to not get too excited. A shame. Have a GW still 6 months out (its already been a year) and to be honest, getting a bit tired of the waiting. If I found just one jacket that would fit right and tick most of the boxes, I recon I would be out and on too other things, but to find that bleeding thing.

Yep, exactly that, Brettafett! As much as I really, really love leather jackets, I think it's about time I find that one jacket that would finally get my mind off this whole business so that I can finally enjoy wearing the bloody thing without having to think about it. I don't plan on having a wardrobe full of jackets, don't plan on collecting 'em, just one is all I'm asking. That Aero MC jacket was the closest I got, alas...

But yes, even with duds, I've never had buyers remorse when it comes to jackets. On the other hand, I bought a Wacom pen-tablet monitor some time ago that's basically essential for the work I do, and buyers remorse is still eating at me...

nick123

I'll Lock Up
Yep, exactly that, Brettafett! As much as I really, really love leather jackets, I think it's about time I find that one jacket that would finally get my mind off this whole business so that I can finally enjoy wearing the bloody thing without having to think about it. I don't plan on having a wardrobe full of jackets, don't plan on collecting 'em, just one is all I'm asking. That Aero MC jacket was the closest I got, alas...

But yes, even with duds, I've never had buyers remorse when it comes to jackets. On the other hand, I bought a Wacom pen-tablet monitor some time ago that's basically essential for the work I do, and buyers remorse is still eating at me...

I hear you. I've only started having fun with one jacket that's worked out under my belt. (it's back and forth on the classifieds, but that's another story). Once you settle on one, your heart rate goes down and you begin to relax...but that journey from zero to one is a dry, heartbreaking, and lonely trek. Rest assured you'll hit the oasis with enough patience and tenacity.

Sloan1874

I'll Lock Up
I currently have an original A-2 incoming from eBay. Didn't cost me the planet, just £200, but it's going to need the lining replaced, new cuffs and some pecarding. Part of me is really looking forward to the project but I'm also slightly worried that I'm going to end up with a lemon, at which point the 'bargain' turns into 'WHAT WAS I THINKING?!' :D

Fanch

I'll Lock Up
Craig, it's all in the hunt, not the kill. :) Hopefully the leather is still good and the original A-2 fits you. Fortunately, you live in close proximity to someone who can give you a new lining and knits. :D

Last edited:

Sloan1874

I'll Lock Up
The measurements all seem to hit the mark, but I've discovered of late that one person's small is another's over-sized medium, or, even worse, they've just cut and paste a set of pre-typed measurements on to the description.
This is jacket, it's a Cable 27753:

Fanch

I'll Lock Up
The knits don't look half bad based on one pic. I doubt that you will do anything until Ken has given it a quick look over. Maybe send a bunch of pics to Andrew and get his take. Since you have an original piece of history, I am sure you will proceed with caution before doing anything. Hope it works out for you.

Sloan1874

I'll Lock Up
Absolutely. Should arrive on Thursday, and I'll have a good idea then. It's got a satin lining at the moment, so that will have to go no matter what, but I'll wait to see the rest. Quite excited, but as ever, what looks great on eBay can come up short in reality... Favourite story is of woman who spent months looking for the perfect dining room table. One evening, having had a few drinks, she finally found what she was looking for, and it was just £40. Clicking 'buy it now', she sat back, delighted, and waited. Two weeks later a padded envelope slips through the letter box. Woman opens it and finds inside her dining room table, perfectly proportioned for a doll's house. Now that's buyer's remorse...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Antonio925