Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Can smoking be good for you?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Marla said:
George Burns smoked cigars his whole life and lived to be one hundred. [huh]

True and they were the cheap and nasty ones too. Milton Burle always used to say that he kept smoking those lousy Queens even after he would give him a box of much better and more expensive cigars. lol lol lol Burle smoked cigars for many a decade as well.
However, we need to acknowledge what scientists have been telling us for quite a while now. They are some genetically gifted people whose lungs have the ability to not get clogged with tar and such even from cigarette smoking. There are two in ten people who have this ability supposedly. Unless you are specifically tested, you are certainly taking a shot in the dark if you smoke cigarettes like a fiend as they used to say. ;)

handlebar bart

Call Me a Cab
StetsonHomburg said:
I haven't read all of this and I am not sure if it has been said yet but
is cigar tobacco the worst for you, or could you tell me some information
on Cigars and the pros/cons? (I'm not a smoker and I have allways liked
the look of a cigar so I thought this might be a good place to ask... :))

Oh and Winston Churchill smoked around 10 cigars a day and drank alot
of hard liquor, but lived 'til he was 93 I believe...

If you are young and haven't started you would be smart to not start.:)

Chainsaw

Suspended
Back on my horse!

New job, non union, but union pay.

Looks like I'm smoking Cadillacs again!

I'll try not to inhale....

PrettySquareGal

I'll Lock Up
Chainsaw said:
Possibly my mental endurance has been affected negatively.

How is that? Maybe during the first month or two, yes...

I quit over ten years ago. I started when I was 13. I am 42.

Quitting smoking toughened me up. Willpower is a muscle that needs exercising. The more you use it, the stronger it gets.

My teeth are no longer yellow, I don't smell like smoke, I don't cough or get winded going up stairs, I don't run like a little girl to have a smoke if something is too stressful for me, I don't spend, what is it now, $7 a day for a pack (that's over $2,500 a year), I won't have medical bills related to smoker's ailments, I don't feel guilty, I am not a slave to nicotine.

What is the point of a free country if you are giving away your power to something known to kill you over time? You have the freedom to smoke, go for it, just be honest with yourself that it's not possible to not become addicted to nicotine and that any "benefits" are slim compared to the documented risks.

Maj.Nick Danger

I'll Lock Up
PrettySquareGal said:
How is that? Maybe during the first month or two, yes...

I quit over ten years ago. I started when I was 13. I am 42.

Quitting smoking toughened me up. Willpower is a muscle that needs exercising. The more you use it, the stronger it gets.

My teeth are no longer yellow, I don't smell like smoke, I don't cough or get winded going up stairs, I don't run like a little girl to have a smoke if something is too stressful for me, I don't spend, what is it now, $7 a day for a pack (that's over $2,500 a year), I won't have medical bills related to smoker's ailments, I don't feel guilty, I am not a slave to nicotine.

What is the point of a free country if you are giving away your power to something known to kill you over time? You have the freedom to smoke, go for it, just be honest with yourself that it's not possible to not become addicted to nicotine and that any "benefits" are slim compared to the documented risks.
Yeah, I quit about 13 years ago after smoking for over 20 years! Best thing I ever did for myself. I began to realize the effects that smoking was having upon my parents' generation. Every last one of my aunts and uncles as well as my father, died from tobacco and alcohol induced ailments. So I broke the cycle. Difficult to do as I grew up watching all the adults except for my mom smoking and drinking continuously.:eek:

Chainsaw

Suspended
It might be a free country, but even breathing can kill you nowadays. If we look at an extreme, let's say downtown Egypt, just walking down the streets is the equivalent of smoking two packs a day! But I digress.

It's funny, even though smokers are supposed to be more susceptible to colds and flus, generally I never see them taking a day off. It's the non smokers that seem really soft, and can't hack it. They drop like flies during the flu season, and the smokers just keep working on through. Isn't it ironic?

MisterCairo

I'll Lock Up
Chainsaw said:
It might be a free country, but even breathing can kill you nowadays. If we look at an extreme, let's say downtown Egypt, just walking down the streets is the equivalent of smoking two packs a day! But I digress.

It's funny, even though smokers are supposed to be more susceptible to colds and flus, generally I never see them taking a day off. It's the non smokers that seem really soft, and can't hack it. They drop like flies during the flu season, and the smokers just keep working on through. Isn't it ironic?

Can you provide clinical evidence for this, or just your anecdotal observations?

Any medical info I've seen suggests smokers are far more ill and more often than non-smokers. Any doctor I've met says don't start, and if you have, quit. Yet to find one that says "Tobacco? Absolutely!"

From the first page of a google search on smoking related illness (UK data):

http://www.ash.org.uk/files/documents/ASH_107.pdf

PrettySquareGal

I'll Lock Up
Chainsaw said:

America (and Canada, too) IS a free country. Breathing in downtown Egypt can kill you, so smoke in America (or Canada or wherever) now? Weird. But yes, we all die one day. So choose your destiny by smoking if you like.

Where is your empirical data for your last claim?

Chainsaw

Suspended
No empirical data, this isn't the science or Scientology thread. And alive doesn't mean healthy. Just as "smoker" doesn't mean unhealthy.

Look at European society, everyone smokes like chimneys over there, and for the most part, they're much healthier than our free country. Oh, wait they're free as well, how silly of me.

PrettySquareGal

I'll Lock Up
Chainsaw said:
No empirical data, this isn't the science or Scientology thread.

My mistake. I thought you wanted scientific data that supports that smoking can be good for you. All I have is evidence to the contrary. The Scientology thread, didn't know we had one here. It is vintage, now that I think about it! Anyway, I wish you good health.

KittyT

I'll Lock Up
Chainsaw said:
Look at European society, everyone smokes like chimneys over there, and for the most part, they're much healthier than our free country. Oh, wait they're free as well, how silly of me.

First of all, not "everyone smokes like chimneys". The statistics I've seen show that roughly 30-35% of French smoke, while roughly 25% of Americans smoke (with the number dropping). You are correct that it's significantly more, but it's certainly not everyone, and while many there do smoke, the tobacco available there is not laden with the chemicals and carcinogens that American cigarettes contain. My personal belief (not based on science at all) is that the problems we have here are not caused by tobacco per se, but by what we put IN our tobacco.

The "French Paradox" (as it's called) is also likely because of a whole host of other habits they have that are healthier than those shared by most americans - eating their largest meal in the middle of the day, eating smaller portions and eating more mindfully (even if much of the food is fatty, depending on the country and region), moderate consumption of red wine, eating more fish, much lower rates of consumption of junk and processed foods, more active lifestyles, reduced stress because of shorter work weeks and longer vacations... and the list goes on. There's a lot more to consider in this picture than tobacco consumption alone.

Chainsaw

Suspended
KittyT said:
First of all, not "everyone smokes like chimneys". The statistics I've seen show that roughly 30-35% of French smoke, while roughly 25% of Americans smoke (with the number dropping). You are correct that it's significantly more, but it's certainly not everyone, and while many there do smoke, the tobacco available there is not laden with the chemicals and carcinogens that American cigarettes contain. My personal belief (not based on science at all) is that the problems we have here are not caused by tobacco per se, but by what we put IN our tobacco.

The "French Paradox" (as it's called) is also likely because of a whole host of other habits they have that are healthier than those shared by most americans - eating their largest meal in the middle of the day, eating smaller portions and eating more mindfully (even if much of the food is fatty, depending on the country and region), moderate consumption of red wine, eating more fish, much lower rates of consumption of junk and processed foods, more active lifestyles, reduced stress because of shorter work weeks and longer vacations...

and the list goes on. There's a lot more to consider in this picture than tobacco
consumption alone.

Perhaps all were doing is destroying the enjoyment of our vices, our food and our lives. Having to discuss the production and ingredients of our tobacco products, really ruins it. But I guess by the same token, there is that self righteous part within us that try's to destroy our dinners or lunches by talking about cancer, or heart risk, and weight.

It's interesting, but were actually shortening our lives by "asking" for medical reports every time we discuss our favourite foods and, oh yeah! Cigarettes. Stress is just as dangerous as cigarettes in causing death.

And I just though we were raised with better manners, than having to destroy other peoples enjoyment. Remember, the next time you eat ice creme, your gonna die of a heart attack!

1961MJS

My Mail is Forwarded Here
KittyT said:
...My personal belief (not based on science at all) is that the problems we have here are not caused by tobacco per se, but by what we put IN our tobacco....

Hi, I ASSUMED that Europe bought most of their tobacco from the US, where we stuff additives in it. Where DOES yours come from?

Later

Chainsaw

Suspended
Ha,ha..yeah, sounds like a food fight JW(eh, we got the same initials).

And MJS you know what they say about making assumptions. I had also assumed that most of the American tobacco came from Lebanon, or some place with a funny name, but I'm probably making an a@@ out of myself for saying something so stupid.

Most of our tabacco comes from the tabacco fields a couple hours from here. It's grown by farmers, all of which Canadian and European.

As for where she get's her Tobacco with the additives, you should ask her. I don't believe she smokes though.

maybe that's a smart ass-umption

1961MJS

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Chainsaw said:
And MJS you know what they say about making assumptions. I had also assumed that most of the American tobacco came from Lebanon, or some place with a funny name, but I'm probably making an a@@ out of myself for saying something so stupid.

Hi Chainsaw, that would be why ASSUMED was in all caps. I know our tobacco comes from Kentucky, Tennessee, and Virginia. My great-grandfather's farm had a tobacco barn. I was guessing that European tobacco came from the US, but if none of it has additives, then it ain't ours.

Later

KittyT

I'll Lock Up
1961MJS said:
Hi, I ASSUMED that Europe bought most of their tobacco from the US, where we stuff additives in it. Where DOES yours come from?

Here is an example: all 50 US states have passed legislation requiring a "fire-safe" additive - to prevent people falling asleep and burning their houses down. If you drive 4 hours north of here to Quebec, you can buy Camels that not only do not have this additive, but also taste dramatically better. European cigarettes are also not fire-safe, although the EU has passed legislation to require all cigs sold in the EU to be firesafe by 2011.

Obviously, I do not know the inner workings of the tobacco industry or the production of tobacco, but that is one example of a difference between cigarettes produced for consumption in the US and those that are exported.

The famous French Gauloises cigarettes are made with tobacco from Syria and Turkey.

Chainsaw said:
As for where she get's her Tobacco with the additives, you should ask her. I don't believe she smokes though.

Yes, Chainsaw, I smoked for nearly 20 years.

Chainsaw

Suspended
The Native cigarettes are supposed to be additive free etc. But they're some of the harshest smokes I've ever had. You can feel the cancer developing with every drag! They make decently cheap cigarillos though.

Puzzicato

One Too Many
Chainsaw said:

You should come to my office in the winter - we're about half/half smokers and non smokers, but the smokers have substantially more sick days. Mind you, that could be because they are smoking outdoors in the rain every day, getting chilled and opening themselves up to infection.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy