Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Cajun Quisine

Chas

One Too Many
Any practicioners here? I have always loved it, though it isn't practiced here. There is one mediocre BBQ restaurant that claims New Orleans pedigree, which is laughable. I plan on taking up this place's four class intensive. Pretty reasonable rates, I think. I'm planning on splitting a two week vacation in New Orleans between cooking and music lessons.

Being a complete amateur, I am starting out with a pot of red beans and rice this week, using Andouille sausage as per a recommendation from someone on an online blog on Cajun cooking. Pics to follow.

T Smith

Familiar Face
I love to cook...

And I love to eat what I cook!

Pretty much every recipe, whether gumbo, jambalaya, or etouffee, starts with the "holy trinity" of cajun cooking, sauteed celery, bell pepper, and onion. Add garlic and a couple of bay leaves along with your roux to whatever the catch of the day is meatwise, fish, alligator, crawfish, chicken, beaver, nutria, etc. If you want a gumbo I throw in tomatoes, okra, and yellow corn.

Serve over rice, enjoy!

Foofoogal

Banned
go round and round and round for about 30 minutes with your fire very, very low. No rushing roux. lol
You sure are making hungry for some decent gumbo. My mom made the best God Bless her soul. I have never been able to do it as well or have anyone else do it as well.
French woman.

Chas

One Too Many
Taking my first stab at Red Beans & Rice. Adding tomato sauce as per Louis Armstrong's instructions. Will try to get that useless digital camera working for some pics.

Valhson

One of the Regulars
Mammi (yes, mammi is what we called my friends grandmother) use to say "kiss it with the flame. don't be usin the whole fire... kiss it with the flame"

I think that is key to the roux. Man I do miss being back. DC has a bunch of places but I have learned the hard way here. No matter what. If it says cajun or creole, or even New Orleans style something and such. Stay far away from it. You will only be disappointed.

I still do red beans and rice on mondays. easy and predictable.

storman113

Familiar Face
I love Gumbo and other Cajun cooking.

However, I cheat on the roux! Equal parts flour and oil (I usually use 1/2 cup each) in a large Pyrex measuring cup and microwave for 5 minutes. Then whisk again and add another minute or so till color close to what I want. I stop early as it will continue to cook so to speak for a bit. It's very very hot, so be sure to use a kitchen glove and let cool before placing in the sink.

rcinlv

One of the Regulars
I made two pots of Gumbo for tonight

If you really want to understand Cajun Cuisine, the source is John Folse, and his book The Evolution of Cajun and Creole Cuisine.

As to the microwave method of cooking roux, that was taught to me by a Cajun lady in the mid-80's. Takes a bit longer than the five minutes as stated above, and it is important to whisk every 2-3 minutes. It will cook a bit more after you have finished, so if you want a deep brown roux, stop when you get to chocolate.

My gumbos tonight were chicken and sausage (Andouille from Jacob's in LaPlace) and seafood (shrimp and crab). For me, the key has always been to make my own stock. Canned/bottled stock just won't cut it!

OBTW, where are RedPop and (Can't remember username, but member from gulf coast who ran marathons and collected some really cool Panama's). I would love to hear what they can add to the discussion of Cajun culture and cuisine!

Cheers,

RC

Laissez les bon temps rouler;) !!

Valhson

One of the Regulars
JACOB'S!

Hands down the best smoked meat place on the planet! The First couples years after leaving the area I would come back every 6 months. Get a cooler and some dry ice and buy as much as it would hold then make the trek back up here. I do miss that place, smoked meat around this area just doesnt cut it unless you do it yourself. And that just takes more time than my lazy self will allow.

rcinlv

One of the Regulars
Amen Brother!!!

Valhson said:
JACOB'S!

Hands down the best smoked meat place on the planet! The First couples years after leaving the area I would come back every 6 months. Get a cooler and some dry ice and buy as much as it would hold then make the trek back up here. I do miss that place, smoked meat around this area just doesnt cut it unless you do it yourself. And that just takes more time than my lazy self will allow.

Although it is extremely expensive, we have Andouille and Boudin shipped here to Las Vegas about twice each year. Interestingly, we were referred there by John Folse!

Cheers,

RC

Valhson

One of the Regulars
rcinlv said:
Although it is extremely expensive, we have Andouille and Boudin shipped here to Las Vegas about twice each year. Interestingly, we were referred there by John Folse!

Cheers,

RC

I may have to look into that. I am heading back in a week for obvious reasons ;) I will get the heck out of dodge before lundi gras however.

Coleman shall be full along of Jacob's and the seat shall be further filled with a couple King Cakes.

Cricket

Practically Family
Of course I love the Cajun favorites such as gumbo, jambalaya and boudin, etc....but I think we need to mention my favorite snack to grab, particularly when I am visiting New Orleans.

Beignets the French Doughnut. I try to stock up on the Cafe Du Monde recipe bags whenever I visit there. I think I could eat a ton of those delicious sweets.

Not sure if considered Cajun, but a great snack, especially with either a cup of hot coffee or glass of orange juice.

Valhson

One of the Regulars
Tomasso said:
Just curious but what obvious reasons?

I will be heading down the couple weeks before mardi gras day. the City starts really ramping up that week before. Things really are going by the friday night before through Tuesday.

I have been there enough to know I need to get the heck out before it all starts or I won't get out. The ol' house is in the garden district. If I stay close to the weekend before Mardi Gras, it will simply be too much hassle to get the truck out of there. Can be done but I just know I won't bother doing it. lol Also my little secret is to always stay out of town for Mardi Gras and be sure to be in town for Jazz fest in the spring!

Cafe Du Monde eh? Great addition to this list! Their coffee is great also. :coffee: Anyone know if it is still roasted down parish?

Cricket

Practically Family
Valhson said:
Cafe Du Monde eh? Great addition to this list! Their coffee is great also. :coffee:

The coffee...i know this may be off subject of cajun cuisine, but that coffee gets my mouth watering. I try to find the chicory coffee in my local grocery store. They have a pretty good selection but nothing like Cafe Du Monde. I especially love to add warm milk.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran