Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

C Curls

Meeting Gman

New in Town
One thing I have had endless trouble with over the years was curling the front part of my hair. I still have yet to understand how to master this. My goal this time is to get Loiuse Brooks curl as seen in this photo:

LouiseBrooks1.jpg

Granted, this was most likely done by professional hair stylists, but I would just love to know how I can accomplish something similar.

I absolutely love how the front curls have this sort of slope on the sides as if molded and then the curls end with a nice point outwards. I imagine her hair was loaded with styling products as whenever she moved her hair would move in clumps. Still I am dieing to know how this is accomplished. Does one need to use a hairdryer? Any special hair products?

At the current I use a hair dryer a flat brush and a round brush to lightly curl the ends under. However, curling the ends under with a round brush makes me feel as though I am doing it wrong.

Also, I assume this is an angled bob, but I am not 100% certain since I don't see any photos of her hair without styling.

Thank you for reading

Tourbillion

Practically Family
I used to have a bob like this. My hair curled like that whenever I put my hair behind my ears for more than a few minutes.

I am not sure about the existence of blow dryers in the 1920's, but you could always pin curl your hair if you have to be 100% authentic, and if you can't achieve that curl by putting your hair behind your ears.

Meeting Gman

New in Town
To be true I have tried putting my hair behind my ears and I've tried sleeping on it a certain way. It helps a little bit but then doesn't last once I shower or the effect isn't as strong once my hair has been washed.

As for hair dryers, the first hand held hair dryer was available in 1920. Now, how widely they were used, I do not know.

KittyT

I'll Lock Up
Meeting Gman said:
To be true I have tried putting my hair behind my ears and I've tried sleeping on it a certain way. It helps a little bit but then doesn't last once I shower or the effect isn't as strong once my hair has been washed.

Why would it? As with any curl, unless you have naturally curly hair, the curl is going to come out when you wash it, right?!

Meeting Gman

New in Town
KittyT said:
Why would it? As with any curl, unless you have naturally curly hair, the curl is going to come out when you wash it, right?!

There in lies the problem! I need some way to create these curls after a wash that will retain them through the day. I have tried using a round brush and hair dryer, but to me, that just doesn't seem to be the right way. This "C curl (for lack of better term) alludes me and so I am so excited to find out how to do them proper.

KittyT

I'll Lock Up
Meeting Gman said:
There in lies the problem! I need someway to create these curls after a wash that will retain them through the day.

OK, sorry if I misunderstood. It sounded like you were lamenting that the curl didn't stay after you washed it, not that you just couldn't get it to stay in general. I'd check out the pincurls thread, because there will be lots of tips in there for you like 1. curl will hold better in dirty hair and 2. use product. For something like this, you might want to just use a light gel or mouse, put it behind your ear while it dries, then spray your finished style.

MarieAnne

Practically Family
Perhaps if you used a smaller round brush. And blow dried the hair down and under to create curl. And then comb it so that the front sections are turned forward slightly. With hair this short it can't take long to dry.

Meeting Gman

New in Town
Okay, I gave it another go today. Please tell me your thoughts and be kindly honest! It still does not look right.

2s9zv5s.jpg

jrpwtk.jpg

Puzzicato

One Too Many
I think it looks fantastic, but I think your front bits need to be slightly longer - they are sitting perfectly, but the hair needs to be a little longer to curl.

My 2c, and I suspect other people have a more educated view.

Meeting Gman

New in Town
Puzzicato said:
I think it looks fantastic, but I think your front bits need to be slightly longer - they are sitting perfectly, but the hair needs to be a little longer to curl.

My 2c, and I suspect other people have a more educated view.

Much agreed. In all my fervor I kept cutting and cutting and made my hair a bit too short. It will take time, but at least it will grow out eventually.

Also, thank you very much

Shirin

A-List Customer
I agree with puzzicato that the front sides of the hair should be longer. You could also try using setting lotion and a very loose pincurl to make it last a few days.

Wire9Vintage

A-List Customer
Yep, it's the cut, not your hair. The next time you go in for a trim, how about take the photo you posted above. A good stylist can cut your hair to make it curl like that. Some stylists are magicians!

Brooksie

One Too Many
I have had my hair cut in that exact haircut for many years (not now I have grown it out and it is long again), my hair is very straight like yours. I have never been able to get that perfect C curl around the face like that. I have tried everything...everything from using a small round brush while drying, med & large round brush while drying. A pin curl at each side, a small roller at each side etc...I am also a licensed hairstylist since 1988 so I have learned how to do every style under the sun and own every hair gadget in the world and I have NEVER been able to get my hair to do this. I have even tried having it slightly longer in the front in an A - line Bob cut and I have asked other stylist to try to make it look like that with no success. I finally gave up and have accepted the fact that it was never going to happen and I am ok with that. I have come to the conclusion that some peoples hair will do it and others will not.

Brooksie

Meeting Gman

New in Town
Brooksie said:
I have had my hair cut in that exact haircut for many years (not now I have grown it out and it is long again), my hair is very straight like yours. I have never been able to get that perfect C curl around the face like that. I have tried everything...everything from using a small round brush while drying, med & large round brush while drying. A pin curl at each side, a small roller at each side etc...I am also a licensed hairstylist since 1988 so I have learned how to do every style under the sun and own every hair gadget in the world and I have NEVER been able to get my hair to do this. I have even tried having it slightly longer in the front in an A - line Bob cut and I have asked other stylist to try to make it look like that with no success. I finally gave up and have accepted the fact that it was never going to happen and I am ok with that. I have come to the conclusion that some peoples hair will do it and others will not.

Brooksie

I think I am in the same boat as you. My hair does not wish to do anything I want it to do. Thank you for your post, it was nice to get a professional stylists opinion.

I sincerely appreciate everyones opinions and advice.

BoPeep

Practically Family
What about curling the tips when wet and taping it to your cheeks (literally)? My mother used a soft, pink (sort of fabric) tape in the '60s to set little wisps of hair that weren't long enough to stay on rollers. It didn't have a lot of stick to it, so it may work best to sleep in.

sixsexsix

Practically Family
Yup, tape is the way to go! If your hair is not long enough to do a front pincurl before bed, just spit curl it (wet it and tape it to your cheek). When you wake up it will have dried in the "C" shape you want. Although hair tape is good, you can also use plain old masking or scotch tape (don't use anything really "goopy" sticky like duct tape or electrical tape, if you know what I mean)

Wire9Vintage

A-List Customer
lol I just had a Laverne and Shirley moment! Remember? Laverne would always tape her bangs. And I think in the opening credits, it showed Shirley ripping the tape off Laverne's hair!

I'd forgotten all about that tape! It was actually good stuff... do they still sell it?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
usleathermart