Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

C Curls

CherryWry

One of the Regulars
Meeting Gman, I agree...if your hair gets a little teeny bit longer, you will have better luck with the curls. Part of it's the cut, part of it's the right product for your hair texture. I have disgustingly fine straight hair, yet was able to get my bob to do the c-curl by sculpting it with a bit of Garnier fructis shine wax. I'd pinch the ends of my hair between my finger and thumb and stroke them into the curl I wanted while it dried. Wish I had a decent picture.

Meeting Gman

New in Town
Thank you everyone for the replies! The hair tape seems a really neat idea. I checked and they do indeed still sell it, it just seems that you mainly get it online and not in stores. Some people on Amazon sell it, if you are wondering where to get it.

I like Garnier Fructis hair styling items! I am going to leave my hair grow a bit and then attempt to give it an A-cut so it's dramatically shorter in the back but long in the front. I don't like having hair touching my neck anyways. I will have to look for this shine wax as currently I am using their super strong hair gel and it has a very unpleasant stringy consistency that makes a mess and I think it is moreso making hair styles that are vertical rather then horizontal.

Gracie Lee

A-List Customer
I would swear I saw hair tape at Sally Beauty last time I was there. If you have one nearby, you might check there before you relegate yourself to ordering online. Here's the stuff they carry.

Meeting Gman

New in Town
SayCici said:
Gman, I am the same way about hair touching my neck! I hate it. Good luck achieving your curl!

Thank you! Yes, I simply can not stand hair touching my neck! So I have been tending to keep it short.

As for the guiche curls, c curls (whatever they may be called today), taping has indeed provided the best results. I haven't been able to buy any hair tape yet, so I have been using plain cellophane tape and it does the job just fine for now.

What I need is to let my hair grow to a better length and to also trim it so it's all one length. As it is right now, I still have some shorter hair strands in the front from when I had some face-framing layers.

Edit: The hair tape link provided in this thread looks like a great buy. It also says it is porous too, which is one con of using cellophane tape. The part under the tape takes much longer to dry and usually remains damp. This professional hair styling tape looks to remedy that problem. Nice!

FraeuleinBerlin

One of the Regulars
Hello!

One of my friends has hair like this, and she never does anything to it to make the front part of her hair curl... apart from blow drying it that way. I think it's all in the cut! Did you take a picture to your hairdresser and ask them?

Meeting Gman

New in Town
FraeuleinBerlin said:
Hello!

One of my friends has hair like this, and she never does anything to it to make the front part of her hair curl... apart from blow drying it that way. I think it's all in the cut! Did you take a picture to your hairdresser and ask them?

When you say she blow dries it, how does she dry it? The way you dry your hair can effect how it turns out.

In truth I haven't been to a hair dresser in two years. I stopped going due to me not ever being satisfied with the end result and also because appointments make me nervous and similarly, sitting in a chair while someone holds scissors near my face frightens me as well.

It would certainly be easier to go to a hair dresser, but I make do.

Amy Jeanne

Call Me a Cab
Mine is way exaggerated here, but your hair needs to be cut on an angle. To get it like this all I did was blow-dry it forward and then gel the tips together. That's it. I have thin, straight hair, too.

4575_84970559163_624014163_1853458_6966763_n.jpg

Olive Twist

New in Town
That curve

Agreed about the wax. And the cut. I think styling with a kinda pulling motion, which I've seen my hairdresser do, is the key.

I've had my hair like this for years on and off. My hair is fairly straight but can do some odd wave here and there. Curling just made it look too 1980's. (although you might want to try a very light curl with the curling iron, then smooth it out while it's stil warm.)

Here's my best trick to get your hair the way I think you want it. While your hair is drying, you can do this (without product) To the best of my describing ability: Put both hands together in prayer position, fingers pointing up, with your hair in the middle between them, and pull toward your face, resting the inside hand under your cheekbone. Follow that under-curve of the cheekbone as you pull. On dry hair, take almost no wax, just a weeny bit, warm between your fingers, and do the same cheekbone praying pull.

Depending on lenghth and if it works better for you, instead of the praying hands, you could just take the end points with your thumb and forefinger and pull/twist. I hope that made sense!?!?!

Meeting Gman

New in Town
Olive Twist, your "praying" advice was really helpful. Doing so helps to give a nice curl and keeps the hair thin and straight.

I've been trying and doing various things and using various things and have found Murray's Pomade to be very nice. I used a shine/frizz serum after I blow dry my hair and then use Murray's Pomade to keep the ends of my hair slick and smooth and it does a fantastic job of holding things into place. It is worlds better then any hairspray, gel I have ever used.

This hairstyle is really nice because it stays out of my way and I can wear cloche hats and just hats in general and the hairstyle takes it very well.

I'm not sure if it is any better now, but I feel slightly better about it. Please feel free to offer your opinions and suggestions.

2yv8ht1.jpg

2r79bf5.jpg

I don't really know if this style suites my face. I know I haven't a pretty face. So, if you feel I look bad with this cut, please feel free to tell me.

Thank you

Land-O-LakesGal

Practically Family
Meeting Gman said:
I don't really know if this style suites my face. I know I haven't a pretty face. So, if you feel I look bad with this cut, please feel free to tell me.

Thank you
Your face looks very pretty except for the your strange blurry eyes ;) . Hair and face seem to work well together but have a chat with those eyes will you:p .

Land-O-LakesGal

Practically Family
Wire9Vintage said:
lol I just had a Laverne and Shirley moment! Remember? Laverne would always tape her bangs. And I think in the opening credits, it showed Shirley ripping the tape off Laverne's hair!

I'd forgotten all about that tape! It was actually good stuff... do they still sell it?
Ok that just makes me want to watch Lavern and Shirley. Its been a long time....

Roxy

Familiar Face
Meeting Gman said:
Thank you

I agree with Land-O-LakesGal. What we see of your face is quite pretty and I think the short cut accentuates your cheek bones. Very nice. :eek:)

RodeoRose

A-List Customer
Meeting Gman, your hair looks so perfect! A lot like Louise in your avatar, actually.

I love doing C-curls and spit curls around my face, too, but I just use plain old Scotch tape! Works just as well as hair tape, but can be found at any store and is pretty cheap.

Meeting Gman

New in Town
RodeoRose said:
Meeting Gman, your hair looks so perfect! A lot like Louise in your avatar, actually.

I love doing C-curls and spit curls around my face, too, but I just use plain old Scotch tape! Works just as well as hair tape, but can be found at any store and is pretty cheap.

Thank you so much!

Scotch tape really does do wonder. I used that for a little bit, however, I had to switch back to blow drying to get volume and to help the ends of my hair smooth out. It is annoying, the ends of my hair like to poof out.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran