Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Can you over condition your hair?

desi_de_lu_lu

Practically Family
I need hair advice. Professional, anecdotal or otherwise.

Can you over condition your hair? Is this even possible? I was told yes. But why? How?

I use coconut oil and wash my hair gently...but I was told coconut oil was a NO-No. (and that I would over-condition my hair and leave it burnt?)

I have been googling and getting conflicting returns. All I see is scads of extremely long-haired Edwardian women with lovely healthy locks.

If any cosmetologists out there have any advice or any long-haired gurus have any thoughts.. I would love to hear from you.

Desi

BakingInPearls

One of the Regulars
I don't think it is a problem if you don't over do it. If you are using this method every time you are probably going to get a load of build up on your hair giving it that burnt look. You can keep doing what you are doing but every now and then throw in a clarifying shampoo with either vinegar or baking soda that way you aren't getting the build up that causes what they are saying is that burnt look.

freebird

Practically Family
I don't recall over-conditioning being mentioned in Beauty College. IMHO once a week would be sufficient for conditoning. If you don't find the answer here, I will ask the instructor (I'm long out of school, but still talk to them on occasion) and find out what she has to say.

christa

New in Town
Desi...I've never heard that coconut oil can burn your hair...I'm not even sure how that would be possible. Unless you light a match after you applied it of course ;)

Everything is good in moderation though, but if you use coconut oil as a pre-wash conditioner, it shouldn't do any harm.
If you haven't used it before I suggest that you do a little test to see that your scalp approve too :D

C.

K.D. Lightner

Call Me a Cab
I don't know about coconut oil, but some of us have hair that we can only occasionally put conditioner on.

I have baby-fine hair, it is a little less so now that the gray is coming in, but I have never been able to use conditioner -- it causes my hair to be limp and dark and even have a gunky, heavy feeling, as if I hadn't washed it in a week.

My best friend in San Diego has full-bodied, wavey thick hair and she uses a conditioner every day to tame it.

Guess it depends a lot on what kind of hair you have.

karol

desi_de_lu_lu

Practically Family
christa said:
Desi...I've never heard that coconut oil can burn your hair...I'm not even sure how that would be possible. Unless you light a match after you applied it of course ;)

Everything is good in moderation though, but if you use coconut oil as a pre-wash conditioner, it shouldn't do any harm.
If you haven't used it before I suggest that you do a little test to see that your scalp approve too :D

C.

Haha.. I would never light a match to my hair.

My hair is very thick and a bit below waist length. I have been using coconut oil since I was a baby, it was customary where I grew up. THat is why I found it so odd that a hairstylist would tell me that coconut oil would overcondition the hair and make it dry.

I had never heard that before. I have heard of using too much protein in the hair ..but not oil.

I am curious as what the other professionals have to say.

magnolia76

One of the Regulars
Coconut oil is awesome for your hair. You can't over condition your hair, you can break your hair if you use too much protein or keratin in your hair. Usually protein sprays are used by themselves, but certain lines have shampoos and conditioners with protein in them.

magnolia76

One of the Regulars
K.D. Lightner said:
I have baby-fine hair, it is a little less so now that the gray is coming in, but I have never been able to use conditioner -- it causes my hair to be limp and dark and even have a gunky, heavy feeling, as if I hadn't washed it in a week.
karol

Try leave-in conditioner, that way you can control how much you need.

Miss 1929

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Love the cocnut oil!

Especially the one with the gardenia in it!

I used it for ages when I had very long hair, but it took too much curl out so I stopped. But it never hurt my hair a bit.

desi_de_lu_lu

Practically Family
Miss 1929 said:
Especially the one with the gardenia in it!

I used it for ages when I had very long hair, but it took too much curl out so I stopped. But it never hurt my hair a bit.

That is what I thought. It (coconut oil) actually helps me grow my hair.. make sense?

I guess the protein stuff is what fries the hair. If coconut oil fried my hair, I would be bald by now!

lol

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
direfulzealot