Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Can I 2-tone my hair myself?

Naama

Practically Family
Hey!

So, I'Ve been looking the same for over 2 years by now, and I'm pretty sick of the Gwen Stefani or Marilyn Monroe or even worse, Christina Aguilerra :)rage: ) comments and I think it's time for a change now.... I don't want too much change though ^^ So I thougt about getting some black streaks or something. But I'm not sure, if you use "do it at home" products, usally, the colour comes out while washing after one week sometimes and I'm afraid, could it be possible that the colour could stain my bleached hair?

epr25

Practically Family
Black is black so you're committed especially with bleached hair. I would be careful. I would like to not be black any more but without spending hundreds I was told this is not possible.

KittyT

I'll Lock Up
I wouldn't do it yourself, especially if you do streaks. This really is going to require a foil technique to keep the black separate from the blond while it's processing.

From experience, I can tell you that the black will most likely run the first few times you wash it. The best way to deal with this is to separate the black from the blond, put conditioner in the blond portion of your hair (this will keep black dyes that are washing out from depositing into the blond, which can make the blond look dull and grey), shampoo and rinse the black, and then shampoo the blond separately.

Johanna

One of the Regulars
epr25 said:
Black is black so you're committed especially with bleached hair. I would be careful. I would like to not be black any more but without spending hundreds I was told this is not possible.

I've gone to blonde from black several times cheaply so it's definitely possible. If you want it super pale right away it takes a lot of bleachings though, which of course damages your hair, so going platinum from black instantly might not be for everyone.

Johanna said:
I've gone to blonde from black several times cheaply so it's definitely possible. If you want it super pale right away it takes a lot of bleachings though, which of course damages your hair, so going platinum from black instantly might not be for everyone.

How do you go from black to blonde? Just bleach it lots? mine goes ginger & I always bleach it black again, but i'm bored!

Back on topic, I have done many many hair dyes myself & with practice it gets super easy. My pink & blue stripes were my favourite :D I think it's easy to 2 tone it yourself yus. Make sure you know exactly what you want to do with it before you put the dye on though!!!

KittyT

I'll Lock Up
dollydaydream said:
How do you go from black to blonde? Just bleach it lots? mine goes ginger & I always bleach it black again, but i'm bored!

You have to bleach it many times and use toner to help neutralize the orange/yellow tints.

pigeon toe

One Too Many
KittyT said:
I wouldn't do it yourself, especially if you do streaks. This really is going to require a foil technique to keep the black separate from the blond while it's processing.

From experience, I can tell you that the black will most likely run the first few times you wash it. The best way to deal with this is to separate the black from the blond, put conditioner in the blond portion of your hair (this will keep black dyes that are washing out from depositing into the blond, which can make the blond look dull and grey), shampoo and rinse the black, and then shampoo the blond separately.

Would you have to use the same technique with permanently dyed black hair with bright semi-perm green streaks? That's what I want to do this summer, but I've been worried about bleeding too.

KittyT

I'll Lock Up
pigeon toe said:
Would you have to use the same technique with permanently dyed black hair with bright semi-perm green streaks? That's what I want to do this summer, but I've been worried about bleeding too.

I would separate out any lighter colors and put conditioner in them, then wash the black separately. Some blacks don't run (I use Miss Clairol from Sally's and it doesn't run at all) and some do. Best bet is to try this the first time you wash it. If it doesn't run, you're all set, if it does, just keep doing it until the black stops running when you wash it. If the black's not running it won't be a problem!

Lady Day

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
I put a bright crayon red streak in the front of my hair and maintained it for about two years. I had to bleach the hair every now and then, but the red was high maintenance to keep the color bright, so I was re-dying that patch of hair every couple of weeks. It looked cool tho!

All done with home products. I think you can, but Id shop around and see how much a pro job would run you.

LD

Naama

Practically Family
Hmm.... okay, no easy decision... I don't know, I usually prefer to do those things on my own, not only becuse of the money, but I just don't really trust most hairdresser.....

