Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Calling all tailors

Matt Deckard

Man of Action
Can you make this?

attachment_phpattachmentid805-vi.jpg

I'm going to go out on a limb and bet that within the next couple of years, we'll see a mainstream fashion revival of the belted-back suit jacket. After all, single-breasted suits with peak lapels are popping up in the department stores: an '05 revival of a '70s revival of a '20s-'30s style. It's only a short (and logical) stroll from that to the belted-back.

Hence the question: will the next belted-back revival imitate the '70s, or will it channel the '30s directly? My guess: it will be a compromise. Not as tacky as the '70s, but not as elegant as the '30s, either.

Bets are being taken. What'll you wager?

-- Marc

Lauren

Distinguished Service Award
Agreed, Marc. I think that most men are tiring of the t shirt and jeans look, hence the "metrosexual" title to men that just want to dress nicely. I also predict the revival of the belted back suit, in a 30's snug fitting cut but with 70's fabrics. Darn.

Mycroft

One Too Many
Lauren Henline said:
Agreed, Marc. I think that most men are tiring of the t shirt and jeans look, hence the "metrosexual" title to men that just want to dress nicely. I also predict the revival of the belted back suit, in a 30's snug fitting cut but with 70's fabrics. Darn.

Bring it on, we will be the best dressed in town and ahead of the curve.

Lauren, may I poke through your memory? Did you buy a '30s white linen day suit from Ben McGinty back in 1995? I seem to remember that the buyer was a slim young blonde who looked a lot like you. You see, I found the suit in a south central L.A. thrift store and sold it through Ben. That piece was beautiful!

-- Marc

Lauren

Distinguished Service Award
Ooh! I wish! I just bought my first 30's linen suit from Ebay this week. Good find! Does he sell at the vintage expo?

Veronica Parra said:
Lauren, may I poke through your memory? Did you buy a '30s white linen day suit from Ben McGinty back in 1995? I seem to remember that the buyer was a slim young blonde who looked a lot like you. You see, I found the suit in a south central L.A. thrift store and sold it through Ben. That piece was beautiful!

-- Marc

Daniel Riser

A-List Customer
Ok I was a bit off then. I was thinking of someone who helps run the Vintage Expos. When Lauren and I sold there in February, we were told by Art to talk to Ben because he believes in the expo, but hey... there's room for two Bens in this hobby... maybe three... but I think four is pushing it :rolleyes:

And five is right out! :kick: (Monty Python reference)

MudInYerEye

Practically Family
I know a tailor who not only CAN make that but DOES make that. And How!
His name is Michele Savoia, quite a character. Swing-revival dinosaur. He is here in the city and has been tailoring 30's and 40's style duds for about 25 years, with vintage and high-grade current fabrics. His beltbacks suits have to be seen to be believed.
I have several pairs of pants and shirts he made for me ten or eleven years ago that I wear very sparingly because they are almost "too nice" if you know what I mean (I hate getting compliments and these clothes attract too many).

flat-top

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Hey Mud,
Is Savoia's shop still open? I remember peering through the window years ago, always afraid to go in. I think I'm a little braver now!
flat-top

MudInYerEye

Practically Family
No, Savoia closed the 7th Street up a couple of years ago and opened up in Grand Central Station (good move for him as his best-paying clients are businessmen who are invariably commuters). I'll dig up his latest contact info and post it immediately following, might take me a day or two.
This guy is a real character. He drinks champagne in the afternoon, sports a tattoo of Mighty Joe Young on his right forearm, walks his pet African Serval cat (somewhere between a lynx and a leopard) on a leash, and generally wears a bejeweled turban with his tuxedo.
And as you might expect. he ain't cheap. But it's worth it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truthhurts21