Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Cappellificio Cervo - Opinions?

job

One Too Many
I've been to their shop in Raleigh. (The hat lounge) I had them shorten a brim and block a Akubra Downunder to make it more of a fedora. 20 dollars total. The prices of their hats are a little high verses online since they do have more operating costs. Pablo is a wonderful person to work with. They do have a lot of Mayser hats.

Last edited:

TJ Hamilton

New in Town
My experience with the Hat Lounge is exactly the same as Job's. I found Pablo to be very helpful and a great guy. I went to the Durham location. However, you wouldn't go there to find the best prices. My wife and I are two weeks away from moving from the Boston-area to North Carolina, so I have a hunch Pablo will be seeing more of me.

danofarlington

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I own a Cervo, old stock from Worth & Worth. Great hat. It has never lost its shape.

Here's the conclusion I have come to after having a fair number of hats for a few years. The high-end Italian hats like Borsalino, and as I understand it Cervo, are very soft hats whose shaping is part of the purchase price. They are not stiff hats, and look terrific while they keep their shape. I have several very soft Borsalinos and baby them--no crushing, no rain. Once you have to re-block them you are on your own, as the new shaping probably won't be the same as the original. Doesn't matter what anybody says, similar is not the same. Much of the magic of those soft Italian hats is in their particular crown shaping, and somebody else taking a whack is likely not going to hit the target, even if similar on the surface. Brim work doesn't matter so much, I have found. On the other hand, many other makes of hat are stiffer and stand up to more abuse, can be re-blocked without losing the magic. I have re-blocked my several Open Roads with good results. In summary, any other hat besides soft Italian hats are good to go for reblocking. But if you buy a Borsalino or Cervo, plan to baby it, and you will be happier.

SALMAGUNDI

Vendor
Here's the conclusion I have come to after having a fair number of hats for a few years. The high-end Italian hats like Borsalino, and as I understand it Cervo, are very soft hats whose shaping is part of the purchase price. They are not stiff hats, and look terrific while they keep their shape. I have several very soft Borsalinos and baby them--no crushing, no rain. Once you have to re-block them you are on your own, as the new shaping probably won't be the same as the original. Doesn't matter what anybody says, similar is not the same. Much of the magic of those soft Italian hats is in their particular crown shaping, and somebody else taking a whack is likely not going to hit the target, even if similar on the surface. Brim work doesn't matter so much, I have found. On the other hand, many other makes of hat are stiffer and stand up to more abuse, can be re-blocked without losing the magic. I have re-blocked my several Open Roads with good results. In summary, any other hat besides soft Italian hats are good to go for reblocking. But if you buy a Borsalino or Cervo, plan to baby it, and you will be happier.

Well said.

SALMAGUNDI

Vendor
Gentlemen, I just wanted to add my two sense on Cervo:
In contrast with great modern day hats like Stetson, Dobbs, Meyser, Akubra, Borsalino, Biltmore, etc.., I find Cervo to be a very, very nice hat. Definitely in the top of its class. I do second what Bencraft said about Borsalino's from the 30's and 40's - I have had some come through my doors in need of re-blocking and to block those I almost feel like doing it for free.., - so no they are not quite that nice.
However, like Borsalino, Cervo has an extremely soft hand, and I hold their workmanship in high regard. In addition to the quality of their felt I am also a fan of the quality of the leather sweats as well. We have had Cervo for only a little over a year, so I cannot comment on anything older. However, I will mention that the samples I saw for next fall were just as amazing as the goods they made for 2010 if not better. I would especially keep an eye out for the 'Super Cervo' in fall 2011 - what an amazing hat.
With all that said, I still think danofarlington's comments above were on the money, in terms of planning to baby it. Hats that soft are a tough assignment - especially a raw edge. Sometimes I feel like something a little tougher like a Stetson or a Dobbs will take more of life's everyday abuse, but that is my take on Cervo anyway.

I am still interested in hearing Bencrafts thoughts..

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mythic