Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Californian Leather "Styled by Ronnie Reagan"

JP, as i said earlier, there appears to have been a range of these jackets. I've seen one other, and it was similar in a vague sort of Western way, but really quite different. It was on eBay and was listed as owned by Reagan. lol It went for a stonking chunk of change on the back of this. Apparently the seller had contacted the Reagan estate and they had no records of a leather jacket endorsement*. So they ignored the very clear English on the label and decided it was "Styled For Ronnie Reagan". Buyer beware!

He had a relatively famous role in the late '30s, did he not? I'm leaning towards a theory that these jackets, more or less Western in styling, were designed/endorsed on the back of that movie.

All in all quite a colectable jacket, i'd say.

bk

*I've only been able to find his Chesterfield cigarettes and some kind of Hair Tonic endorsement. And of course the totally unattributed claim of a California Sportwear postwar "flyers jackets" ad. The author (see a few posts up) claims that this ad is famous. Anyone able to track it down???

Feraud

Bartender
Didn't Reagan receive some attention for his role in Knute Rockne All American (1940)?
If so I can see him being approached by Calif. Sportswear Co. for something like this.

Now as to the actual proof..

Baron Kurtz said:
JP, as i said earlier, there appears to have been a range of these jackets. I've seen one other, and it was similar in a vague sort of Western way, but really quite different. It was on eBay and was listed as owned by Reagan. lol It went for a stonking chunk of change on the back of this. Apparently the seller had contacted the Reagan estate and they had no records of a leather jacket endorsement*. So they ignored the very clear English on the label and decided it was "Styled For Ronnie Reagan". Buyer beware!

He had a relatively famous role in the late '30s, did he not? I'm leaning towards a theory that these jackets, more or less Western in styling, were designed/endorsed on the back of that movie.

All in all quite a colectable jacket, i'd say.

bk

*I've only been able to find his Chesterfield cigarettes and some kind of Hair Tonic endorsement. And of course the totally unattributed claim of a California Sportwear postwar "flyers jackets" ad. The author (see a few posts up) claims that this ad is famous. Anyone able to track it down???

In 1939 Reagan starred in Knute Rockne All American (It was released in 1940). It was that role that gave him his nickname as The Gipper and pulled him out of obscurity. Before that he had bit parts and never really got out of the B movies with Bonzo and the like.
And the last thing he said to me, "Rock," he said, "sometime when the team is up against it and the breaks are beating the boys, tell them to go out there with all they've got and win just one for the Gipper. ;) :p
Reagan could well have been into the western styling as he rode horses and had an affinity for the old west. He had enough experience with westerns. ;)

Baron Kurtz said:
p.s. If you ever do find one, JP, buy one 4 sizes up(!) This one is marked 40 and fits like a 36. That's: fits like a vintage 36 (!!!!) As you know modern size 36 runs to about a vintage 40. :rolleyes:

bk

Great. I'll have to look for one made by Omar the tent maker at that size difference. Anyone have one in a size forty-eight to fifty? :rolleyes: :eusa_doh:

Feraud said:
Didn't Reagan receive some attention for his role in Knute Rockne All American (1940)?
If so I can see him being approached by Calif. Sportswear Co. for something like this.

Now as to the actual proof..

I saw this after I responded earlier. Yep, it was that one.
I have to look in my closet as I think I actually have a later model California Sportswear blue sweater with red stripes running down the arms. Sadly, it is not styled by Ronnie. :(

Just to bump this thread, here's an Alan Ladd advertisement for California Sportwear Company. Anyone, with all the advertising resources of FLounge, got a pic of a Reagan advertising campaign for this company?

1255SUEDEALANLADD.jpg

bk

Qinhan

Familiar Face
I just read through this whole thread. A very engaging read. Thanks for the interesting contributions and good luck in the hunt for more information.

D

Deleted member 16736

It's a jacket designed for California weather: goatskin and rayon lining. No need for heavy wool or leather in the balmy California climate. Enough to protect you from the rain or take you down to near freezing, but not below.

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up
I think there was an ad featuring Regan and the jacket (like the one here featuring Ladd) posted on the old VLJ forum.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HughGDePoo