Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Can you tell me something about this hat?

OAFT

New in Town
I was referred to this forum by an eBay seller. I'm looking for information about a hat I have. It looks old, but I know nothing about hats and want to know more before I make a fool of myself trying to sell it.

Here's the hat:
img60132wm.jpg

What style is it? Is this a fedora?
The maker was Marathon. How do I date the hat?
The feathers are not original. They were put there as a joke. I've seen tweed hats with feathers. Would this hat have had them?

TIA

Well, let's see what I can tell you without a picture of the inside of the hat. Marathon was a brand name of JC Penney. They sold lots of hats with this brand name on them. By the picture it looks to be a plush finish teardrop block or elongated porkpie hat. These were probably made in the 1960s.
The ribbon is likely braided cord. There are a few areas on the top that look like the plush finish is thin. Is this just the picture or is there some moth damage to the top of the hat?
That is about all I can tell you from your picture.

Regards to all,

J

OAFT

New in Town
inside of hat...

img60094cy.jpg

No, it's not just the picture. It's not in the best shape, but it makes a great costume hat or a drama prop. I only paid a few bucks for it and we used it for a kid's play where they had to dress as a daddy. A hat combined with a necktie tends to project that "Dad" image.

I don't want to present this as a 40s hat if it's from the 60s, for those purists who want their props to be period-authentic. The feathers were added as a lark, they're not original.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy