Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Carpenter's pants

The Good

Call Me a Cab
I was under the impression that carpenter jeans at least, were a more recent thing, such as the 1990s. Do these types of pants have vintage origins? When did the hammer loop, in particular, come about?

I remember having a pair of carpenter jeans as a kid, circa late 1990s to early 2000s, but I don't know if they are that much older.

cooncatbob

Practically Family
I used to buy chambray shirts and carpenter jeans in the work clothes section of Penny's and Sears in the early 70s, I think they must date much earlier.
You see the films of the making of the Hoover Dam and Golden Gate Bridge and the workers are wearing jeans.

shortbow

Practically Family
Yep, blue denim's been around in the US for about 150 years as material for work pants, it's this particular style I'm wondering about, seems to me they musta been around since the twenties or so, but I have no factual knowledge on that. I know they were around since the sixties because I wore them then. I kinda think somebody looked at a pair of bib overalls and though, hey, why don't we just whack off the bib and see it that flies.

I'm actually a bit surprised that, given the breadth of knowledge in evidence about such things here that someone hasn't nailed this to the wall.

Still, patience bear roses.:) Thanks for the replies.

shortbow

Practically Family
Well I've just about worn out my fingers and eyes surfing the net looking for the answer to this question, but to no avail. Apparently they dropped from the sky outside of time, or nobody knows, or it's simply too arcane for anyone to care. Guess it will have to remain one of those unanswered trivia questions in the realm of vintage workwear.

mattfink

Practically Family
I don't know about the exact date of the "hammer loop", but there are tons of these work style jeans made in the 1940's and 1950's. I have a pair of jeans by Osh Kosh from the 1950's with the hammer loop that I bought for my wife...could be earlier though.

mattfink

Practically Family
History of the Brush Loop

This site says they date from the 70's. At least for those wearing them for fashion.

I think the article is trying to say that women started wearing them in the 1970's....confusing statement I think.

"Luckily for the brush loop, during the 1970s, society's views on gender-appropriate clothing shifted. Both men and women began wearing carpenter pants and decorating them with splashes of paint."

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran