Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Caps or fedoras?Both??

moustache

Practically Family
I can tell that most men here wear at least one fedora.But what about caps?And which brand or type do you prefer??
I have a few.My favourite is a Borsalino Gruppo Doria tweed.
colorcap.jpg

And second is a dark grey Jonathan Richard herringbone cap.Third,a Harris tweed brown/almond colour mixture.
I wear caps during those days when a a fedora doesn't fit right.Or when it rains.Wool always does better then felt in the rain!!

Which caps do you prefer??Any Kodaks???

JD
Vancouver,Wa

moustache

Practically Family

The Duke

One of the Regulars
When it comes to caps I usually wear my black leather newsboy or either my grey bailey ascot.

moustache

Practically Family
Great prices!

Marc Chevalier said:
The buckles on those '20s caps are incredible. The buckle has an Art Deco design to it. I can't believe the incredibly low prices these caps went for!

bc_1_sbl.jpg

You are so correct about the prices.On ebay and at Goodwill,etc. A fraction of the price of a new cap(if modern,of course) and usually in good condition.It would be nice to see American men get into wool caps again instead of baseball caps. They are so much classier!!

JD

jake_fink

Call Me a Cab
Marc Chevalier said:

That sale made me more furious than most. You wouldn't have had a chance if you did bid. One vendor (with whom you are familiar) bought them all and may just give us a chance to buy them again - creating a situation where those who did bid are effectively bidding against themselves (since higher bids increase the purchaser/vendor overheads thus requiring higher starting bids... ugh!). Sure, that's their right to outbid EVERYONE, but does dealing on ebay always have to be like dealing with OPEC.

Ebay is starting to lose its lustre chez moi. Sadly, Ebay (and higher operating costs) have put a lot of "old stuff" shops out of business in my area. So it's get gouged or go without. I'll go without.

moustache

Practically Family
And made the shippers happy!!

jake_fink said:
That sale made me more furious than most. You wouldn't have had a chance if you did bid. One vendor (with whom you are familiar) bought them all and may just give us a chance to buy them again - creating a situation where those who did bid are effectively bidding against themselves (since higher bids increase the purchaser/vendor overheads thus requiring higher starting bids... ugh!). Sure, that's their right to outbid EVERYONE, but does dealing on ebay always have to be like dealing with OPEC.

Ebay is starting to lose its lustre chez moi. Sadly, Ebay (and higher operating costs) have put a lot of "old stuff" shops out of business in my area. So it's get gouged or go without. I'll go without.

It has made millions for the shippers as well ie FedEx,USPS,etc.Imagine their delight with online auctions!!!

JD

jake_fink

Call Me a Cab
herringbonekid said:
i don't get it. why wouldn't we have had a chance ?
there was only one bid.

There were about a dozen or so available and all purchased by one vendor. They went for different prices depending on the number of bids. The one you're looking at only had one bid, but the vendor clearly wanted those hats and sniped them with a high enough top price to trump every other bid. Presumably, had you bid on that one with one bid, the second bid would have been said vendor sniping you with his/her top price. So you owuldn't have had a chance.

Wow. Does that make any sense?

jake_fink

Call Me a Cab
Marc Chevalier said:
What he means is that this winning bidder places HIGH bids. If other folks had bid against him, they would have had to go sky high.

Or in a nutshell, as they say. :D

Ebay and the game.

A while back, about the time I join this group, there were several EBay conversations growing rapidly with bidding policies, ethics, sniping and the whole auction aspect of Ebay. In the end, it goes to the highest bidder that get the bid in at the last moment. So, the whole supply and demand function works but the battle tends to go to the wealthy here. Sometimes we luck out and get a great deal that has gone under the radar for the competition.

Problems with description, rating the condition, mis-identification and out and out deception all come into play. And that is the way the game is played.

Even Education is a double edged sword as it tends to raise prices and the expectations of the sellers too!

(He's Tron, he fights for the Users.)

Best regards

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maxraff