Naama

xitsvivx

Familiar Face
if you're going to be putting black, or even brown color into an already bleach blonde hair I'd suggest to do it professionally. If you try doing it yourself w/home dyes you'll most likely get black bleeding into the blonde and making the blonde look grey, and wherever you put the black.. will either not be as dark as you want or will probably fade pretty fast... mostly bcuz after bleaching hair blonde, the hair lacks the "underlying pigments" it naturally has and when you go darker, you need to put back the pigment in order for color to stay. underlying pigment would be (say you're going from black to blonde and you bleach) you see the stages of brown, red, orange, gold, yellow.. blonde hair lacks all of that.

whatever you plan on doing, good luck =)

I use a dye that doesn't run, helpful that I can't remember the name of it. Oh, Poly Colour Tint. Hehe old lady dye lol

I've had the slices done too, myself, I had a bright pink streak in my fringe for a long long time, I had to top up the pink about every week or so because I wash my hair every day.

I also use extensions. They're probably the easiest & most versatile option. I make my own by buying the hair (be it a colour or just plain black) & some of the gate clips, cut the hair along the weft to fit the section of hair you want it in, sew the gate clips in at either end & there you have your clip in. Take them out before bed & was them in cool water & mild shampoo once or twice a week depending on the condition and you can change your hair every day!! Mine last ages if they're looked after properly, and a bag of the hair can last ages if you're only doing smallish sections :D

And it's cheaper than salons & you don't have the worry of messing up your hair.

Yay extensions!!!

D

Deleted member 3716

be careful with going from black to blonde ladies!

about 4 years ago i decided i wanted my black hair platinum blonde. ( i had been dyeing it black for about 6 years,maybe more).
we bleached it 5/6 times in one day and it all fell off.
this was done in a salon as well by a girl i was training with (i had a brief period as a hairdresser).
the final result was me with 1 inch of hair all over, dyed a kind of pinkish/orange colour.
NOT what i was going for....

kamikat

Call Me a Cab
paula said:
be careful with going from black to blonde ladies!

about 4 years ago i decided i wanted my black hair platinum blonde. ( i had been dyeing it black for about 6 years,maybe more).
we bleached it 5/6 times in one day and it all fell off.
this was done in a salon as well by a girl i was training with (i had a brief period as a hairdresser).
the final result was me with 1 inch of hair all over, dyed a kind of pinkish/orange colour.
NOT what i was going for....

I'm gonna agree with this warning. I am a hairdresser and it doesn't matter how well trained the stylist is. Back when I was in cosmetology school, I sidelined as a hairshow color model. The stylists that did my color were the top in the field, usually educators for the various companies I worked for. At one point, my hair was dyed black with purpled streaks. They tried to get it blond and it broke off. There is a point where the hair just can't take any more damage. Any time you are bleached colored hair, it's going to take more and stronger chemicals to lighten it. Some people's hair is naturally stronger than others. A well trained stylist would be able to tell you if she thought your hair could take the damage, but there's no real way of knowing until the damage is done.

pigeon toe

One Too Many
I heard that you're not supposed to bleach the hair more than 2x in one day. And you should wait a week between bleachings and do protein treatments in the meantime.

I haven't dyed my hair straight black in awhile, I've been going slightly lighter and lighter brown, so I'm hoping that this will help when I bleach parts of it in a few months.

I've also heard good things about a product (maybe by Revlon) called Color Oops. It basically brings your hair back to its natural color, but isn't as damaging or harsh as stripping. I got this from a dyed hair community on LJ where people change their hair color every week, so I tend to trust them!

Johanna

One of the Regulars
dollydaydream said:

Back on topic, I have done many many hair dyes myself & with practice it gets super easy. My pink & blue stripes were my favourite :D I think it's easy to 2 tone it yourself yus. Make sure you know exactly what you want to do with it before you put the dye on though!!!

Yes just lots of bleaching, and then you might need some white toner to get the yellow out, if you don't want the yellow.

Edit: And now I see KittyT already said that :p

Johanna

One of the Regulars
pigeon toe said:

I've had permanent black dye with semi permanent green parts and it didn't run as far as I noticed, but I guess it could be different with different dyes.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy