Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Can someone authenticate this suit for me?

cgab1

One of the Regulars
Hello to all,

This suit is supposedly dated from the 1940s. Can one of you experts please verify?

Thanks,

Chuck

PinstripeSuit.jpg

tag.jpg

pinstripesuitpants.jpg

Marc Chevalier

Gone Home
It depends, Chuck.

If this suit is a size 40R or larger, in great condition, and for sale at a good price, then it's ABSOLUTELY, POSITIVELY FROM THE 1970s AND MADE OF NASTY ACRYLIC KNIT FABRIC. DO NOT BUY AT ALL COSTS!

On the other hand ... if it's under a size 40R, then it is ABSOLUTELY, POSITIVELY FROM THE 1940s AND SHOULD BE BOUGHT BY YOU.

(Just pulling your leg. It is indeed a late '30s or early '40s suit. Looks great!)

cgab1

One of the Regulars
Thanks, Mark. It's a size 44. Is $348.00 considered a good price?

Chuck

Marc Chevalier said:
It depends, Chuck.

If this suit is a size 40R or larger, in great condition, and for sale at a good price, then it's ABSOLUTELY, POSITIVELY FROM THE 1970s AND MADE OF NASTY ACRYLIC KNIT FABRIC. DO NOT BUY AT ALL COSTS!

On the other hand ... if it's under a size 40R, then it is ABSOLUTELY, POSITIVELY FROM THE 1940s AND SHOULD BE BOUGHT BY YOU.

(Just pulling your leg. It is indeed a late '30s or early '40s suit. Looks great!)

Marc Chevalier

Gone Home
cgab1 said:
Thanks, Mark. It's a size 44. Is $348.00 considered a good price?

For that size (and assuming that it's in great condition), it's a very fair price. On eBay, it would probably go for more ... maybe even in the $400 range. Foreman & Clark was a good maker; navy blue chalkstripe is popular in the vintage menswear market; and its fairly large size is VERY difficult to find. If you have the cash, go for it!

Marc Chevalier said:
It depends, Chuck.

Actually, there is more truth to that than fiction. The word puny comes to mind as well as the Charles Atlas 98 pound weakling ads. :p

Dagwood

Practically Family
In some Foreman & Clark suits, the "F" and the "C" in the label are in lower case. Is there a reason why? Would that help date the suit?

Also, found this April 18, 1997 article from the Minneapolis/St. Paul Business Journal about Foreman & Clark. The opening paragraphs:

"On the first of this year, Scott Foreman, 38, succeeded his uncle, John Foreman, as one in a line of male ancestors to become president of Foreman & Clark, a St. Paul-based men's clothier since 1909. Now, the company -- having shed an oblique partner's name -- has emerged as Foreman's, in a daring strategy to reposition the dusty, pin-striped brand to suit the clothing culture of a new millennium.

"Talk about rattling family skeletons."

cgab1

One of the Regulars
I purchased this suit today. Can anyone suggest a shirt and tie to go with it, and perhaps some vintage shoes? I definitely don't like the tie in the photo.

Thanks,

Chuck

PinstripeSuit.jpg

cookie

I'll Lock Up
jamespowers said:
Actually, there is more truth to that than fiction. The word puny comes to mind as well as the Charles Atlas 98 pound weakling ads. :p

Everyone in the Depression was underfed or alternatively we are all overfed!

cookie said:
Everyone in the Depression was underfed or alternatively we are all overfed!

lol lol lol I'd like to think they were underfed. ;)
Conversely, studies have shown that the Vikings were actually quite a bit taller and bigger in general than the average person in the US today. They averaged 6'3". :eek: Must have been all those stolen goods that kept them well nourished---not to mention weaklings and smaller men at that time would likely never find a mate. But I digress.....:eek:fftopic: ;)

Regards,

J

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy