Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Can a plain black tie be worn outside funeral/mafia context?

What does a black tie in a social context look like for you?

• Suave

Votes: 1 100.0%
  • Tasteless and unimaginitive

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

avedwards

Call Me a Cab
I am currently having a debate as to whether a plain black tie can be worn with a suit for social occaisions. IMO a plain black tie should only be worn for funerals or when trying to look mafia like. Worn in a social context with a white shirt I view it as tasteless, showing lack of imagination and lack of colour coordination. Opinions?

Note, I have no problem with black ties which have a pattern as they are my favourite ties. It's plain black that annoys me unless it's for funerals or trying to look mafia like which I occaisionally do.

avedwards

Call Me a Cab
My point is that this is not appropriate for social contexts:
n903410724_6215602_71089691.jpg

While this is:
n566443738_1162567_37921.jpg

Both are the same suit but the black tie makes it look like I'm going to a funeral while the grey tie is spot on for social contexts IMO.

Lokar

A-List Customer
Depends what it's worn with. If you're wearing a plain two piece black suit, no hat, no handkerchief, then I think it's pretty boring, but people can wear what they want. I've done it before when I've been in a rush and just grabbed a dark tie, and I didn't feel funereal.

With a three-piece, especially with a different coloured waistcoat, a non-black hat, or starting to throw in things like handkerchiefs, flowers, pinstripes or whatnot, I think it can work. It's not my first choice, though.

I also think black suits are fine, mind. I think people are too afraid of black in general. That and white shirts, I don't get why so many people here (that is, this area of Sweden) are so afraid of them.

Rhabryn

Familiar Face
I definitely take no issue with a plain black tie.

I think that even the the "lack of imagination" idea would fall-away when one is paired with something other than a black suit.

Even when paired with a black suit, I don't mind it one bit.

However - I, personally, have never loved the Monochromatic Black Suit, Shirt & Tie combination... but that is just a personal preference and a different topic.

I have always found the white shirt, black suit, black tie to be somewhat iconic and I find that I enjoy the sharp contrast. As with all things found here at Fedora Lounge, you have to enjoy what you are wearing if you want to look good in it. If you don't enjoy it, don't sport it :)

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
Black ties are classic.

In fact, the black silk grenadine tie is considered by some to be one of the most versatile ties that a gent could have in his wardrobe. I have them in grenadine, silk knit and cashmere; as well as a few textured silks.

Connery's Bond wore them often.

B72660~Goldfinger-Posters.jpg

donCarlos

Practically Family
I need another black tie, since I saw the original Ocean´s Eleven. I fell in love with that late 50´s style... I´d call it the power of simplicity.

2lwujax.jpg

Dan D

Familiar Face
And not forgetting 1992...

... the year that 'Reservoir Dogs' rejuvenated the black suit / tie ensemble and made suits hip again.

Edward

Bartender
As I recall, when he felt the need to spruce up the adventurung gear when dad was in tow, even Dr Jones sported a black tie....

It is an accessory that can err towards costume if one is not careful; also, if it is not carefully co-ordinated to the outfit, one can look like one has dressed for a funeral, having simply added a black tie to an outfit with which it is not harmoneous. Matched into an outfit, as any other tie might be, I think it can work well, indeed, a plain black tie might well be a nice sober touch to 'balance' a 'loud' shirt, for instance. I would certainly go for something patterned or woven, as opposed to plain black by preference for this look.

Of the photos above, I think the Rat Pack boys and Connery pull it off best.

Feraud

Bartender
As we have thoroughly noted in other threads...we wish people still wore black suits and ties to funerals. Hoodies and jeans seem to be de rigeur for a growing number of people. Such is fashion..

A black tie is neither the result of lacking color coordination, bad taste, or criminal aspirations. When done correctly it looks classic, otherwise it looks as bad in a social situation as any other fashion disaster.

Keep in mind the context of the social situation. A beautifully coordinated three piece suit is as much a faux pas at a weeend bar-be-cue get together as shorts at funeral.

Here is a silk knit Brooks Bros. and a military marked wool tie.
1245764515.jpg

avedwards

Call Me a Cab
I think Sean Connery looks fine because his suit is a fairly light grey in that film so it balances the black. A coloured shirt with a black tie works too because it gets rid of the funeral attire look. It's the dark suit, white shirt and black tie which I don't like unless worn for the purpose I did (trying to look like a criminal).

So basically I don't mind if the outfit has some sort of colour in it coming from either the suit or the shirt, but if it's just a black and white outfit I think it looks tasteless.

BruceTracy

One of the Regulars
Tomasso said:
In fact, the black silk grenadine tie is considered by some to be one of the most versatile ties that a gent could have in his wardrobe. I have them in grenadine, silk knit and cashmere; as well as a few textured silks.

Connery's Bond wore them often.

B72660~Goldfinger-Posters.jpg
I watched Goldfinger recently and I believe that the solid knit ties Connery wears with the famous grey 3-piece as well as with a navy 2-piece in the Q Branch scene, while they may appear black at first glance, are actually navy.

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
BruceTracy said:
I watched Goldfinger recently and I believe that the solid knit ties Connery wears with the famous grey 3-piece as well as with a navy 2-piece in the Q Branch scene, while they may appear black at first glance, are actually navy.
The tie looks black to my eye.[huh] In any event, Bond was known to wear black silk knit ties, both in print and in the cinema.

"The girl looked him up and down. He had dark, rather cruel good looks and very clear, blue-grey eyes. He was wearing a very dark-blue lightweight single-breasted suit over a cream silk shirt and a black knitted silk tie. Despite the heat, he looked cool and clean. 'And who might you be?' she asked sharply. 'My name's Bond, James Bond ...'" Thunderball.

Gf_638.jpg

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
BruceTracy said:
The tie looks black to my eye.[huh] In any event, Bond was known to wear black silk knit ties, both in print and in the cinema. The subject has come up on the various Bond sites and forums. Not to say that he didn't wear blue ties as well.

"The girl looked him up and down. He had dark, rather cruel good looks and very clear, blue-grey eyes. He was wearing a very dark-blue lightweight single-breasted suit over a cream silk shirt and a black knitted silk tie. Despite the heat, he looked cool and clean. 'And who might you be?' she asked sharply. 'My name's Bond, James Bond ...'" Thunderball.

Gf_638.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran