Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Can you please recommend a jacket for me?

LaymanX

One of the Regulars
Looking for a slim fit A2 or a slim fit Highwayman style, preferably horse hide and made in North America. Price range is up to $1200.

I’ve considered the Aero Sheene (props to Carrie for patiently answering my questions) but the sizing just doesn’t work and Aero doesn’t really deviate from their set patterns.

I’m also looking at the Vanson Enfield, but not a fan of the wind guard on the front zipper.

My ideal jacket dimensions would be:
23 inch chest
21.5 inch waist
18.5 inch shoulders
25 inch back length

This factors in “wiggle” room for myself.

Thanks!

zhz

Practically Family
For A2, I would say BK's Werber, Monarch, these are slim fit jackets. And Eastman's slender A2.
Highwayman style, en...I think this is a HB style right? BK's Westfall is a good slim choice.

Give Johnson Leathers a try!
Call or email Alan, He'll get you what you want probably under 1k.

Last edited:

Edward

Bartender
Perhaps you could tell us what you're looking for in a jacket? What features do you want? Plain back or Beltback, for example. Do you want knits like an A2, or something without knit cuffs? There are a lot of options, both within and without Aero's range. If we know the features you want, then we could probably advise you better.

Another thought - if you're interested in an Aero, it might be worth shooting them an email for some advice, too - they know their own range inside out...

If you're looking for a slim jacket, though - avoid the Highwayman. It is by design a late-Fifities style boxy fit, not a slim one. You could try downsizing, but in my opinion all you'll end up doing then is wearing a boxy jacket that's a size too small. Better to find a jacket that works for you. If it's the simplicity of the Highwayman that appeals to you, then the Sheene - a sort of hybrid of the cafe racer fit and Highwayman appointments - would have been the logical choice. Why doesn 't it work - is it too tapered? (The measurements you give as ideal don't allow for much taper from chest to waist).

pawineguy

One Too Many
Aero (through Carrie) added an extra .5" to my Sheene, to each side from the arm holes down, so within reason they will definitely play around with existing patterns. You can also speak to her about removing the Enfield wind guard, as that is easily done on many jackets. I had mine removed from a Aero Cafe Racer in order to wear it open. (it was Carrie's idea to remove it for me) I assume you want to wear the jacket open?

ProteinNerd

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Aero are now able to do a lot of their jackets with the new Premier pattern....ask Carrie about that?

LaymanX

One of the Regulars
Wow, thanks for all the replies!

The Premier cut looks awesome, but does the front measure longer than the back? That bugs me.

As for what I'm looking for, I guess I want a clean looking slim fitting jacket like the Sheene. Unfortunately I seem to be between sizes for that jacket

LaymanX

One of the Regulars
That Eastman Slender A2 looks fantastic. How is the quality compared to Aero? I've owned a HWH, 50's half belt. Currently rocking a Golden Bear moto jacket.

Carrie @ Thurston Bros.

Sponsoring Affiliate
Looking for a slim fit A2 or a slim fit Highwayman style, preferably horse hide and made in North America. Price range is up to $1200.

I’ve considered the Aero Sheene (props to Carrie for patiently answering my questions) but the sizing just doesn’t work and Aero doesn’t really deviate from their set patterns.

I’m also looking at the Vanson Enfield, but not a fan of the wind guard on the front zipper.

My ideal jacket dimensions would be:
23 inch chest
21.5 inch waist
18.5 inch shoulders
25 inch back length

This factors in “wiggle” room for myself.

Thanks!

Hi LaymanX,

The measurements that you gave show that you'll be perfect in either a 36 or 38 Highwayman (we won't know which until we fit you using a fit jacket and find out which size you'll be most comfortable in). The Sheene in size 40 or 42 could be a good bet, but we need to get you a fit jacket to determine which size is best...

Hopefully this helps...you may want to ask around a bit to find out about our fit jacket program...a lot of TFL members have found the fit jacket program useful and they've received jackets that they're really happy with!

LaymanX

One of the Regulars
Thanks Carrie! I actually *did* talk to you already on another forum. :) I think I came to the conclusion that a 44 slim fit Sheene was close to my measurements but a bit snug, while a 46 was too big. I still might bite the bullet and order a fit jacket for the 44 slim fit Sheene, I just wanted to perform some due diligence first! I've sold two Aero jackets now due to sizing/fit issues at considerable loss so I'm going to be a bit more careful now.

On another topic, has anyone seen the page for the Eastman Slender A2? (http://www.eastmanleather.com/product_info.php?products_id=265)

It has this youtube link for a Jake Gyllenhaal movie where he wears the A2 so I thought it'd be a good way to see the A2 on an actual person. He then spends the entire clip brutally killing people in his leather jacket :eeek:

nick123

I'll Lock Up
I believe my size 38 HWM had identical shoulder and chest measurenents. It ran like a size 42.

Last edited:

morrison2951

Practically Family
Vanson Enfield- the windflap is really a nice touch. Much better than those bothersome storm cuffs in the Aero Highwayman.

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up
Yep- the storm cuffs in the sleeves of the HWM is a deal breaker for me. The wind flap is not. To each his own.

You can remove the storm cuffs in about 10 minutes or order one without them.

But in answer to the original question; you can get almost any jacket you desire from Johnson Leathers for about $700.

Brettafett

One Too Many
Get a Sheene test jacket and decide from there about an A-2.
Sheene ticks so many boxes!

Both ELC and Aero will make you a top-rate A-2, but check out Aerial Star. I have only heard positive reviews (from guys who have owned GW, ELC, Aero and others), very short wait time and very reasonably priced.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ThomW