Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Cabelas Safari Jacket

Doctor Damage

I'll Lock Up
Bruce, there's a lengthy thread on bush/safari jackets on the Great Outdoors forum which might have some discussion for you: http://www.thefedoralounge.com/showthread.php?5099-Bush-Jackets. I've got three bush/safari jackets but don't wear any of them since here in SoOnt it's either too hot for anymore more than a shirt or cold enough that a more substantial jacket is needed. I also have some concerns about how and where to wear them; they're quite casual and really can't be dressed up unless you go Full 70s.

Nyah

One of the Regulars
Post pics of it, as well as fabric info.

I can tell you right now though that cotton has no place in my outerwear category of preferred clothing, for the reasons stated by Doctor Damage.

Interbak

One of the Regulars
Hey Bruce,

I really like mine, it's like a long, moderately heavy, cotton shirt. We had a cool evening here in Ontario last night, so I wore it walking the dog. It's perfect for cool summer evenings, spring and fall afternoons.
It's certainly for casual occasions, after all it's meant to be worn in the bush.

B

Big Man

My Mail is Forwarded Here

I've had one of the Cabela's Safari Jackets for over a year now. I have worn the jacket out hiking and also as just a "casual jacket." I am well pleased with the quality of the jacket. I've given it some rough wear over the past year and have no complaints. For the money, it's a nice jacket.

Inusuit

A-List Customer
I've thought safari jackets were an affectation unless you are actually going on a safari. However, the Cabela's version as worn by Big Man is a nice jacket and doesn't scream poser. Nyah, not sure why you don't don't like cotton outerwear. I live in dry country, so my cotton jackets get a lot of use. Could be my favorite is a vintage Orvis cotton fishing shirt. Lots of pockets, breaks the breeze, looks good.

Nyah

One of the Regulars
I wish I hadn't made a blanket agreement with a poster previous to my first post in this thread. It's not what they said about being too casual that I agreed with (the image of going full '70s was funny to me, though). I agree with what Interbak said about casual clothing serving a purpose.

I will elaborate on my unfavorable opinion of cotton for outerwear. Cotton feels really nasty to me. It's not more durable than woven, worsted wool and it's a heavy retainer of moisture. In my opinion, cotton is just not good for clothing other than in the context of underwear. None of that is a judgement of people who wear cotton outerwear, just my opinion of the fabric for my own usage. Serge and whipcord are better choices, in my opinion. These are woven fabrics made of worsted wool. They're smooth, hard and thin, not fluffy like a woolen hunting shirt. They're very similar to denim but made of wool instead of cotton. Wool is the natural coat of an animal, cotton is the natural water retainer of a plant.

Just my 2 cents.

Edit as a reply to Inusuit:
It's just my preference. I haven't spent time in dry climates, my experience is from non-desert areas. Maybe I would like cotton while in your locale.

totallyfrozen

One of the Regulars
My experience is pretty limited. I've lived in Alaska, California, and Texas as well as serving on the Army (and wearing what they required). In my experience, wool is way too hot for me to consider it as a hot weather fabric. Wool is warm even when it's wet. That's why it's enjoyed long term popularity in the north. I've worn GI watch caps on winter SCUBA dives in Alaska and kept my head toasty. Cotton is cold when it's wet. Cotton absorbs and holds a lot of water. Since human bodies cool by evaporation, wearing a damp (e.g. sweaty) cotton shirt on a hot day feels cooler to me. The Army made us wear wool socks even in temps over 100°F. It was pure murder.

All of this is only my own experiences but I've tried wool in the heat and cotton in the heat and found cotton the winner.
I've also worn wool in the cold and cotton in the cold and found wool the winner.

Just my $0.02

Sent from my iPhone 5c using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Big Man

... Wool is warm even when it's wet ...

I always laugh when I hear "wool is warm even when wet." What it should be is, "wool is warmer than other materials when wet." I've been out in the cold and have been wet while wearing wool. I was still cold, but not as cold as I would have been if I'd been wearing cotton.

:) :) :)

totallyfrozen

One of the Regulars
I always laugh when I hear "wool is warm even when wet." What it should be is, "wool is warmer than other materials when wet." I've been out in the cold and have been wet while wearing wool. I was still cold, but not as cold as I would have been if I'd been wearing cotton.

:) :) :)

Hmm. Thought my post was long enough as it is.

Well, yes, wearing damp wool in the cold is not like standing in front of a 40,000 BTU heater but I sort of thought that assumption was understood. In any case, it seems you and I are in agreement.

Big Man

Hmm. Thought my post was long enough as it is.

Well, yes, wearing damp wool in the cold is not like standing in front of a 40,000 BTU heater but I sort of thought that assumption was understood. In any case, it seems you and I are in agreement.

Yes, we are in agreement. I can tell by what you said in your post that you have real life experience being out in the weather. The "keep you warm when wet" line is one that is so often used by folks who have never been really wet or really cold, and I always laugh when I hear it used. No disrespect to you or doubting of your practical knowledge was intended. It's just that after spending 35 years with Search and Rescue, I've heard that line so many times.

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up
I wish I hadn't made a blanket agreement with a poster previous to my first post in this thread. It's not what they said about being too casual that I agreed with (the image of going full '70s was funny to me, though). I agree with what Interbak said about casual clothing serving a purpose.

I will elaborate on my unfavorable opinion of cotton for outerwear. Cotton feels really nasty to me. It's not more durable than woven, worsted wool and it's a heavy retainer of moisture. In my opinion, cotton is just not good for clothing other than in the context of underwear. None of that is a judgement of people who wear cotton outerwear, just my opinion of the fabric for my own usage. Serge and whipcord are better choices, in my opinion. These are woven fabrics made of worsted wool. They're smooth, hard and thin, not fluffy like a woolen hunting shirt. They're very similar to denim but made of wool instead of cotton. Wool is the natural coat of an animal, cotton is the natural water retainer of a plant.

Just my 2 cents.

Edit as a reply to Inusuit:
It's just my preference. I haven't spent time in dry climates, my experience is from non-desert areas. Maybe I would like cotton while in your locale.

You're right no one can change how you feel but the fact remains that cotton has a tradition as outerwear that goes back over a hundred years in denim and duck fabrics which are famous for their hard wearing qualities. Wet or dry.

Nyah

One of the Regulars
The kind of wool I'm talking about is worsted, not the fluffy kind that's meant for warmth. Vintage USA army trousers are made of 18oz, worsted wool serge, which is too hot for me to wear in Summer. If it's below 90f, I can wear 12oz serge.

Are wool military socks knit with worsted yarn or, is it woolen (the fluffy kind of wool that traps heat in)? Regardless of which it is, I've been talking about outerwear here, not socks.

Seb Lucas, I agree that denim follows a certain tradition. However, I'm starting to suspect this is based on its use in desert areas and the real reason it's more common is that it's inexpensive. Wool whipcord/serge is just as tough and, also has a tradition. But this tradition is more with hunters, forest rangers, mail carriers, etc. than with people working in mines or Hollywood.

Last edited:

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up
I think it's fair to say both fabrics are used in all kinds of hard wearing conditions and I was responding to your comment - "In my opinion, cotton is just not good for clothing other than in the context of underwear." which has no reasonable basis to it. Another area cotton is generally superior to wool is as a leather jacket lining. You will wear out a couple of woollen linings before you war out cotton drill. Is woollen whipcord terrific strong stuff? Yep. But the point I'm making is that it's better not to diss cotton arbitrarily as it has great functionality and strength and not just in deserts. I'll bet my cotton corduroy winter trousers on it. ;)

Last edited:

1961MJS

Hi

I have a couple of Cabela's Safari jackets that I use for Fall and Spring in Oklahoma and Kansas. I tend to wear them in the morning on the way to work and carry them to the car. I also use them for pockets at gun shows etc.

I also have some wool now for when it does snow.

Later

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HughGDePoo