Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

care for a lambswool muff

kymeratale

One of the Regulars
Okay, I have searched and can't find what I am looking for online anywhere. I am hoping you ladies can help me out.

I have a lambswool muff where the skin is still attached to the wool. I got it out to use for a costume last weekend and noticed that it needed some repairs. The skin has gotten dry I guess and has split in a couple of places. I stitched it up where it needed it and everything was hunky-dorey. Then, on my way to the gig, the thermos I had hot lemon and honey in (outdoor gig in Ottawa in winter, brrr) leaked all over everything in the bag. Including the muff. It got soaked. I thought about just letting it dry and seeing what might happen, but I was worried about the honey causing mold or something, so I rinsed it off with water. I guess that was a bit dumb.:eusa_doh:

It is now dry, but the skin is way more stiff than it was before and it seems more brittle in a couple places. Particularly around where I stitched it up. It has already split in another spot and I am worried that if I handle it at all, it will continue. I was hoping to use it for the rest of these gigs this weekend and next.

So, is there anything I can do with it to prevent any further damage and perhaps restore it?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mythic