Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Carry on?

Miss Neecerie

I'll Lock Up
I am going up north in August for a mere 3 days and would -adore- not to have to check luggage. But the whole pesky quart zip bag with 3 oz bottles thing, has me fearing I cannot actually manage, and yet look decent.

I have a few things that -must- go into the ziploc and cannot be compromised on...they are

My t-gel shampoo (if i dont take this, it will be really bad scalp by day two)
Toothpaste

Pretty much everything else is game for switching to a solid or powder version of....

so ideas ladies? Can it be done, or should I just give in and check the small bag?

sixsexsix

Practically Family
Miss Neecerie said:
I am going up north in August for a mere 3 days and would -adore- not to have to check luggage. But the whole pesky quart zip bag with 3 oz bottles thing, has me fearing I cannot actually manage, and yet look decent.

I have a few things that -must- go into the ziploc and cannot be compromised on...they are

My t-gel shampoo (if i dont take this, it will be really bad scalp by day two)
Toothpaste

Pretty much everything else is game for switching to a solid or powder version of....

so ideas ladies? Can it be done, or should I just give in and check the small bag?

It can easily be done! Just get one of those little plastic travel bottles and put your shampoo in it. Buy a small toothpaste (the 0.99 ones) and you're good to go.

Miss Neecerie

I'll Lock Up
I guess I am just stressing because when you include foundation, conditioner, shampoo, toothpaste, hair gel.....

since -everything- liquid or gel has to be a 3oz container and you can only fill one stupid quart bag with the tiny bottles........

Darhling

Call Me a Cab
Even though I always brings tons of beauty products when I fly, I try and fit them into my carry on.

Here is what you do, go to the beauty section in a department store and explain them how your skin acts etc. and ask for small samples, even though you dont buy anything, most places will give youlots of samples. Here is what you can get

perfume
facecream
liquid foundation
and lots, lots more.

even some hairdressers have small samples like that, so if you need a finishing product maybe a hairdresser can help you out.

If I cant get the samples I need, I buy small containers and put my stuff into those. I can easily have my entire face/makeup & hair products in those small ziplock bags. For makeup remover I just buy babywipes.

The Shirt

Practically Family
Are you travelling with a boy? HA! I always put my extra items that won't fit in my bag into his.

Mineral makeup perhaps? Perfume wipes (or L'Occitane has some nifty little solids in tiny tins). I have often thought of stopping at a craft store to see if they have these tins to put things I cannot live without in to travel.

Miss Neecerie

I'll Lock Up
The Shirt said:
Are you travelling with a boy? HA! I always put my extra items that won't fit in my bag into his.

Mineral makeup perhaps? Perfume wipes (or L'Occitane has some nifty little solids in tiny tins). I have often thought of stopping at a craft store to see if they have these tins to put things I cannot live without in to travel.

alas...no traveling companion...

yea...I was thinking of using mineral stuff for this weekend, I do have some..and that would be one less item of liquid to fit in the damn ziploc....

and I was already going to use those -wet them in water to activate- face cleaning wipes....

great ideas so far for other things that are -dry- or solid.....i knew i could count on you ladies!

I am pondering trying a dry (or should that be wet) run...of the quart bag thing to find out just how much I can get in there....

The Shirt

Practically Family
Girlie! I always pack days before - I'm a paranoid girl though and the queen of over-packing. It cannot hurt. They more than you think they might.

Darhling

Call Me a Cab
also for shampoo, lotions, gels etc. that arent super runny I would use those tiny ziplock bags, and then just cut of a corner of the bottom when you arrive when you need to use a product. they don't take up as much space as small plastic containers (I have tried this, it works, they dont leak). They hold the right amount too.

Miss Neecerie

I'll Lock Up
Darhling said:
also for shampoo, lotions, gels etc. that arent super runny I would use those tiny ziplock bags, and then just cut of a corner of the bottom when you arrive when you need to use a product. they don't take up as much space as small plastic containers (I have tried this, it works, they dont leak). They hold the right amount too.

Can't do that.

The US carry on rules are:

One quart size zip top plastic bag.

Inside this one bag, must go -all- liquid and gel products, each individual product can be no larger then a 3 oz bottle.

Thats -all- the room for liquids/gels we get. Have more and you get to check the bag into baggage.

For a picture of what this baggie looks like

http://www.tsa.gov/311/311-carry-ons.shtm

Darhling

Call Me a Cab
Miss Neecerie said:
Can't do that.

The US carry on rules are:

One quart size zip top plastic bag.

Inside this one bag, must go -all- liquid and gel products, each individual product can be no larger then a 3 oz bottle.

Thats -all- the room for liquids/gels we get. Have more and you get to check the bag into baggage.

For a picture of what this baggie looks like

http://www.tsa.gov/311/311-carry-ons.shtm

Same rules here, but I am talking about those small bags, like 2" 'tall' and 1.5" wide to put in the liquid stuff and then store all those in the big bag. Like these

http://www.royalbag.com/2_mil_clear_zip_lock_bags.asp

PolkaDotMeggie

A-List Customer
One suggestion is ( depending on budget and situation) to buy some of it there, like your toothpaste, mouthwash, etc. and buy it in the small bottles. When I travel, I don't pack anything except the necessary items ( like your T-gel). Everything else I buy when I get there. Saves room in my luggage.

Miss Neecerie

I'll Lock Up
PolkaDotMeggie said:
One suggestion is ( depending on budget and situation) to buy some of it there, like your toothpaste, mouthwash, etc. and buy it in the small bottles. When I travel, I don't pack anything except the necessary items ( like your T-gel). Everything else I buy when I get there. Saves room in my luggage.

Yea...I might do that...I am just without my -own- car when I get there.....so I do have to have some stuff because can't control when I would be able to pop into a CVS and get stuff.

The t-gel is the real sticking point...because buying it there...its like 7 a bottle no matter where....and there are no trial sizes....so even if i end up with a bag full of just that.....hehehehe

Fleur De Guerre

Call Me a Cab
Darhling said:

What a brilliant idea! I'm so doing that next time I go visit my friend in Jersey when I don't like to check a bag...3x small zip-locks in my bigger one, 3 x portions of shampoo!

Sunny

One Too Many
I've got tons and tons of small bottles, mostly hotel shampoos and lotions that I've used, then washed out. IIRC they're less than 3 oz - more like 1 or 2 - and still hold more than I'll use for a weekend. And you can fit a heck of a lot of them into a quart-size bag.

Miss Neecerie

I'll Lock Up
Sunny,

Yea...I think I am going with bottles.....I just do not have enough faith in the TSA and the idea of an unlabeled small zip loc of mystery goo not being taken for something dubious.......TSA is just not that -smart- :rolleyes:

Miss 1929

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Zeig heil, Homeland Security!

Sometimes I think it's all a plot to make us unhappy... I have seen sample sizes bottles of T-Gel, Miss N! They do exist.
Are you still coming to the Bay Area too? Need a place to stay?

Miss Neecerie

I'll Lock Up
Miss 1929 said:
Sometimes I think it's all a plot to make us unhappy... I have seen sample sizes bottles of T-Gel, Miss N! They do exist.
Are you still coming to the Bay Area too? Need a place to stay?

You have? wow....I have never seen a sample....granted..I usually buy it by the largest possible size...but I do look in the sample areas a lot (new stuff is fun to try.....as my overcrowded bathroom attests to!) and have never seen them...

hehe yes...this is for that trip.....so still coming...and still working out all the details bar the first day and a half.....that i have sorted out.....

nothing like leaving everything to the last minute ;)

PS

A-List Customer
texasgirl said:
Last time I was at Bed Bath and Beyond they had a huge wall of the trial size items, tons to pick from.

They sure do! They even have pre-approved TSA bags that come with every sized legal container imaginable. They even have pre-typed labels for your little items.

I only fly stand-by and refuse to check my luggage for fear of being stuck at the airport without my things should I need something. So it is a carry-on everywhere I go. Three days in a carry on is a breeze! I was really concerned they'd take my makeup ( don't know why ) but I haven't had an issue. I also avoid security at all costs, like during a layover...I refuse to leave my gate area and if that means I starve then so be it, those lines are too long to navigate over and over for a nine dollar sandwich and three dollar bottle of water!

Babydoll

Call Me a Cab
I travel -a lot- for work, so I've become quite a pro at packing for carry on only. I freaked when they changed the rules for what can be taken onboard, but I've adjusted what I take with me a bit and it still all fits in the baggie. Here's an example of what I take:

shampoo (3 oz travel bottle I bought at Walmart)
body wash (3 oz travel bottle)
contact solution (travel size)
deodorant (3.5 oz size, not full... they've always let it go through)
roll on perfume oil (less than 1 oz.... not my normal perfume, but for travel it works)
hairspray (small travel size)
aloe vera gel (old hotel sample size lotion bottle)
liquid foundation (already less than 3 oz)
toothpaste (travel size)
mouthwash (travel size)

I use Clean and Clear face washing cream to wash my face in the morning, and because it's a cream it doesn't need to go into the baggie.

I use Ponds wipes at night to wash my face, so they're okay to not go in the baggie.

Things like lipstick don't need to go in the baggie. Remember, liquids and gels are the restricted items. Lipstick is a solid. Hooray!

I've even forgotten to take the baggie-o-stuff out of my laptop case before (outer pouch of the case doubles as my purse when flying), and they've not stopped me or searched me. I wouldn't advise it, but I've gotten through no problem.

Two suggestions: practice fitting all of your stuff in the baggie before you go, and take an extra empty one with you just in case something happens to your baggie during the trip - you'll have a backup for coming home.

Feel free to PM me if you want more travel tips. I recently did a nine day trip in a carry on suitcase and a backpack. When I go to Alaska next month, I'll pack for 3 days in my backpack. Traveling light totally can be done!

Happy travels!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
johnmichael