Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Campdraft brim

Although the brim flange does indeed begin and dictate the "cupping" , if you are edge binding, and you did not pre-shrink your ribbon, and if your closed loop was a touch on the small side; once baste stitched in place, what was minor cupping can become extream. And it becomes very obvious at the end, in the last few inches of basting. That is where I say, no, scrap this piece, let me make another. Especially if a person wants a flatter brim, with less curl. And obviously using a flange with minimum curl is a factor to start. Even relaxing the flanging with steam afterward, and before binding. But like I said, mimimul curl on a flange, and a tight closed loop basted onto it , will make that flanged brim seriously altered/cupped, if some attention isn't paid in the process; to create that look from the start, this is from a custom point of view.
Interesting. Very informative.

EstherWeis

Vendor
Although the brim flange does indeed begin and dictate the "cupping" , if you are edge binding, and you did not pre-shrink your ribbon, and if your closed loop was a touch on the small side; once baste stitched in place, what was minor cupping can become extream. And it becomes very obvious at the end, in the last few inches of basting. That is where I say, no, scrap this piece, let me make another. Especially if a person wants a flatter brim, with less curl. And obviously using a flange with minimum curl is a factor to start. Even relaxing the flanging with steam afterward, and before binding. But like I said, mimimul curl on a flange, and a tight closed loop basted onto it , will make that flanged brim seriously altered/cupped, if some attention isn't paid in the process; to create that look from the start, this is from a custom point of view.

That's how I put the exaggerated swoop in my ladies fedora's.
Like this one ;
99642902967378b0c3138dc504fe832f.jpg

I love it for a woman's hat.
I swirl my ribbon, and that takes out any shrink there might have been in it.
But yes, for a man's fedora it's an easy mistake, I agree. If I feel it's too tight I'll recut and redo it.

That's how I put the exaggerated swoop in my ladies fedora's.
Like this one ;
99642902967378b0c3138dc504fe832f.jpg

I love it for a woman's hat.
I swirl my ribbon, and that takes out any shrink there might have been in it.
But yes, for a man's fedora it's an easy mistake, I agree. If I feel it's too tight I'll recut and redo it.
I do love the color on this beautiful hat. The model ain't bad either!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HughGDePoo