• Welcome to The Fedora Lounge!

Can Anyone Tell Me an AGE/Model of this Vintage AKURA Superfine

Discussion in 'Hats' started by Rick Blaine, Jun 9, 2011.

1. Rick Blaine

Rick Blaine My Mail is Forwarded Here

I had heard tell of "superfine" designation. It is somewhere between Imperial & Heritage.

The model looks like a Campdraft but wrong ribbon/bow, like a Bushman, but no vents, nice deep green... I can't wait. I haven't seen the crown label before, either, seller claims mid 8o's on age.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Duper

Duper Practically Family

I believe the Squatter sold out of Australia still comes in the superfine felt. I think that may be what you are looking at.

3. Rick Blaine

Maybe but a far narrower ribbon & bow makes me wonder.

4. I don't know the Akubra line at all, but the helvetica font calls out seventies or eighties to me (and locks it in as later than 1957!)

5. Impressive font recognition there, Alan! How many can you identify at a glance?

7. Doesn't take a maven to recognize Helvetica... but I do use these things in my day job. Interesting film, if you enjoy this type of thing.

8. Yeps

Yeps Call Me a Cab

I have no idea what that model is, but I want one. I love the proportions and that ribbon.

9. Harry Gooch

Harry Gooch One of the Regulars

... "this type of thing." Punny.

Harry.

10. Harry Gooch

Harry Gooch One of the Regulars

Looks similar to the Squatter that Hats Direct sells. I think they still have one colour available. Check with Jenny.

Harry.

11. thank you for noticing.

12. Duper

Duper Practically Family

EA has Squatters in superfine. DM sells squatters but I believe they are not the same felt.

13. Took a look at the current Akubra offerings from Oz and it looks to be possibly any one of 4 possible models with a typical Aussie favored Telescope crease:

Campdraft
    [​IMG]

Pastoralist
    [​IMG]

Flinders
    [​IMG]

Squatter
    [​IMG]

from the crown sticker it has I would say that it is from the 70's as that was the same style of logo that was in my Bushman's liner when I bought my first one 32 years ago.

14. Rick Blaine

Thanks for the info, Tex, much obliged.

15. Yeps

Yeps Call Me a Cab

I actually have the Squatter in willow green (great hat) but I love the ribbon on this. I will have to keep an eye out for a vintage western of this shape.