Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Cartoon shows that you remember watching as a kid

binkmeisterRick

A-List Customer
Doh! said:
Back when I was in college, Chuck Jones gave a really nice talk at our campus theater. The most amazing thing was that even though he was starting to get up there in years, he stood for a solid hour and took questions from the audience!

And there's nothing like seeing Looney Tunes on the Big Screen as God intended. Plus, if you ever get a chance to see the "Is there a doctor in the house?" gag, it REALLY works when the sillouette up front stands and says, "I'm a doctor!" It absolutely looks like an audience member standing there. Great stuff!

Toons on the big screen are fantastic! I'll have to keep an eye out for any special screenings in the area...;) The old Warner Bros. gags were great. It's funny all the jokes I get now, which I didn't as a kid! What's more, it's amazing all the inside jokes which made it to the screen. They even hid themselves in cartoons in one way or another.

Interesting tidbt on Daffy Duck's voice: When they created the character they didn't have a voice in mind for him. Leon Slessinger, the WB bigwig at the time, was a bit of a dolt and had a bit of a "lithp" in his voith. Someone had the bright idea to suggest a parody of Slessinger's voice for the duck. Well, when they made the first Daffy cartoon and screened it for Slessinger, they were pretty much shaking each other's hands and getting ready to be canned for what they did. When the short was over, Slessinger essentially said, "I like the cartoon. And he'th got a nith voith, too." He TOTALLY didn't get it! They kept their jobs and Daffy's voice, too! :p

herringbonekid, if you ever find out which cartoon you're thinking about (even if it's a bunch rolled up into one) let us know!

bink

jdjs

Familiar Face
Marc Chevalier said:
Don't know if anyone mentioned this, but the Hollywood Bowl is going to present "What's Opera, Doc?", "The Rabbit of Seville" and other WB cartoons on the big screen ... accompanied by a full symphony orchestra!!!

I went to this about ten years ago - it is an experience that cannot be matched. The biggest challenge - trying not to sing along!

Doh!

One Too Many
Marc Chevalier said:
Don't know if anyone mentioned this, but the Hollywood Bowl is going to present "What's Opera, Doc?", "The Rabbit of Seville" and other WB cartoons on the big screen ... accompanied by a full symphony orchestra!!!

Do you know the date? I'd love to see that... thanks!

Strider

One of the Regulars
No one has mentioned Bosko and Honey.

Hold_Anything.jpg

"Oh, Bosko!"

These two are my favorites.

Of course, I also enjoy "Crusader Rabbit".

horses_charger.jpg

Underdog...

udog-1.jpg

Woody Woodpecker ...

guesswho.jpg

Mr. Magoo...

mrmagoo1.jpg

and more recently:

Animaniacs
animaniacs_logo.gif

I really just can't get behind the cartoons of Today. I can always watch Looney Tunes or Tom & Jerry and laugh 'til I'm red, though. Today's toons have these long drawn out storylines, where Tom & Jerry had an anvil to the face. You knew Tom was going to get hosed, but it was funny anyway. Every time the Coyote from Looney Tunes got a box marked "ACME" you knew something crazy was about to go down. *BLAM!* ha ha ha! Got you good! ha ha!

The Animaniacs had slapstick down to an art. Also, they sang educational songs on their shows. I once got an A+ in Geography in school because I knew all the states and their capitals, thanks to Wakko's "States & Capitals" song.

Lincsong

I'll Lock Up
Pink Panther

When I was young I didn't care for them. But, I've watched some recently and I enjoy them more. I liked Huckleberry Hound, Atom Ant, Hong Kong Phooey.

Hiram

New in Town
"Made of pen and ink, she can win you with a wink..."

I have the complete Betty Boop collection. I also love all the Warner Bros. cartoons: Bugs, Road Runner, Loony Toons, Merrie Melodies... true classics that can't be beat.

I think The Animaniacs were the first thing to come along in years that came close to capturing that old magic. Right up there with Tex and Chuck for a sly adults-only gag that sails right over the heads of, well, four year olds nowadays.

Dragonia

New in Town
I found it strange that early on in the thread MysteryGirl thought Betty Boop was too much for the kids. How's that? Maybe I'm just open and realistic with my daughter.

We also load up on the cheap or free vintage cartoons, but our favorites are Betty Boop, Little Audrey, and all those so called "banned" cartoons, like Red Hot Riding Hood! Woo Hoo!

mysterygal

Call Me a Cab
Betty Boop's attire is not something I want my girls thinking it's proper for a lady to wear...I am a very over protective parent..I'll admit that. But this is how I see my kids: Right now, their brains are little sponges absorbing everything. I have (in the scheme of things) a short window of time with them to try to instill the best moral character and show them the best role models so they can be the best they can be. There is no Disney in this house either...which shocks a lot of parents also.

SWTroopers

Familiar Face
Cool coincidence - I was just thinking about cartoons. Warner brothers rates as my favorite. Also really enjoyed Tom and Jerry (Spike rules!), Mighty Mouse and Heckle and Jeckle.

I really struggle with what to let my daughter watch (she's 5). Most of the new stuff is harmless, but most of it is so drenched in sarcasm and irony. I think too much could jade a kid. Thank goodness for the $1 bin with all the classic cartoons. I can't wait for her to get a little bit older so I can introduce her to the Three Stooges (live, not the cartoons!).

Marc

Lady Day

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
jake_fink said:
The Fleischer Studios' Popeye and Betty Boop are great too!

popeye_fleischer1.jpg

Watching Popeye is what made me want to be an animator. As far as clasics, you cant go wrong with Rocky and Bullwinkle, the Flinstones, or even more recently, Danger Mouse.

But my FAVORITE oldie is "An Itch in Time" from the 1940s about a hick flea who just wouldnt stop eating. He'd sing "Food around the corner . . . " I remember seeing that as a kid, now you cant. Damn PC-ness.

LD

jake_fink

Call Me a Cab
This has probably been posted before, but for cartoon fans - and fans of old movies in general, this is a great site:

http://www.maxwelldemille.com/

For a few bucks a month I watch choo-oons (cartoons) with my little monkey every night after bath time.

And here's the little fella now, in his choo-oon watching robe and asking for them (he likes Flip the Frog and the opening Maxwell Demille theme).

choo-oons.jpg

(Yes, my floor needed sweeping that day.)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24