Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Calling Barranca . . . Calling Barranca . . .

up196

A-List Customer
Anybody catch ONLY ANGELS HAVE WINGS on Turner Classic Moves? It just went off.

Directed by Howard Hawkes in 1939 with Cary Grant, Jean Arthur, Rita Hayworth (as "Judy") and Noah Beery, Jr. The plot revolves around Barranca Airlines in South America, flying mail and nitroglycerine through a foggy mountain pass in Hamilton Metalplanes (there'e an obscure one!).

Full of fedoras and leather flight jackets; Gary Grant wears what looks like an A-1 with faded Indian Head logos from the Lafayette Escadrille!

In the end, they try out their "new" Tri-Motor airplane for the run.

"Thrilling As Love Born Amid A Thousand Fabulous Adventures!"

"Romance as glorious as the towering Andes!"

"Each Day a Rendezvous With Peril...
Each Night a Meeting With Romance!"

Jake

One of the Regulars
Only Angles Have Wings

I just ordered this from Amazon, looking forward to viewing it. I remember the calling barranca line from Warner Bros. cartoons. This film was most of the inspiration for the "Tales of the Gold Monkey" T.V. show.

Fu Manchu

One of the Regulars
Not My Favorite Cary Grant Flick...

...but it's still fun.

I really like Cary Grant's gi-normously brimmed panama hat in the first scene we see him.

The plot denoument is interesting, too. An acquaintance of mine was a bird-spotter for the Israeli airforce - those vultures are dangerous beasts indeed.

Fu Manchu

Jake

One of the Regulars
I just finished watching it. I really enjoyed it, looks like it definately had some influence on "Tales of the Gold Monkey" I also noticed some possible influence for the "Indy costume".....Jake

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
green_entrails