Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Calling Cards (name cards, not phone cards)

Big Man

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Does anyone here use calling/visiting cards? Not business cards, but those cards with only your name. I ordered some a while back and have been enclosing them with Christmas or birthday gifts with a short note on the back. Also, I use them like a business card, but for personal (non-business) situations where I need to give someone my phone number of e-mail address, etc.

Anthony Jordan

Practically Family
Big Man said:
Does anyone here use calling/visiting cards? Not business cards, but those cards with only your name. I ordered some a while back and have been enclosing them with Christmas or birthday gifts with a short note on the back. Also, I use them like a business card, but for personal (non-business) situations where I need to give someone my phone number of e-mail address, etc.

I do a certain amount of selling on eBay, Amazon etc. (collector rather than trader) and find them useful to enclose with items. Unfortunately they are too big to fit in my silver evening card case so I don't tend to carry them.

Josephine

One Too Many
I had (and plant to get more) of what they call Mommy Cards. My and my husband's names, our kids' names, our address, and home, cell, etc numbers. I like the idea of just my name, but then I would always be writing my address and phone numbers and kid's name on them when I give them out to other families. [huh]

K

kpreed

For many years I was in the printing trade. I have done many a card like that when I find artwork I really like. most are long gone, but I do have a bunch from my last card left. (I guess I do not get out as much now)

ShoreRoadLady

Practically Family
As I'll be graduating soon and hunting for a job, I plan on getting some cards from an online place like VistaPrint. I can put my name and contact info there, and showcase my design skills at the same time. :)

Because pulling out a lime green index card to write your name on isn't terribly professional. Not that I've done such a thing, no, not I...:rolleyes:

Bourbon Guy

A-List Customer
When I graduated high school everyone received a pack of calling cards (name only) in the graduation packet along with their diploma. A throw back to when one left his card when visiting and the person was not at home. Now that I am older, business cards have taken their place.

You should definitely have cards to present with contact information. If budget allows, order engraved. If you are in an apartment that may change, just use your cell phone number, which will not. Good luck to you.

Personal Cards

I carry a personal card, with name on the front and personal number on the back. I carry these in addition to my business cards from the store. I also have cards for law school that I include with proper correspondences.

I find the personal card really useful, and use it more than I thought I would. And I still do leave a card when I drop by. A more functional discovery is at a bar or music venue, when announcing which tab (or closing it out), handing the card is easier than shouting. [huh]

Big Man

CharlestonBows said:
I ... A more functional discovery is at a bar or music venue, when announcing which tab (or closing it out), handing the card is easier than shouting. [huh]

Never thought of that. That sounds like a very good idea.

Miss_Bella_Hell

Two thoughts about calling cards. When I receive one, I think the following:

1) Hey, pretty classy.
2) I wonder if he's unemployed? Why didn't he just use his business card?

For better or worse. lol

Mike in Seattle

I've got my regular business cards with that number and email and logo, and like above, I've also got cards with just name, home number and personal email for handing out. The latter's come in handy when I special order something, or something I need is out of stock. "Here - contact me when it comes in" instead of having to write it down, or have to repeat it a dozen times. "Now make sure that's an O, no, that's a zero..." I've got the business in one side of the case, personal in the other and they're different color.

You can get the blank forms at any office supply (Avery's got a big selection) and you can run off a sheet (10) or more anytime you want. A lot easier than having them printed, and having a big supply of them possibly go to waste if you get a new number, email, address.

Mojave Jack

One Too Many
I tried the kind of cards you print off, but even when printed on a decent laser printer I've found that they smear terribly when I have carried them in my wallet for any length of time. That's really embarrassing to hand out, so now I have three different cards: one for work, one for school, and one for the Reserves. In all my capacities I am constantly soliciting information from people, and I find it much easier to be able to hand out a card with the right information than having one card and scribble the other numbers or e-mail addresses on the back. At $9.95/100 from Overnightprints.com, I can't justify not having a decent card for each need.

Big Man, I've been thinking about getting name cards, too, though. Where did you get yours printed (or engraved)?

Miss_Bella_Hell

CharlestonBows said:
Or maybe he's loaded, and doesn't need to work lol

- CB

That's true. That's probably a better assumption to make, if I'm going to judge, since they are really classeh.;)

Plus, I suppose the gentleman wouldn't want me to have his work contact info.

Big Man

Mojave Jack said:
... Big Man, I've been thinking about getting name cards, too, though. Where did you get yours printed (or engraved)?

There is a print shop here in town that does that kind of work.

Edward

Bartender
ShoreRoadLady said:
As I'll be graduating soon and hunting for a job, I plan on getting some cards from an online place like VistaPrint. I can put my name and contact info there, and showcase my design skills at the same time. :)

I've used VistaPrint.co.uk for a bunch of things before now. work provides my business cards, but as I prefer to keep work and home distinctly separate, I have a bunch of cards of my own. Had them run up on VistaPrint - I opted for their free cards. All you have to pay is a small amount of postage, and the cards come free. Your choice of design is limited to a range of pre-set ones, and it says "vistaprint.co.uk" on the back, but that's cool with me. :)

Mine have address, cell phone and email on them at present.... I've been considernig having some run up with emai lbeing the only contact detail.... I'm happier giving out an email address to a stranger than telephone or real world address.

D

DeaconKC

I may have to do that since my business cards have "Sex Offender Supervision Unit" on them........
A real conversation killer........:eek:

Mojave Jack

One Too Many
Edward said:
I've used VistaPrint.co.uk for a bunch of things before now. work provides my business cards, but as I prefer to keep work and home distinctly separate, I have a bunch of cards of my own. Had them run up on VistaPrint - I opted for their free cards. All you have to pay is a small amount of postage, and the cards come free. Your choice of design is limited to a range of pre-set ones, and it says "vistaprint.co.uk" on the back, but that's cool with me. :)

Mine have address, cell phone and email on them at present.... I've been considernig having some run up with emai lbeing the only contact detail.... I'm happier giving out an email address to a stranger than telephone or real world address.
That's essentially why I had to get seperate cards, too. I depend upon people getting back to me with information. That's true of my full-time job as an federal archeologist, my Reserve position as a historian, and my third job as a grad student. If I can't readily give someone the right information, I might never see the info! I have to keep it distinct, as well, since I can't represent myself as a federal employee while doing my dissertation research, or as an archeologist while I'm wearing my history hat, etc. It was much easier to have cards printed up with the university logo and my personal info than to have to scribble my personal info on the back of a business card.

I'd like the classic name cards, though, for FL events, and other purely social events when it is approriate to hand write information on a card. Not only does it beat the heck out of writing your info on a yellow sticky note, but people will also be more apt to remember you. If you're trying to make a good impression, it would seem to be a good way to do so! It will help even more if you write the information with a decent fountain pen, instead of a pen you swiped from the Holiday Inn.

Big Man

Mojave Jack said:
... I'd like the classic name cards, though, for FL events, and other purely social events when it is approriate to hand write information on a card. Not only does it beat the heck out of writing your info on a yellow sticky note, but people will also be more apt to remember you. If you're trying to make a good impression, it would seem to be a good way to do so! It will help even more if you write the information with a decent fountain pen, instead of a pen you swiped from the Holiday Inn.

This is exactly what I was thinking about cards with only your name. Writing out your phone number or e-mail or address (whichever is appropriate for the situation) makes the contact much more "personal" and more easily remembered.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
direfulzealot