Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Buying from Fedora Store - Hat Size vs. S.M,L etc

Blackhorse

One of the Regulars
I have this hat and like it very much...in Beaver which is a deep dark rich brown. FYI in terms of the size of mine...my head measures in at right between 60 and 61 cm. - which makes me right between a 7 1/2 and 7 5/8. Now in some hats I wear a 7 1/2 quite well and in others a 7 5/8 is perfect...it varies from hat to hat even within the same manufacturer...but this one, as an XL, fits quite well. In addition, it has some taper to the crown and is nice and soft, so it rather conforms to the shape of one's head as you pull it down toward the tops of your ears...etc. It's rather accomodating! This is just a guide to whatever your specific size might be. I hope this helps.

Sizes are an interesting subject. Vintage hats often shrink a bit and need to be stretched. A slighly oversized hat can be "shimmed" with paper or other materials under the band. I have 4 hats that are noted to be a 7-1/8th and their fit is different for each one. Undersized is the problem side, oversized if by a little can be made up for again by shimming.

Fine hats can be resized but only with in reason.

Sincerely best wishes with your next hat!

BegintheBeguine

My Mail is Forwarded Here
What they said

I bought the FedoraFelts(tm), which are mentioned under the fabulous FedoraStore's size chart on their site. They work great with the XL cowboy hat I just recieved for $10.00!! Even though my hat size is 7.5, with a general (SMLXL) sizing I knew I might need to tweak the actual hat when I received it.

thetankw/ahat

Familiar Face
something i noticed

i shop on fedorastore quite often and i've noticed that different companies use different sizing methods. generally a s/m/l/xl sizing is going to be a bit cheaper than a hat with a standard size. look around and you'll notice the same.

it's also different depending on what hat style you purchase from the site. i just found this hat here that has a standard sizing.

bailey is a really good hat company too. all of mine are bailey.

BigSho

Vendor
The small meduim large etc. sizes technically are made to span 2 sizes for each letter size starting at 6 3/4 to 7 5/8. They are usually not very accurate and one small will very from another and what not.So a large in that particular bailey they would consider a 7 1/4 to a 7 3/8.

Jeremy
http://www.hats-plus.com

gekisai29

One of the Regulars
sizing a lid is one of the most frustrating experiences you can have. measure carefully as indicated on our fine vendors' sites & go a little larger & you should be ok

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
eve_grace