Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Canned Ham (of the camper variety)

shortbow

Practically Family
Yes, I think you're probably right about finding a vintage one for a lot less money, it's just finding one. Not something you see very often. Could probably count on one hand the number of originals I've ever seen anywhere. At any rate, I guess I have all winter to find one now. Getting hold of an original would be very cool.

shortbow

Practically Family
:eusa_clap Wow, those are great sites! Ta very much. I see the one I was looking at is certainly not of line on the price. Starting to get rather enthused about these.

FountainPenGirl

One of the Regulars
The Canned ham is cool. In the last couple of years I've noticed more of them out on the road than I've noticed for some time before. And I mean good looking ones in nice condition. Not just old beat up things that people pulled out. This year at the Iola Old Car Show I noticed people using some.

It's not a canned ham but my Ma and Dad still have the 1976 NUWA trailer that we've had since new. That's what we camped with at Iola this year although my husband and I used the 1963 Wenzel green canvas tent that my folks have had since new.

Talking about teardrop campers, It's interesting to note that in 1937 Outdoor Life magazine printed plans to build one. I'm not sure what month but a friend built one from the plans. It was all wood and worked out nice. He drives a '50 Chevy four door and a '37 DeSoto. He pulled the camper quite a few miles. Then sold it in favor of moving to another idea. He got a pretty good price for it too. In the neighborhood of what news go for. Now he's building wooden canoes now.

BoPeep

Practically Family
My husband seriously considered building a teardrop trailer before we bought this one. There are a lot of plans, and possibly even kits, available. A teardrop seems like luxury when you're used to strictly tent camping. Can't say that we've seen many trailers for sale (sorry ShortBow) but I agree with FountainPenGirl, they are making it out to the campgrounds (sorry we didn't run into you at Iola, btw). The last car show that we camped at had a handful of 60s vintage trailers. Though it seems everyone else's is just slightly bigger than ours. What a difference 2 feet makes! lol But this is a good size for one or two people. You could get back into it, Foofoogal! Here's to winter projects!!

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy