Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Campaign Fedora Project: Phase One Prototype

deanglen

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Been working on this throughout winter. Took BCF budget hat, a bit too small for me, to experiment with brim width, Span-Am War crimp and thin ribbon replacemnt. Not satisfied with the result, but as soon as I get some shots of my re-bashed Open Road will post them. Would like to change out the robbon for a 5/8" grosgrain. Brim was reduced a bit too much for my taste. I do like the lines, the taper is not prominent in the side view, for those who cannot stomach any taper. Given the source of the style, taper is integral to the look. Certainly not a dress formal or metropolitan fedora, but there's plenty of those around. Work will continue.

NewImage2a-1.jpg

dean

Joel Tunnah

Practically Family
Dean, I think you should really look into getting a good condition cowboy hat from eBay, and then conducting your experiments on that. You're simply not going to get that campaign hat look with anything less than a 6" straight-sided crown. That's near impossible to find in a modern factory made fedora - but easy to find in cowboy hats.

Joel

deanglen

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Joel Tunnah said:
Dean, I think you should really look into getting a good condition cowboy hat from eBay, and then conducting your experiments on that. You're simply not going to get that campaign hat look with anything less than a 6" straight-sided crown. That's near impossible to find in a modern factory made fedora - but easy to find in cowboy hats.

Joel

Exactly, Joel. I was trying out the style with dimensions as they were on this particular hat. I posted the shots simply because I had them. They're about two months old. I have since concluded the style doesn't work without more brim and crown.

dean

Dinerman

Super Moderator
Bartender
Yeah. Those cheap old cowboy hats can really take a lot of abuse when it comes to redoing them. They way I reshape mine whenever I feel like it is by dunking the crown into a pot of boiling water (though I wouldn't suggest this on anyone's hat other than my own) . Plus, you can go with any brim width you want.

Mark G

A-List Customer
I think RBH is right. It looks right on in terms of shape, the problem is the body itself and I think the western hat idea is the best way to go. I have a Stetson that has a 5 3/4" open crown and a 3 1/2" brim. If you could find something like that, (in the right color) you'll have the right base to make your hat.:eusa_clap

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran