Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Cafe racer jacket repair.

photo2u

Call Me a Cab
Hello Friends,

This is my first post on this site. I have been following this forum for a very long time. I have a Brooks (gold label) that needs a zipper resewn. My question has to do with the way the top end of the zipper is secure. Since I do not have a reference how Brooks finish the zipper, I am asking for your advice. I have a Reed that is very similar to the brooks but I might need several zipper stops?

Please advice,
George

Attachments

• 2017044444418_131809.jpg
    2017044444418_131809.jpg
    242.5 KB · Views: 161
  • 2017444440418_132107.jpg
    2017444440418_132107.jpg
    267.3 KB · Views: 145
  • 20170418_13213444444444444440.jpg
    20170418_13213444444444444440.jpg
    497.9 KB · Views: 147

robrinay

One Too Many
Zipper stops can be bought on eBay.
A search for 'zipper stops' will bring up zipper repair items which include stops. High quality stops can be bought from Mash Japan. My Brooks black and red label cafe racer has zipper stops fitted at the point where the zipper tape curves into the leather seam and is stitched into the side seam at the throat of the jacket. I hope that makes sense.

Last edited:

AeroFan_07

I'll Lock Up
George, those are some nice cafe racers you have there! If you are in Calremont, CA, you might try "Saddle Repair Shop" 1026 Leorita St, Baldwin Park, CA 91706 These folks often repair jackets, boots, etc as well, or would know those who could. I prefer taking my jackets into a physical shop for repairs, in my area there are several Amish shops about 30 miles away that do this kind of work. A quick internet search did not indiacte any Amish folks in the southern California area.

photo2u

Call Me a Cab
Zipper stops can be bought on eBay.
A search for 'zipper stops' will bring up zipper repair items which include stops. High quality stops can be bought from Mash Japan. My Brooks black and red label cafe racer has zipper stops fitted at the point where the zipper tape curves into the leather seam and is stitched into the side seam at the throat of the jacket. I hope that makes sense.

photo2u

Call Me a Cab
Thanks! for helping me out. I see what you mean. I have been looking at images on the internet for the Brooks. It appears I have one of the earlier models of the gold label. Either my Brooks came with a smaller talon zipper pulls or the replacement zipper is an older talon type. Again, Thanks for taking the time and posting an image of the exact location I need help with.

George

photo2u

Call Me a Cab
George, those are some nice cafe racers you have there! If you are in Calremont, CA, you might try "Saddle Repair Shop" 1026 Leorita St, Baldwin Park, CA 91706 These folks often repair jackets, boots, etc as well, or would know those who could. I prefer taking my jackets into a physical shop for repairs, in my area there are several Amish shops about 30 miles away that do this kind of work. A quick internet search did not indiacte any Amish folks in the southern California area.

Thanks for your comments regarding my cafe racers. I got them both around the same time. In my view, the Reed as better leather and fit for my body. You know, I work in Baldwin Park. I know exactly the place you mentioned. I just do not know, why I did not think of that....

I truly appreciate all your valuable information. I will keep you posted. I am also contemplating doing the work myself. I have been viewing some videos on youtube and I think I am up to the challenge.

Thanks again and I will post my results.
George

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
steveng183